PDA

View Full Version : ZPS question

Chanman420q
06-14-2003, 02:23 PM
With SSD,ZPS etc i know it lowers the quad. so would with not be a good idea for XC riding? basicly will my quad sit lower to the ground ( bottom of quad to the bottom of the ground ) i think it does right? :confused: :huh

06-14-2003, 03:13 PM
its better for xc

Chanman420q
06-14-2003, 05:32 PM
so is my ground clearance gunna suffer with ZPS or is it going to stay the same?

Martin Blair
06-14-2003, 05:56 PM
acording to elka the bike will ride 2 inches lower up fornt, but thats still 8 inches of gc up front and you only got 4 in the rear so your gona scrape anyway just stadel the ruts nd rocks.

My question is if i buy ssd elkas for the front and dont get a rear till thsi winter will the bike ride funny? or will rear sag actuall level the bike out?

deepcj7
06-14-2003, 07:17 PM
I use my PEP ZPS for XC and I don't have a problem. There has been a couple of times that I couldn't avoid a rock or two, just make sure your runnin a good skidplate. Pro's outway the cons. I love my PEP!!

06-14-2003, 07:19 PM
My question is if i buy ssd elkas for the front and dont get a rear till thsi winter will the bike ride funny?

Depends if the rear being too "tall" and pushing the front sounds funny to you or not :)

Seriously you should consider getting both front and rear at the same time so the quad is BALANCED and you dont blame the new front shocks for problems that arent its fault.

It will still ride better with the new fronts but it would be much better than this to have the rear also.

Installing the fronts before the rear does seem to bother some guys more than others and I guess a lot has to do with how you ride etc and the new fronts will be able to better handle the forces of the taller rear but if you must do it in steps at least consider lowering the current preload on the rear to reduce the amount of unequalled ride height.

bmw500hp
06-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Depends if the rear being too "tall" and pushing the front sounds funny to you or not :)

Seriously you should consider getting both front and rear at the same time so the quad is BALANCED and you dont blame the new front shocks for problems that arent its fault.

It will still ride better with the new fronts but it would be much better than this to have the rear also.

Installing the fronts before the rear does seem to bother some guys more than others and I guess a lot has to do with how you ride etc and the new fronts will be able to better handle the forces of the taller rear but if you must do it in steps at least consider lowering the current preload on the rear to reduce the amount of unequalled ride height.

Correct! and eventually you must balance it..prob better sooner than later. Save yourself time and headache...balance the front and rear from the beginning...I did'nt...and wished I would have.

when this situation occurs, you then cannot fully dial your quad in regards to the front...it's like you are robbing peter to pay Paul...Do the front and back within a reasonable time frame.

Chanman420q
06-15-2003, 01:54 PM
ok i know my hide highth is gunna go down....... point of the ZPS, but my question is, WILL I LOSE GROUND CLEARANCE?

06-15-2003, 03:47 PM
you will loose 2 inches up front but the rear will stay the same as it is right now...and you have 4 inches in the rear...so minus 2 inches up front wont realy make that big of a difference

Chanman420q
06-15-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
you will loose 2 inches up front but the rear will stay the same as it is right now...and you have 4 inches in the rear...so minus 2 inches up front wont realy make that big of a difference

so i lose 2 inches of ground clearance?

well...... i ride trails so... im gunna need all i can get!!
gues ZPS isnt for me :ermm:

06-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q

gues ZPS isnt for me :ermm: you ahve 4 inches in the rear...and 8 inches up front with ZPS shocks...if your going over something more than 4 inches, but less than 8 inches you will get stuck anyway....i dont realy see the problem here

deepcj7
06-15-2003, 05:31 PM
I ride trails and I would not give up my ZPS! I guess you just believe the negative effects and don't really care about the positive, it's your loss.:D

06-15-2003, 05:57 PM

gues ZPS isnt for me :ermm:

Your missing one very very big point, and thats the rear clearance is what you need to be concerned about.

You wouldnt be able to lower the front below the rear skid anyhow (well you could but it wouldnt ride worth a crapp) and its the rear skid that gets high ended everytime.

If your seriously interested in ground clearence run the tallest rear tire you can find cause your clearance is 1/2 the actual tire dia less the carrier and any sprockets or skid plates etc. and thats where you will need to add if you want a higher clearance.

Raising or lowering the front ride height wount do squat.

Martin Blair
06-15-2003, 06:50 PM
so im getting some elkas and only gettign rebuild this winter the ssd rebuild will level it out but i could lower compresion and preload to get it to ride right until then?

