PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Project 400ex RPM front hubs - they have alot of sideplay!

Ben
06-15-2003, 01:13 AM
Well I spent another evening trying to finish the project 400ex but I encountered another problem - this time with the RPM Cyclone front hubs :mad: They come with bearings and the only thing the instructions say to do is pull the OEM hubs and bolt these up. Well I did that and I had about 1/2 inch+ of sideways play (i.e. I could move the hub from side to side more than a 1/2 an inch). Obviously they are not supposed to have any side play.

Well I called Zracer and Kenny and they suggested that I take out the spacers in the OEM hubs and put them on the spindle. I thought that worked but it didn't - I still have about 1/8" side play on the right spindle and 1/4" side play on the left spindle. :cuss: I have enclosed a picture that shows exactly what parts I am putting on the spindle and in what order (read them left to right). If anyone has any ideas how to eliminate this side play please let me know as I am stuck at this point :grr:

Thanks! :)

Ben

Pappy
06-15-2003, 03:26 AM
where are the dust seals ben:confused:

Ben
06-15-2003, 03:28 AM
The RPM hubs have some fancy billet dust seals - they aren't in the picture and don't interfere with the castle nut, etc...

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-15-2003, 06:14 AM
Have you called RPM? Their very nice people, I'm sure they can help ya out.

OutlawEX
06-15-2003, 09:06 AM
:o

lil400exman
06-15-2003, 01:12 PM
hmm sounsd like the splines are machined loose or your braing might be bad or is it new?:confused:

boogiechile
06-15-2003, 03:07 PM
You have to leave the spacer that goes in the middle of the bearings out. It is keeping the tapered bearings from reaching the races and having the right preload. You should be able to lock the hub tight by leaving it out. Then back off a half turn or so and then tighten the nut to just take out the play.

Or have you already tried it that way.

I have never had RPM hubs but tapered bearings are tapered bearings and must be preload adjusted.

K_Fulk
06-15-2003, 03:30 PM
Rpm is supposed to supply a spacer that goes between the bearing and nut. They forgot it when i bought mine too give them a call and theyll send ya some. If you want i could go pull it out and take a pic of what it looks like.

There great once you get them mounted up.

K_Fulk
06-15-2003, 03:34 PM
Once you get the spacer you need, you dont need the front spacer from the oem hub.

Do you still have to use 88-89 250r rotor bolts on them?

Edit- the only stock spacer you really need is the inside one, tommorow night ill take my hub off and take a picture in the order of how mine are on. Since im goinig to powdercoat my spindles anyway.

Ben
06-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Once you get the spacer you need, you dont need the front spacer from the oem hub.

Do you still have to use 88-89 250r rotor bolts on them?

Edit- the only stock spacer you really need is the inside one, tommorow night ill take my hub off and take a picture in the order of how mine are on. Since im goinig to powdercoat my spindles anyway.

Thanks for the information - it is GREATLY appreciated! They sent me some spacers but they are too narrow for the spindles and as a result I can't even get the castle nut on the spindle. Thanks for the pictures tonight, I'll keep my eyes open. I'm also going to call them today and see what they have to say.

boogiechile - thanks for the information on the middle spacer, I figured it wouldn't help but you substantiated that. Thanks :)

Ben

Ben
06-16-2003, 07:18 AM
Well I just got off the phone with Jeremy at RPM. He told me that my spacers just need to be ground down some and that they will fit fine. Apparently they had a couple mis-sized spacers a little while back but they caught it and have remedied that situation now. Hopefully I can post some picture tonight :D

Rip_Tear
06-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Glad you got that problem solved! Its so anoying when things like that happen, and just one phone call solved it! :D