PDA

View Full Version : HMF Exhaust

2qk4u
01-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Has anyone heard much about HMF Exhaust. just wanting to know if its any good and how you compare it to WB E-series

max400EX
01-07-2002, 08:59 PM
Fourstrokefan loves his slip on. I am sure him or Guy660R (his cousin) will reply.

It seems to me that all of those "round" exhausts give great low end gains and good mid and only a little top end. When it comes down to it, few riders NEED top end.

patrick delao
01-08-2002, 07:14 AM
My friend just got one and there cheap. You get what you pay for! A little loud but better then stock so get what you can afford but if you pay more you get mpre of a pipe. my2cents

Guy400
01-08-2002, 03:18 PM
Again, maybe your friend's tune is out of whack or something. I know Fourstrokefan saw huge improvements on his 400, so much so that several other guys with 400's that we ride with are ditching their FMF Megamax's and Pro Circuit T-4's. I also know a guy that saw great gains on his '01 Raptor.

01-08-2002, 06:40 PM
Guy is absolutely right. I have nothing else to add. Just get one! You won't regret it.

As far as quality goes, the pipe is completely made from aluminum and T304 stainless steel. It doesn't get much better than that.

shock400ex32
01-08-2002, 07:42 PM
Did you get the slip on or the complete HMF?

patrick delao
01-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Like I said its not the outside that matters its the inside and how the pipe is made == cheap pipe, pay the EXTRA money get a GOOD brand mane pipe.

NJ300ex
01-09-2002, 01:42 PM
it is a good brand name pipe. I have heard many problems with the brand name pipes you speak of but none with the hmf.

01-09-2002, 03:40 PM
Patrick,
I suppose next you are going to tell me that you took your buddies pipe apart to look at the inside? If not then how do you know what it's like on the inside? I don't know if you know too much about street bikes, but I'll let you in on a little secret. HMF is a top name brand in the exhaust world for crotch-rockets. They just started making pipes for quads in the past couple of years. In a recent article that I read, they tested 20 different exhaust setups, full systems and slip-ons. The HMF slip-on was in the top 5 for horsepower, beating popular (higher priced) full systems such as the Big Gun. Maybe your buddy didn't jet his quad properly.

To answer someone's question, I have the slip-on. Between the pipe and the jet kit I gained 4hp!

shock400ex32
01-09-2002, 04:48 PM
Thank you for your help and now I know what I will be getting...The HMF. I may not get the whole 1 more horsepower than with other "Name Brands" but I will also not get the very hefty price tag either. With the HMF I will get the gain in horsepower like I want but for a price that I like! again Thanks!

NJ300ex
01-09-2002, 05:10 PM
The thing that is extra cool about the hmf is that you can get the outside anodized different colors.

max400EX
01-10-2002, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Fourstrokefan
In a recent article that I read, they tested 20 different exhaust setups, full systems and slip-ons. The HMF slip-on was in the top 5 for horsepower, beating popular (higher priced) full systems such as the Big Gun.

I was just wondering what shoot out that was in?

Guy400
01-10-2002, 06:18 AM
Max, I can't find the article now. I know it was an on-line magazine but it had ties to a printed publication as well cause I remember reading the sport quad shootout and the wording was almost verbatim with the ATVSport article. I'll keep looking.

patrick delao
01-10-2002, 06:54 AM
So I take it your proud of your cheap pipe, well you should be but thats just it I's a cheap pipe and you keep on saying there is something wrong with both of my friends bike but I did not say they didn't get a performance gain they did it just was not as much as you would get with a better pipe comany. All the other guys that race with us and have similar mods and weight they KILL the hmf rapter and 400. Plus my friend drag races a ZX12 and he said hmf was a joke and there not a very good street bike pipe either. SORRY For more info call GTthunder they did DYNO runs with the hmf and like I said it compared to the cobra and DG. Not a bad after market pipe just not as great as you people say it is. As for the pipe shoot outs there not really that accurate and the seat of the pants feel is better but your just not going to feel as much with the hmf

Guy400
01-10-2002, 07:13 AM
Do you have a link to the GT Thunder dyno run of the HMF? I've searched all over the web site and can't see anything where they ran an HMF, maybe I'm just missing it. GT Thunder is only about 15-20 minutes from me so maybe I can just stop in there and ask him about it.

Nobody is arguing that the HMF is the best pipe and nobody made claims that it's the biggest HP gainer. We said it's only $169 and beat the full Big Gun, full LRD, TC slip-on and 1/2 horse less than the full Yoshi. Now, if you're a racer where every HP matters, go with a White Brother's E-series. But, for the weekend warrior who's looking to get great gains without spending his retirement, go with the HMF.

redrider ex
01-10-2002, 07:44 AM
I'm ordering the hmf slip on in the next day or two and in the add it say for $100 dollars more you get the k&n and jet kit my question is will they send you the correct jet size with it or do you have to tell them what size to send and if so on my stock bike what size jets do i need with this pipe thanks fourstrockfan and
guy660r:cool:

01-10-2002, 07:53 AM
You'll get about 10 jets with that kit,,maybe even more,,you'll be fine with the jet kit they send you...

redrider ex
01-10-2002, 08:00 AM
and buy the way i have your new reservior cover made i just have to put it in the mail. thanks

Guy400
01-10-2002, 08:04 AM
The DynoJet kit came with an assortment of jets and instructions. The DJ kit lists their kits in "stages". Stage I is something like aftermarket silencer with stock filter and lid. Stage II is aftermarket silencer with high flow filter and no lid. Stage III is full aftermarket exhaust with high flow filter and no lid. Don't quote me on that but it's very similar. Anyway, they give you jetting guidelines for whatever stage you're going to run. We ran Stage II on Fourstrokefan's quad and hit it dead on the first time but everyone's quad is different so it may take some fine tuning.

