PDA

View Full Version : tips to run faster in the woods?

Martin Blair
06-14-2003, 06:07 PM
hi im goign xc racing in a month and need some tips i think im pretty fast i can do 4 miles at finger lake from the track to the camp ground in 15minutes, but any tips? i think i still need to shave off some time.

RIDER11X
06-14-2003, 07:23 PM
Tires? Gearing?.......................................... .... Skills?:rolleyes: :D Just Kidding on the last one>:D ;)

zzbudzz
06-14-2003, 07:59 PM
don't hit any trees!don't get stuck!

Bunkerking217
06-14-2003, 08:28 PM
keep a steady pace and get faster as the race goes on...dont slow down when you get to the mud, and get a water thing for your back - they help!

trailburner
06-15-2003, 01:56 AM
corner speed is very inportant!! anybody can hold it wide open in the straights, the corners are where you either make or lose time .......;)

Ryan
06-15-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Bunkerking217
keep a steady pace and get faster as the race goes on...dont slow down when you get to the mud, and get a water thing for your back - they help!

Are you talking about one of the water bags that hook on to your back (shoulders) and you drink from the tube? If so, are they even legal in XC racing?

Tip: If you don't wanna be ran off the trail by someone who is going to lap you, Let him pass :blah: .

infantry317
06-15-2003, 06:31 AM
Physical ENDURANCE/competitivess IS KEY. steering dampner helps to keep you straight when running over stumps and bumps.
Keep you weight forward in the turns. Good shocks.
Good luck! and have a Camelback for water, they are legal for AMA events.

cjpoole1
06-15-2003, 06:56 AM
try to walk as much of the track as you can before race. Lok for places that might be bottle necks or places people will get hung up and try to find a route around them.

Martin Blair
06-15-2003, 08:56 AM
ok thanks for all the info i have a water pack that goes on your back and stores some tools which i i wont be carring, tools that is, its a harescramble so i dont think they will mind. i will look for ways arround everything and i got stock shocks so im ready to take a beating.

RIDER11X
06-15-2003, 10:11 AM
Start with Locktite on your skidplate bolts. Make your quad as tough as possible. Use 6 ply tires with slime in them. Heavy guage skids to protect your machine. The tougher your machine, the faster you can go worry free.
Also run the softest suspension you can without bottoming, so you can use less energy getting beat up. Good Luck!!!!;)

ex kid
06-16-2003, 10:53 AM
the best one i can think of is try to practice with someone faster than you. train, by running and riding. know your bike, dont be scared casue if your are your going to get yourself or someone else hurt.

250x#93
06-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Good tips:devil:

MojaveKing
06-16-2003, 03:52 PM
very good ideas.....!! thanks!!

i really think u gusy shold hgavea GNCC race in Minnesota?...ya know...like in Februrary, or March when there still is some snow on the ground!! man that would be sweet!! what u gusy think....talk about MUD.....and it could be warm too......:D

jshtex
06-17-2003, 10:51 AM
While walking or pre riding the track (if they let you) look for places you can pass. Remember you don't have to stay on the same path as everyone else. You just have to stay between the markers. What I mean is that you can go off a trail or cut a corner, as long as you stay on the correct side of all the markers.

Sometimes this is the only way to get around a utility quad that thinks (for whatever reason) that he can't let you pass.

Have someone there that is familiar with the bikes in your class so they can let you know where you stand. For instance they can tell you if you are way ahead or behind. It is good to know if you are way ahead so you can relax a little, maybe take it a bit easier so you don't screw up.

bradley300
06-20-2003, 03:11 AM
i read an article where Ballance said to try and pay atttention to the trail, not the trees. he said if you look at the trees trying not to hit them you probably will nail one.