PDA

View Full Version : 300EX clutch removal

dads400ex
06-12-2003, 12:34 PM
Ok I got the clutch cover off and was going to remove the clutch disks and check them because the clutch will not disengage completely when pulled and then it will not grab until the lever is almost completely out and the cable is adjusted. My question is what have you all used to hold the basket to get the clutch center nut loose? Do I need to get one of the specialty tools?
Thanks for helping as the quad is apart to this point.

Later

GNCC#829
06-12-2003, 01:03 PM
If you use an impact gun, you shouldn't have to hold it.

kc 300EX
06-12-2003, 01:12 PM
use an Impact gun, thats how I did mine..... I think I tried every other possible way, holding everything, it doesnt work.......spun right off with the impact gun though. Make sure you dremel that notch out of the bolt though!

TheX1992
06-13-2003, 04:39 AM
i had a old axle so i just put a pipe wrench on it and made it hit the floor and lock so it wouldnt move.....then a huge wrench, and a 14 ft cheater bar, make sure you take the notch out though!

dads400ex
06-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys for the responses I will try the impact and see how that goes. Now how did you tighten the nut back up and hold everything?

Thanks again.

GNCC#829
06-13-2003, 03:45 PM
Impact gun!;)

dads400ex
06-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Just an update, the impact gun worked great, fiber disks were fine but the steel plates were warped, I could slip a .008 shim under areas of the plates so I ordered some plates (stock) hopefully they hold up longer than the originals:grr: I did not want an aftermarket clutch with heavier springs because my boy could not ride all day and pull the clutch in.

Still need the suggestions for tightening the clutch center nut though.

Later

Scott-300ex
06-15-2003, 05:36 PM
i put a new clutch in my dads warrior and i used a tool i made

i took a thick piece of wood, about 1 1/2 inches wide and however long it needs to be to be as long as the diameter of the clutch, we screwed that to a long piece of wood to use as a handle, then we put screws or something through the piece of wood (not the hanlde) and either screwed them in the holes on the main clutch assembly or put them between something else in the clutch(perhaps the notches in the discs, but don't brake them or chip them) and held the handle to keep it from moving and then torqued it to the correct settings

this might take two people to do this

SORRY ABOUT NOT REMEMBERING ALL THE DETAILS, ITS BEEN A LONG TIME:(