PDA

View Full Version : Lectron

Str8Wicked
06-13-2003, 05:29 AM
I bought a lectron 38mm carb off e-bay about a month ago for dirt cheap. Just wondering how hard they are to set up once on the quad.... Is it a biaaatch or is it pretty simple....

06-13-2003, 05:31 AM
HARD AS HELL...those things are sooo picky but once you get it down you got urself one nice carb

chad502ex
06-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
HARD AS HELL...those things are sooo picky but once you get it down you got urself one nice carb

Str8, I tend to agree with Xx. I have a Lectron 40mm PowerJet carb and it took me tweat'n to finally get it dialed in. But when it finally was, it hit like a mug!!!! The thing is,.... the lectron has metering rods which basically covers ~3 main jet sizes on your typical carb. This means that this carb does not have main jets. It uses a tapered rod, similiar to a needle, and covers the whole powerband. The powerjet is an jet that is opened up with the motor wide open causing the fuel to be pulled directly from the bowl. Its like dumping unmetered fuel from the bowl right into your motor. carb adjustments are made by turning the rod in or out in 1/4 turns and also by the taper of the rod. I flat out think this carb is awesome. Many ppl think the FCR is better cause it has an excel pump for the low end, but for 1/2 the cost its basically the same carb without the pump. Besides its ok to run lean on bottom end, that does no damage; it's not till top end that damage occurs when running lean.

Hope this helps.

:)

Chad502EX.com

MXQUAD294
06-13-2003, 07:44 AM
Maybe this will help- www.lectronfuelsystems.com
They have tuning instructions, parts list, how it works, etc.

Str8Wicked
06-16-2003, 05:25 AM
cool, I got all that info already.... SO how should I begin with the tuning. I'm gonna run a full pipe instead of my slip on and I have an open aluminum airbox with a K&N... Anyone know where I should begin to get it close.....

chad502ex
06-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
cool, I got all that info already.... SO how should I begin with the tuning. I'm gonna run a full pipe instead of my slip on and I have an open aluminum airbox with a K&N... Anyone know where I should begin to get it close.....

as far as the length of the rod, it will vary a little cause it really depends on a few things like flow rate into motor, displacement, back pressure, ect. Anyhow, start by turning needle out to make it leaner until motor rpm at idle raises a little higher than typical, say 1500. Then, increase exhaust backpressure to drop idle to comfort zone. For the Lectron you should start by turning rod to get idle first, then worry about the rest of the powerband with metering rod taper. PowerJet changes affect top end only. Good luck!

Chad502EX.com