PDA

View Full Version : Rad axle carrier?

Sportrax10
06-12-2003, 01:34 PM
Where can I buy one, and how much would it come to? I searched but could not find where I could buy one.:confused:
Also, whats the differance bettween Tapered and Twin row? Any help appriciated. Thanks

JD400exrider
06-12-2003, 04:03 PM
I have seen them and many other new on ebay Forget the price. I think Rad sells them on there on a buy it now.

Twin row is going to be cheeper. The berrings will not last as long as a tapered. Tapered i beleive are stronger for side pressure. I have heard you loose the ability to adjust the chain allot with the tapered bearing carrier. (Not as much movement back and forth for chain adjustment )

Your stock carrier can be machined to accept a twin row bearing .
Meszmoto motor sports does this

Sportrax10
06-13-2003, 04:35 AM
Im not getting it off of ebay, I need to know a if they have a website to buy it of of, or if theres a good distributer that sells them? I really need this info so I can ride anytime soon.
Thanks JD400exrider

Sportrax10
06-13-2003, 09:23 AM
C, mon guys I need this info so I can order this today and get back to riding as soon as possible.

Sportrax10
06-13-2003, 02:35 PM
bump!!!

Sportrax10
06-14-2003, 04:03 AM
http://www.recreationunlimited.com/frameset.htm

This is all I could find, but I thought it had the gease zerk on the outside?? Where can I get one like that?? Is this better? Please help, its very important!

dbsbl1
06-14-2003, 06:13 AM
I had to replace mine a year ago or so. I just went to a local Honda dealer and ordered a Lonestar carrier...I think I came to about 200?? It's held up pretty good so far. It has the grease zerk on the inside too. I'd imagine most of them do.

Hope this helps.

Rip_Tear
06-14-2003, 01:39 PM
Email C&D they probaly can hook you up, if not I am sure Quadshop can!

FFW
06-18-2003, 03:08 AM
I too trashed my stock carrier about a year and a half ago. I bought the Rad tapered carrier from Recreation Unlimited as well. I believe it was around $200 but I also bought the anti-fade nut as well.

Chances are you won't get the old nut off without having to destroy it. I was able to re-use the sleeve though. It was a real battle to get the main lock nut and the lock ring off of the axle. Since the carrier was trashed so badly it trashed the axle as well so I replaced both at the same time.

The carrier has worked perfectly for me. I did have a couple of issues in the beginning though. The spring and ball inside the zerk let go when I was filling it with grease. No problem. I purchased an angled zerk and had to JB weld it in. For some reason when I attempted to tap the threads it refused to thread in. Then the grease began to ooze. It's held up fine since then. I did notice it likes to squeeze grease out the left side and through the sprocket hub but thats ok since it cleans off easily.

A couple of other observations, it was very stiff and difficult to turn the wheels initially. I did what they said and filled it with grease to the point where it was coming out of the seals. I let some additional grease leak out and it was easier to turn after that.

Adjustability, yep...others said it was not designed to adjust much but so far with the sidewinder chain and sprockets it's been a non issue.

The carrier has worked flawlessly so far and never once given me problems. Other than the grease oozing out it's been fine but I considered that an insurance policy since I know any water/dirt is getting pushed out as well.

Oh yeah, it's a tapered carrier, not twin row.

Hope this helps. Call Rec Unlimited. They are helpful and ship fast.

:D

Sportrax10
06-19-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by FFW
I too trashed my stock carrier about a year and a half ago. I bought the Rad tapered carrier from Recreation Unlimited as well. I believe it was around $200 but I also bought the anti-fade nut as well.

Chances are you won't get the old nut off without having to destroy it. I was able to re-use the sleeve though. It was a real battle to get the main lock nut and the lock ring off of the axle. Since the carrier was trashed so badly it trashed the axle as well so I replaced both at the same time.

The carrier has worked perfectly for me. I did have a couple of issues in the beginning though. The spring and ball inside the zerk let go when I was filling it with grease. No problem. I purchased an angled zerk and had to JB weld it in. For some reason when I attempted to tap the threads it refused to thread in. Then the grease began to ooze. It's held up fine since then. I did notice it likes to squeeze grease out the left side and through the sprocket hub but thats ok since it cleans off easily.

A couple of other observations, it was very stiff and difficult to turn the wheels initially. I did what they said and filled it with grease to the point where it was coming out of the seals. I let some additional grease leak out and it was easier to turn after that.

Adjustability, yep...others said it was not designed to adjust much but so far with the sidewinder chain and sprockets it's been a non issue.

The carrier has worked flawlessly so far and never once given me problems. Other than the grease oozing out it's been fine but I considered that an insurance policy since I know any water/dirt is getting pushed out as well.

Oh yeah, it's a tapered carrier, not twin row.

Hope this helps. Call Rec Unlimited. They are helpful and ship fast.

:D
Does yours have the grease zerk on the outside, or like on this website? http://www.recreationunlimited.com/frameset.htm

F-16Guy
06-19-2003, 06:34 AM
www.radmfg.com

Ben
06-20-2003, 05:25 AM
C&D Racing :D

FFW
06-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Does yours have the grease zerk on the outside, or like on this website? http://www.recreationunlimited.com/frameset.htm

Yep, it's on the left side of the carrier below where the last adjustment hole is. It's easy to get to and if I do have to grease it and the zerk is too far below I just rotate it up, grease and then adjust the chain.

:)

FFW
06-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Well yeah Ben, sorry..forgot to plug C&D :)

But then again I wasn't a part of the excellent site when I did the work so forgive me grasshopper! :blah:

Sportrax10
06-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Thanks guys, I ended up ordering directly from RAD. I also got the RAD-LOC. I like where the grease zerk is located too.

JD400exrider
06-20-2003, 01:04 PM
Sporttrax

The reason I had mentioned ebay to you was that when you order them from the one guy on there they are shipped directly from RAD Manfg. I called Rad the other day because i was interested in if they were selling them on there. They allow this guy to sell the ones that have a scratch or small cosmetic flaw in them. They carry the same warranty and it is through RAD if any problems occur. I can deal with a small scratch if i can save 20-30 bucks and get it shipped for free. Sounds like you got it handled though. They look like the best carrier out there with that zirk on the side.

Sportrax10
06-20-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Sporttrax

The reason I had mentioned ebay to you was that when you order them from the one guy on there they are shipped directly from RAD Manfg. I called Rad the other day because i was interested in if they were selling them on there. They allow this guy to sell the ones that have a scratch or small cosmetic flaw in them. They carry the same warranty and it is through RAD if any problems occur. I can deal with a small scratch if i can save 20-30 bucks and get it shipped for free. Sounds like you got it handled though. They look like the best carrier out there with that zirk on the side.
I would have done that but I have tried and cant use ebay. The only e-mail address I have is a Hotmail address and they wont let me use it.

FFW
06-20-2003, 03:43 PM
Sportrax,

I meant to ask you, did you check the axle as well? How badly was the carrier trashed? Mine was so bad the bearing surface on the left side was damaged. I knew it was going to be bad so I didn't care. I replaced the carrier and installed an X-33 eliminator axle at the same time.

Be sure you check the bearing surfaces before replacing it.

Sportrax10
06-21-2003, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by FFW
Sportrax,

I meant to ask you, did you check the axle as well? How badly was the carrier trashed? Mine was so bad the bearing surface on the left side was damaged. I knew it was going to be bad so I didn't care. I replaced the carrier and installed an X-33 eliminator axle at the same time.

Be sure you check the bearing surfaces before replacing it.

I think it looks allright, ill post pics if you want me to. If I have to replace my axle im in trouble because I have no money at all.

FFW
06-21-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
I think it looks allright, ill post pics if you want me to. If I have to replace my axle im in trouble because I have no money at all.

You can run your fingers around the bearing race and see if there are any grooves or damage.

I know what you mean. The wife will have my head if I spend anything else right now!

:devil:

hollywood43
06-24-2003, 01:44 AM
Ebay won't let you use a Hotmail account? That must be something new that they started.

I ordered a Rad Loc straight from RAD yesterday and my online credit card statement shows the charge from Recreation Unlimited. I wonder if they're affiliated in some way?

Stevo
06-30-2003, 05:27 PM
I really like mine. I got a tapered carrier and it has held up great. I too had the same prob with the zerk fallin out when i greased it so i just threaded it in the best i could and it has been staying.