QuadTrix6
06-15-2003, 10:34 PM
if you go with PEP the ride hight (sag) is adjustable by moving a clip so you can make it sit as high or low as you want ;)

Doibugu2
06-16-2003, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
if you go with PEP the ride hight (sag) is adjustable by moving a clip so you can make it sit as high or low as you want ;)

Trix is right.

You want to get the ZPS. I ride trails too, and I never have a problem. I seem to get stuck even less, because the shocks move some much easier.

Chanman420q
06-16-2003, 10:05 AM
so if i get the ZPS i can adjust it not to sag til i get the rear rebuit? so im leveled out

wilkin250r
06-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Just to re-iterate what others have said.

There is a difference between ground clearance and ride height. Your ground clearance is the lowest portion of your quad, which is the rear skidplate. If you hit anything, this is where you hit. If you are hitting something under the engine or in the front, then you have serious problems. Its like tryin to drive straight over a bowling ball.

Yes, your front will sag more, but you aren't going to hit any rocks with it. The lowest part of your quad will still be your rear skidplate, and this height is set by your tires, not your shocks.

06-16-2003, 03:43 PM
so if i get the ZPS i can adjust it not to sag til i get the rear rebuit? so im leveled out

Not exactly.

You can adjust (and most like screw it all up setting wise) the ride height thru changes in the preload and reversing the spring transfers (sometimes) but it will still compress the sag spring so it will still sag.

Its still best to get it all at once and if $$$ is a concern you may want to consider picking up a pair of cheap used works fronts that will not have the ride height issues working with the stk rear. Then just sell them once you have all the $$ you need for the full set up. and you didnt have to keep getting beat up by the stockers.

bmw500hp
06-16-2003, 11:07 PM
ok i know my hide highth is gunna go down....... point of the ZPS, but my question is, WILL I LOSE GROUND CLEARANCE?

Ok, your question is will you loose ground clearance, well if you measure ground clearance, technically, by skidplate height then (no) Will you hit a few more obstacles from the bellyskid and front end being somewhat lower on a zps system (yes). Is that a little closer to the answer you wanted.

06-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Not exactly.

It depends on how the company sets up their sag method. If you go with pep you can raise the ride height all the way by moving the clip until the ZPS spring is fully compressed and the main springs are not. That way it will raise the ride height by trasfering the weight to the heavier main springs so there will be a lot less sag. And you are not really making to many changes to mess up the shocks. Just remember where the clip was before. :p

Chanman420q
06-17-2003, 01:46 AM
so with PEP u can sorta like... turn the ZPS off in a sence?

QuadTrix6
06-17-2003, 06:51 AM
so with PEP u can sorta like... turn the ZPS off in a sence?

yea. it will ride a little different but im sure it wont be that major.

06-17-2003, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
yea. it will ride a little different but im sure it wont be that major.

Are you sure your sure :D

Turning a screw or moving the clip or what ever design comes next is still just increasing the preload which will raise the ride height on a zps, ssd or even normal ole shocks. Raising the ride height and increasing the preload etc will change the way the machine handles and rides.

Since so many of the shock threads see so many posts about how good a job pep does in initial set up etc I cant see suggesting someone screw all that up just to wait to purchase the rear shock.

Just seems like were talking in circles.

QuadTrix6
06-18-2003, 12:14 AM
Are you sure your sure :D

Turning a screw or moving the clip or what ever design comes next is still just increasing the preload which will raise the ride height on a zps, ssd or even normal ole shocks. Raising the ride height and increasing the preload etc will change the way the machine handles and rides.

Thats exactly what my previous post says :blah:

Since so many of the shock threads see so many posts about how good a job pep does in initial set up etc I cant see suggesting someone screw all that up just to wait to purchase the rear shock.

Just seems like were talking in circles.

The reason you would be messing with the fronts is because they would be valved for a zps rear and u would have to wait untill u get the money for the rear shock so this would be temporary. If you are that low on cash pep can valve them for a stock rear shock and then i dont think u would have to mess with them. but i dont know how great it would work with a stock rear. And i agree why spend 895 for some shocks and then trying to adjust them when you dont know as much abt shocks as the guys who build them, just to wait for the rear and then have to change it back.

Chanman420q
06-18-2003, 03:24 PM
i guess when i get shocks ill just go all out and get all 3 :blah:

06-18-2003, 05:46 PM

You will thank yourself in the long run, trust me :D

QuadTrix6
06-18-2003, 11:31 PM

good choice!:cool: