PDA

View Full Version : CFM Airbox ??

anywhereEx
06-13-2003, 10:29 AM
I Have been looking into CFM's Aluminum airbox with the lid. I am wondering if anyone on here has run into any problems with it at all and how the fit is for all of the electronics. Thanks.

OutlawEX
06-13-2003, 11:32 AM
I highly suggest it over any box out there. Neal will give u a 100% warranty as he did mine after i did something stupid

anywhereEx
06-13-2003, 11:35 AM
What is the fitment of everything inside of the box?

OutlawEX
06-13-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
What is the fitment of everything inside of the box?

I dont get what ur question is. It holds battery,regulator,cylinoid and all ur wiring

anywhereEx
06-13-2003, 12:47 PM
My question is, is everything packed in there or does it fit well.

RIjon
06-13-2003, 12:47 PM
$220 HAhahahahahahahaaaaaa

anywhereEx
06-13-2003, 12:53 PM
?

01400ex
06-13-2003, 04:19 PM
Man I'm sure glad I didnt pay $220 for mine. I made mine for pennies. Holds all the wiring, and battery with plenty of room for the filter.

Later Ryan H.

Pappy
06-13-2003, 04:53 PM
fitment is perfect....

everything fits...its tight but surprisingly it all goes where they say it does

quality welds.....my biggest concern with any aluminum airbox is that they will eventually crack. this box is the best on the market and i have my fingers crossed that it holds up as well as i expect it to.

OutlawEX
06-13-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
fitment is perfect....

everything fits...its tight but surprisingly it all goes where they say it does

quality welds.....my biggest concern with any aluminum airbox is that they will eventually crack. this box is the best on the market and i have my fingers crossed that it holds up as well as i expect it to.

Well said:devil:

RIjon
06-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Honestly, for $220 I would sure as heck hope it fits perfect

Giz400ex
06-14-2003, 03:14 AM
I think everything fits very well in there and have yet to see one better.

cheetah
06-14-2003, 07:10 AM
It is a very nice box. $220 was a little high, but I don't trust my own fabrications. This looked to be a high quality box and so far no problems at all. I give it a thumbs up.

anywhereEx
06-14-2003, 09:27 AM
As for making your own airbox well that is fine but to make one with a top is a diffrent story and not very many people can weld aluminum. So yes I could put one together but I want one that will last for a little while and stand up to going to 3ft deep water.... which most boxes can not.

OutlawEX
06-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
As for making your own airbox well that is fine but to make one with a top is a diffrent story and not very many people can weld aluminum. So yes I could put one together but I want one that will last for a little while and stand up to going to 3ft deep water.... which most boxes can not.

I would highly suggest CFMS box i jump 7 ft jumps and it held up great no problems what so ever.. The craftsman ship neal puts in these boxes and all his products is crazy. Just the welding bead that he leaves is so insane ,as he makes such a nice steady small bead which is very hard to do with aluminum. Here is the custom YZF tank he made for me

01400ex
06-15-2003, 02:19 PM
Heres mine,

They aint as good of welds as the CFM but hey i'm only 17 and learning.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pcc10813632356a3c6c0d0649a835e424/fc03754e.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/p8e988b93523f7dd94e429cd272411b28/fc037553.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid63/pb86e9bd902db103207717443e758aec1/fc03755d.jpg

I still have to polish it up.

Later Ryan H.

CFM Performance
06-19-2003, 12:17 AM
Some people feel our airbox with the lid is a bit pricey. If you check around you'll see that other manufacturers are selling NO-LID airboxes for $175.00 - $225.00 ! I think you'll agree that you get alot more for your money with our airbox.

We built this airbox because people asked for it. They wanted an airbox with a water resistant lid that held ALL of the electricals, used the stock intake snorkel, and be able to run a K&N filter if they chose to. They also wanted the ability to run an aftermarket seat latch and not have to modify their wiring harness. That's alot of features to fit in one airbox but we were able to do it.

To my knowledge, theres no other airbox on the market that incorporates all of these features. Thanks again to those of you who have purchased from us!

Neal

JOEX
06-19-2003, 03:40 PM
I have heard the draw back to putting the electronics in the box with a lid will cause restricted air flow when hitting the throttle.

What I understood the motor needs the air space around the filter as a kind of "cushion" when hitting the throttle until the snorkle can catch up with more air flow.

Anybody else remember reading this or have any input?

I was one of those saying I wouldn't buy an aftermarket box without a lid.

Joe

racinred330ex
06-23-2003, 07:56 AM
hey neal from cfm jw can u make some air boxes for us 300ex riders

hondafox440
06-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I have heard the draw back to putting the electronics in the box with a lid will cause restricted air flow when hitting the throttle.

What I understood the motor needs the air space around the filter as a kind of "cushion" when hitting the throttle until the snorkle can catch up with more air flow.

Anybody else remember reading this or have any input?

I was one of those saying I wouldn't buy an aftermarket box without a lid.

Joe

I was thinking the same thing. Plus, wouldn't the battery and such heat up quicker since there isnt any air flowing over it? Added heat plus more restricted airflow? What the point of that? The last thing you want your engine drawing in is hot air..

Pappy
06-23-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I was thinking the same thing. Plus, wouldn't the battery and such heat up quicker since there isnt any air flowing over it? Added heat plus more restricted airflow? What the point of that? The last thing you want your engine drawing in is hot air..

no more heat on the battery or electronics then when they are covered with 2 inches of mud. i like the fact that my electronics are now protected.....and from riding with the new box i havent noticed any draw backs in airflow affecting performance

YLW400
06-23-2003, 09:25 AM
You know you can buy about 15 stock airboxes for the price of one of those? Gimme a break, there is about 5 dollars in material there.

Pappy
06-23-2003, 09:31 AM
but whats the point....if people will spend THIER money on a product then its THIERS to spend. ive broken enough stock airboxes....im hoping the cfm holds up. sure the $$ is a bit much...buit what ya gonna do:o you want a product you pay for it...noone twisted my arm:p

Mr_Bub400ex
06-23-2003, 05:14 PM
pappy, it took me a while to find ur airbox...the reflection confused me....it like is invisible..lol

Pappy
06-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr_Bub400ex
pappy, it took me a while to find ur airbox...the reflection confused me....it like is invisible..lol

lol....ive been asked if i run an airbox by a few people:D here...you can see it in the shade:p

CFM Performance
06-24-2003, 01:22 AM
You know you can buy about 15 stock airboxes for the price of one of those? Gimme a break, there is about 5 dollars in material there.

Actually, theres more than $5.00 worth of material there. Anyone can make this box, and I'll even tell you what you need. A shear, sheetmetal brake, notcher, bandsaw, Bridgeport mill and tooling, knockout punches, welding fixture, TIG welder (and the ability to use it) and a blueprint. Gather all that up and with a few hours of your time you can have one for your material investment of $5.00

I think Pappy handled the questions on the heat and airflow concerns in the airbox.

Neal

YLW400
06-24-2003, 01:45 AM
Actually, I do have all of the equipment readily available :D Should we pull something up on PRO- E, or is just AUTO-CAD ok? Except our mill isn't a Bridgeport. I wasn't trying to be a smartass. I just call them the way I see them. Aluminum goes for like a a buck 40 a pound around here.

Pappy
06-24-2003, 02:10 AM
someone needs to make a cool billet handy bar clamp that holds the key:p

OutlawEX
06-24-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by YLW400

Ya maybe u can buy 15 boxes. But ur not gaining nothing for ur quad. With a CFM box you can eliminate all those ugly wires and battery hanging off the side. Also this CFM airbox centers the weight on the subframe. With the stock set up the battery is on the side giving more gravitational pull on one side than another. Take it from me i bent my sub-frame from the stock *****ty set up. You get a CFM and you woint bend that subframe from MX. Maybe if u drop ur quad off a cliff then it might bend;)

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-24-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
Ya maybe u can buy 15 boxes. But ur not gaining nothing for ur quad. With a CFM box you can eliminate all those ugly wires and battery hanging off the side. Also this CFM airbox centers the weight on the subframe. With the stock set up the battery is on the side giving more gravitational pull on one side than another. Take it from me i bent my sub-frame from the stock *****ty set up. You get a CFM and you woint bend that subframe from MX. Maybe if u drop ur quad off a cliff then it might bend;)

I agree, my subframe is tweaked as well from the battery I believe...I plan to get a CFM Airbox, but I have bigger priorities at the moment.

YLW400
06-24-2003, 06:22 AM
ok, first off don't take offense to this...ok? Don't you think that the engineers who designed the 400EX put the battery and everything else there for a reason? I am sure it was well though out. And I am not busting on CFM or anyone else on this, but how much does a battery in a 400EX weigh? Isn't putting all of that stuff in an aluminum box with tabs on it, asking for the box to break? Here is the deal, I broke my stock on about 2 months ago, I then said, I am getting an aluminum one...as a matter of fact, I was asking people on here about them, and out of the ones I saw, CFM by far looked the best. But I did call a few places, and they all told me they are prone to breaking.....So personally I will just continue to break and buy stock ones. I am too hard on stuff to have to worry about it between heats and races. Dont get me wrong, CFM's look awesome, especially all polished up like Pappy did. But, My question.....What will CFM do if it does break?

UglyMotha™
06-24-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by OutlawEX

you act like they sprinkle magic fairy dust on it or somthing anybody with the equipment can build one it's far from complicated i myself also think it is way overpriced here where i work we build things twice that box would ever wish to be for the same price

crappie29
06-24-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
I agree, my subframe is tweaked as well from the battery I believe...I plan to get a CFM Airbox, but I have bigger priorities at the moment.

And if anyone has noticed.. slowly but surely other people are making them... $130(open lid) on ebay and the quality is just the same as CFM.. There is a nice stainless steel one looks pretty cool..

sharpshooter
06-24-2003, 06:38 AM
the battery weight on one side balances out the exhaust weight on the other side[remember how heavy stock pipes are]
I think Honda does their homework.

OutlawEX
06-24-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by sharpshooter
the battery weight on one side balances out the exhaust weight on the other side[remember how heavy stock pipes are]
I think Honda does their homework.

That sounds logical. But if u look at everyones bend subframes 95% of them bend towards the battery. Rippinitup7 is a friend of mine and he went to a track with me and his 400ex was 4 weeks old still 100% stock and his subframe bent.

you act like they sprinkle magic fairy dust on it or somthing anybody with the equipment can build one it's far from complicated i myself also think it is way overpriced here where i work we build things twice that box would ever wish to be for the same price

I never said no one couldnt make it. Shoot if u have the right tools and materials and the exsperienced welding like CFM hey go for it. If i had the right tools and alumminum welding exsperience id be making some kick@ss produts.

YLW400

Yo man wass up. I run nothing but MX. I ran the CFM box all last race seasion and didnt have no problems until my shock blew. When my shock blew when i would land the brake caliper would hit the bottom of the box. I didnt have the time and patience to send my rear shock out at the time so i sent my Airbox to CFM and neal welded .190 thick alumminum to bottom of my box so my caliper wouldnt damage the airbox. TO me thats a good person to work with. NEAL WILL 100% BACK UP ANYTHING HE SELLS AND WILL REPAIR IT as he did for me. If u buy a CFM box it will be the last box u ever buy