PDA

View Full Version : 250x wont idle........

ZRider400
06-15-2003, 05:14 AM
Ive tried everything....cleaned the carb, adjusted throttle freeplay, idle adjustment, adjusted valves, blah blah blahhhhhhhh im getting pissed.. right when you let off the gas it just dies and doesnt idle. anything else to check?///....

quadrcr87
06-15-2003, 08:28 AM
adjust idle speed idle mixture and needle jet. it might be float bowl level too

ZRider400
06-15-2003, 10:11 AM
how do you adjust the float bowl level....i never had to do this b4:ermm:

quadrcr87
06-16-2003, 05:15 PM
take the float bowl off and look at the float from the side it should be level. if not bent the metal tab the needle sits on. right on the float to correct it

wilkin250r
06-17-2003, 03:44 AM
You can't adjust the float level in the 250x, you can only make sure it is installed properly.

Does the quad run good otherwise, but just won't idle?

And you tried the idle adjustment screw all the way in?

And you tried turning your pilot screw all the way in, then out 2 1/4 turns?

Is the quad sufficiently warmed up?

I had a similar problem on my 250X, it turned out to be a rip in the insulator (the little boot that goes from the carb to the cylinder head) At idle, it would suck air through this rip, so it wasn't getting any fuel and it would die. At higher rpms, it couldn't suck enough air through the rip, so it also sucked air through the carb, and thus it got fuel. The result was, it only ran at high rpms, and it was lean, so it ran like a raped ape. WOT all the time, because that was the only way to keep it running. I rebuilt the carb three times before I ever looked at the insulator to find the problem.

Chanman420q
06-17-2003, 06:30 AM
sounds like my problem........ only it was the choke

also unblock me :grr: