PDA

View Full Version : new bikes with 5 gears

400exrider400ex
06-13-2003, 03:31 PM
i was just wondering why all of the new sport bike do not have 6 gears...whats better about 5 :confused:

400exrules
06-13-2003, 03:34 PM
less foot work :ermm:

06-13-2003, 03:39 PM
think about it, when they contract the calculation for proper gear ratios thru the midrange to top they must take into consideration the amount of torque being extracted off the crankshaft thru the bottom range and lower gears, if u dont do that then your ratios will be much too tight so you gotta multiply the bottom end gear tooth by 13 then divide it by the number or rpms per sec until u consecutively get .002 its much harder to get that number with 6

duhhhhh

cheetah
06-13-2003, 03:40 PM
^What he said......I think.:ermm:

400exrider400ex
06-13-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
think about it, when they contract the calculation for proper gear ratios thru the midrange to top they must take into consideration the amount of torque being extracted off the crankshaft thru the bottom range and lower gears, if u dont do that then your ratios will be much too tight so you gotta multiply the bottom end gear tooth by 13 then divide it by the number or rpms per sec until u consecutively get .002 its much harder to get that number with 6

duhhhhh

ill take ur word for it

born-to-race
06-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by freeride132

duhhhhh

Exactly what I was going to post. lol

Is that really true?

06-13-2003, 05:15 PM
no

Nausty
06-13-2003, 05:22 PM
i'm guessing because the motors today have such a broad power band that they can run wider gear ratios with less gears.
In the dirt though its not all about the power which you could have with a lot of gears but is what you really need is constant traction as you get on the gas. Just like at a drag race, if you just mash on the gas you'll just spin your tires and not go anywhere but if you gradually get harder on it and have smooth shifts to where your tires don't spin you will go much faster.

Which in turn means that the motor will be smaller and lighter and is easier to ride and probably faster.

Thats just my opinion on it all and whos to say i'm even right.:confused: