PDA

View Full Version : stroking

The400exExorcist
01-08-2002, 02:43 PM
what is involved in this? im looking into doing this

400exJOE
01-08-2002, 03:13 PM
it changes your crank and rod so the actual stroke (how far up and down the piston moves) increases in distance. This gives you more displacement. My guess is its pretty pricey but I sure someone around here can give you an idea.

JabberJaw
01-08-2002, 03:20 PM
I'm not even going to comment on this one :-)

330exracer
01-08-2002, 03:24 PM
lol jabber

Jekyl_22
01-08-2002, 05:38 PM
I was told that you can just shave the stock crank to do this (I think).

hogglett
01-08-2002, 05:53 PM
I talked to Tom Miller a few weeks ago about his 4.5 mm stroker crank. Tom said that he uses the stock crank with a heavy duty rod (stock length) and a special JE piston.
it is kinda pricey
Piston 189.00
bore 40.00
stroke crank 625.00

there was an option of either a carrillo rod or a shot peened rod
personally i think i would go with the carrillo myself

kabd69667
01-08-2002, 06:21 PM
Carrillo's are 1200

Chef
01-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by kabd69667
Carrillo's are 1200

$120 or $1200? Thats crazy for a quad rod (hey, that rhymes!)

With your 89mm piston, I'm almost positive that the 4.5mm stroker will get 465, and I'm totally sure a 6mm will get you 472.

Smoker
01-08-2002, 08:17 PM
The $1200 for the Carillo is from GT Thunder right? If you notice that includes a complete gasket set for the engine, a new carrillo rod, a new custom sized rod bearing, labor to install rod on crank, true crank, weld crank, labor to remove engine from the frame and reinstall in the frame, labor to tear down engine for crank work, new heavy duty valve springs, oil, and a new CDI with no rev. limiter. Personally, I would like to know how much for just the rod itself, extract the crank myself and have www.crankworks.com do it, I'm sure you can more than cut that bill in half. Nothing against GT Thunder but that price is steep.

crday98
01-08-2002, 11:41 PM
lol,jabber you already BEAT me to it,i will also not comment but it is REALLY HARD not to:D :D :D

01-09-2002, 12:52 AM
i belive the 1200 he means to tear down the quad and do all the work. just not the rod it's self cause i couldn't see the rod it's self more than 250

TrX465
01-09-2002, 01:35 PM
crank works is awesome note there in az im in az... they did some stuff for free ,for me at least ..... i like them nice guys ,they do a lot of banshee work , I RECOMMEND THEM...

400exRacerX
01-09-2002, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by JabberJaw
I'm not even going to comment on this one :-)

LMFAO, haha that was funny, because 400exExorsist never mentioned what type of stroking he is planing on doing......;) lol jk

stevengates45
01-09-2002, 02:58 PM
when a bike is called stroked out, they put a longer rod in it.

The400exExorcist
01-09-2002, 05:31 PM
:D lol never even thought of it like that, How much more horsepower could I get with this? Im currently at about 40 horses

Wheelie
01-09-2002, 06:42 PM
Stevengates:

A longer rod does not give you a longer stroke, in order to achieve a longer stroke, the throw of the crankshaft has to be modified so the rod is farther from the center of the crankshaft than it is when it's stock.

Because of this, a stroker will require a shorter rod, or a modified piston with the wrist pin placed higher in the piston. The latter being the more desired to maintain a good rod/stroke ratio. If a shorter rod is used with a stroker crankshaft, more pressure is placed on the piston skirts resulting in faster piston wear.

Sorry so long, I'm bored. Peace:D

stevengates45
01-09-2002, 08:01 PM
I still dont see how a shorter rod would give u more compression???? explain that. not tryin to flame, but its common since, longer rod, higher compression.

Taco
01-10-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by stevengates45
I still dont see how a shorter rod would give u more compression???? explain that. not tryin to flame, but its common since, longer rod, higher compression.

I dont know where you get that? I didnt see anything about increasing compression.

01-10-2002, 08:29 AM
think of it as a crank on a bicycle. if your crank arm's are longer it's easy to peddle but you top out your speed fast(thats why strokers are more low end) but if you have shorter crank arms on your bike it's harder to peddle but when it gets going it goes faster. Which is your top end. Now instead of a rod say your leg is your rod connected to your crank and your knees your piston. To keep your knees(pistons) from hitting you in your chin(you cylinder head)you need to shorten the rod(leg) to keep the piston in it's area(cylinder)...I know this is a wierd comparison but i hope it worked out your trouble and i hope you've ridden a bike to understand what i'm saying

stevengates45
01-10-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Tacostrk

I dont know where you get that? I didnt see anything about increasing compression.

read the previous posts smart one. :rolleyes:

"If a shorter rod is used with a stroker crankshaft, more pressure is placed on the piston skirts resulting in faster piston wear. " that was posted by wheelie. :rolleyes:

01-10-2002, 04:44 PM
the preasure isn't from compression but the crank pushing the piston into the side of the cylinder. This is why cylinders get a oval shape inside. This is why it's also smart to bore with every new piston

Taco
01-10-2002, 06:10 PM

read the previous posts smart one. :rolleyes:

"If a shorter rod is used with a stroker crankshaft, more pressure is placed on the piston skirts resulting in faster piston wear. " that was posted by wheelie. :rolleyes:

i think you need to reread the previous post there smartie i am in no way trying to flame you but that post says nothing about compression. I do not know any simpler way to explain this to you. So i guess you just need to hit the books a lil harder.

The400exExorcist
01-11-2002, 01:21 PM
yep this ones going to the flames just like all of my other posts:rolleyes:

stevengates45
01-11-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Tacostrk

i think you need to reread the previous post there smartie i am in no way trying to flame you but that post says nothing about compression. I do not know any simpler way to explain this to you. So i guess you just need to hit the books a lil harder.

how can u sit there & read wheelie's post & not see the word "compression"? haha, just forget it, this forum has too much arguing neway.

Taco
01-11-2002, 03:08 PM

how can u sit there & read wheelie's post & not see the word "compression"? haha, just forget it, this forum has too much arguing neway.

I must be ignorant and need you to point it out to me. Please do I will admit when i am wrong. The word compression is no where in that post.

kabd69667
01-11-2002, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
Stevengates:

A longer rod does not give you a longer stroke, in order to achieve a longer stroke, the throw of the crankshaft has to be modified so the rod is farther from the center of the crankshaft than it is when it's stock.

Because of this, a stroker will require a shorter rod, or a modified piston with the wrist pin placed higher in the piston. The latter being the more desired to maintain a good rod/stroke ratio. If a shorter rod is used with a stroker crankshaft, more pressure is placed on the piston skirts resulting in faster piston wear.

Sorry so long, I'm bored. Peace:D

The word "compression" is not in that post

quadfamily
01-11-2002, 03:52 PM
Stevengates,
You are not reading that post correctly. Wheelie is talking about the shorter rod causing an unfavorable "rod angle", thus putting added "pressure"(not compression) on the piston skirt (the side of the piston, not the dome). The longer the stroke or the shorter the rod the more the rod pushes the piston sideways instead of straight up. The skirt of the piston is the sides of it. The skirt keeps the piston straight in the bore. As far as a piston is concerned the compression is determined by the shape of the top of the piston and the placement of the wrist pin in relation to the top of the piston. Other things effect compression as well such as the shape and size of the combustion chamber in the head and the stroke of the crankshaft. Stevengates is obviously not as familar with some these terms as some of you are. He is not stupid. There was a time when all of us didn't know squat about engines but we learned. We can all learn from each other. I hope you understand a little better Steven.

stevengates45
01-11-2002, 04:01 PM
whoooopps! :p :p :p I see now, i mistook pressure for compression.! Now I feel like when u were younger & u do somthin really stupid in front of a huge crowd & every1 seems to notice it! Tacostrk, I got ur im, i was away. Every1, sorry, sorry! :D Like i said though, when i read these posts i just scan over them & i mistook pressure for compression! I thought he had said that if he put a shorter rod it would give more compression. Yes quadfamily, i do know alot about motors, stroking isnt my best category, guess i should stay out! Anyways, gotta go, sorry again guys! :D later.

Gates