PDA

View Full Version : jumping position

honda250xrider
06-15-2003, 05:30 AM
i was wondering what is the best way to jump.. what i mean by that is i see alot of people almost sitting down when they jump.... I stand up with my knees slightly bent...... I'm not sure if almost sitting down while you are in the air helps or not... i think its easy to control the quad when you are standing up with a slight bend in your knees but i have never tried sitting down im just not sure how that would all work with me... i just wondering if jumping while basically sitting down helps the distance, higher maybe you jump?... thanks for any advice you guys can give me

trx400ex
06-15-2003, 05:42 AM
try it on a little jump and you will see why its not a good idea

Ryan
06-15-2003, 06:19 AM
I don't know how many people hit jumps sitting down :confused: . Usually when you hit a jump sitting down, the quad can be more of a hassle to handle in the air. It better stand up when your hitting a jump.

Just do whatever is comfortable with you.

honda250xrider
06-15-2003, 06:57 AM
i did not mean hitting a quad while sitting down, but more or less while you are in the air.. sorry i dont know who this person is, if someone would tell me i will give them the credit for the picture.. i took it off pappy's post about raush creek... but this is what i mean how he is almost sitting down or pratically is sitting down, if there are any advantages by this

06-15-2003, 07:04 AM
i barely stand up

speedy400
06-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by honda250xrider
i did not mean hitting a quad while sitting down, but more or less while you are in the air.. sorry i dont know who this person is, if someone would tell me i will give them the credit for the picture.. i took it off pappy's post about raush creek... but this is what i mean how he is almost sitting down or pratically is sitting down, if there are any advantages by this
In this pic he's probally just trying to get as much air as possible and pulling his quad up to his body(for every action there is an equal and oppsite reation) but I'm guessing he stands up again when he lands. If you sit on a landing, unless its perfect, it hurts....I think that post made sence:ermm: sorry if it dosn't-darren

flyin#5
06-15-2003, 07:27 AM
i always stand up but sometimes in the air i will kind of sit down with all most my wieght still on my legs but my ***** bearly touching the seat.... but then when i would land i stand up.

racerx573
06-15-2003, 04:56 PM
It depends on the jump.

Nausty
06-15-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by racerx573
It depends on the jump.

exactly, there are so many differant jump positions and ways of taking off. I even jump sitting down on certain jumps to keep my momentum up and save energy. Seriously though its almost impossible to teach somone how to jump over typed words on the internet because it is so easy to take things the wrong way and there is so many differant ways depending on conditions.

Narly R
06-15-2003, 06:59 PM
I have never tried going off a jump sitting down but yesterday I tried it just too see what it would feel like off a 25 ft double and it felt soo weird but then after like 2 times I nose dove (which I figured would happen) but it was cool!:ermm:

micah
06-16-2003, 01:07 PM
I thought I remember reading some pro say that sometimes when he hits jumps with a downward landing like a table top or double that he hits the jump sitting. He said this would cause the front end to go down. I think he also said that sometimes in the air he would stand up straight and the wind drag on his body would cause the front end to go down. Just something i read.

racerx573
06-16-2003, 02:04 PM
On jumps that dont have a lip, you need to preload the rear shock. So it will spring you a little more. Do this by sitting back on the seat, and usually keeping on the gas to pull the rear end down, this works best for jumps out of corners, etc. On jumps with big lips, I usually stand straight up or semi-stand up to keep pressure off the rear shock so it doesnt sky rocket me into the air and have a hard landing. Also on jumps with big lips, you can let off for a second and then pin it again to help keep the quad low. I have been out to John Natalie's and he was at a race last weekend, and he was telling us different styles. Your best bet is to watch and learn from others.

honda250xrider
06-16-2003, 03:15 PM
thanks for all the info guys

Predator19
06-16-2003, 04:06 PM
I dont hit jumps sitting down because it tends to buck my hind end up in the air.

06-17-2003, 02:53 AM
If the face of the jump is big enough..and I do mean very big..you can hit jumps sitting down. But I try not to make it a habit..like predator19 said it can buck you off with a quickness if your not ready for it..

roostin_dale
06-17-2003, 07:48 AM
I stand up on the face of the jump so im about 2 inches off the seat. And i lean far back so i get more preload...then when im off the lip..i'll stand so my butt is about 6 inches off the seat or standing striaght up....

kinda confusing..im not a good explainer