01-10-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by redrider ex
and buy the way i have your new reservior cover made i just have to put it in the mail. thanks

Alrighty then and I'm gonna send ya the other one back,,the different hieght of the cover wasn't an issue,,it was just hanging over the sides of the rezzy itself and I didn't want any dirt to get up in there some how.

patrick delao
01-10-2002, 08:55 AM
Your right about its probably the best bang for the buck but it being better then anybodys FULL exhaust is still REAL hard to believe. All the drag rapters I see with full systems the DMC Alien with header REALLY wakes up a stock rapter with k&n, HUGE power. The guy wanted with the DCM wanted to see how a 440 ran so we traded bikes and his rapter had NICE power all around. Impressive I thought. Just for your info. Can't remember how I got the GTthunder site but I was there looking to see how much HP my 440 puts out. I think I got it off somebodys link page

01-10-2002, 03:42 PM
Well all I can say is that 2 kids I know have 400's with similar mods as mine, one with an FMF Mega Max II (modded EXACTLY the same as mine) and one with the Procuircut T-4 and my bike beats them all the time.

max400EX
01-10-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Guy660R
Max, I can't find the article now. I know it was an on-line magazine but it had ties to a printed publication as well cause I remember reading the sport quad shootout and the wording was almost verbatim with the ATVSport article. I'll keep looking.

Thanks guy, when you run across it give me and e-mail or post it here. I am wondering if this was the one you saw... http://atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=30961

"It produced a nice gain on the bottom end for horsepower and torque."

If you e-mail HMF they will send you a Dyno run, i had it on my e-mail, but deleated it on accident.

Mity Mo
01-10-2002, 10:01 PM
For those who want to know where the shootout was at. It was at www.atvnews.com click on the tech button on the top row of the site then scroll down to the 400ex pipe shootout. And from owning some of the high dollar names I would venture to say the HMF is very sound quality and produces nice hp gains throughout. I compare it to a LRD Big Bore system. That my .02 ;)

Mo

PREDATOR4LIFE
04-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Hello ya'll I just got a 2006 Polaris Predator and I was told that the HMF slip on pipe was bout the best there was for this quad! My problem is should I get the slip on or go with a full exhuast system?

400exstud
04-13-2006, 03:15 PM
So I take it your proud of your cheap pipe, well you should be but thats just it I's a cheap pipe and you keep on saying there is something wrong with both of my friends bike but I did not say they didn't get a performance gain they did it just was not as much as you would get with a better pipe comany. All the other guys that race with us and have similar mods and weight they KILL the hmf rapter and 400. Plus my friend drag races a ZX12 and he said hmf was a joke and there not a very good street bike pipe either. SORRY For more info call GTthunder they did DYNO runs with the hmf and like I said it compared to the cobra and DG. Not a bad after market pipe just not as great as you people say it is. As for the pipe shoot outs there not really that accurate and the seat of the pants feel is better but your just not going to feel as much with the hmf

HMF full system ($400) + Red Powder coat ($20) + Quiet core ($35) = $455.

Man you must have money up you ***** to say that that is cheap!!! Sorry to say but ..... yes, it is one of the best systems for the 400ex. Don't lie:)

PREDATOR4LIFE
04-13-2006, 07:18 PM
I guess I don't really understand why someone would constintaly down a product! I mean iffin it didn't work for your or your buddies that is cool but for those of them that it did work for just let them be is my take on it! Well I am looking at the full system for my Predator! I know a guy who races an he said that he has tested full systems from the more expensive companies and then went back and did a whole series with only slip on pipes and he told me for the Predator the HMF slip on pipe would give me the most bang for my buck! I had a CR 125 with a FMF full set up on it and i am done with the expensive pipes just because that is what everyone runs or says it is the best! I believe my friend cause he races in a pro class so I think i am goin to go with the full HMF set up! Thanks ya'll

2001300exguy
04-13-2006, 07:30 PM
i had a full t-4 on my 400ex and bent the silencer in half( not the fault of the pipe) and i switched to a full hmf after that. the hmf felt like it had alot more low end and beter throttle response. it also looks like and feels like a better made pipe. i also had a slip on on my 300ex and it made that feel like an entirely different bike. another huge deciding factor for me was customer service, and hmf is definately top notch and willing to help you out anyway possible

PREDATOR4LIFE
04-14-2006, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the advice! I think i am goin to go ahead and get the full system then do the k&n system too! I can't wait it is like a lil kid at christmas! ha ha ha anyways thanks for the advice! laters ya'll

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

outlaw450r
04-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by patrick delao
I'm proud of mine and so is John Natalie and Chris Borich.

bwilson624
04-14-2006, 08:08 PM
HMF is probably the best investment money wise and power wise that I've done to my 400ex. When I get the HRC kit on my new 450r, I'm gonna put the new Ironman slip-on by HMF. Awsome product.

PREDATOR4LIFE
04-15-2006, 04:04 PM
You said you were goin to put the HRC kit on your 450! What exactly is the HRC kit, an what does it consist of? I am new to all of this so please bear with me ha ha ha or just make fun of me at your own leisure! Either way is fine with me ha ha ha! Thanks to ya'll that have helped me! Laters ya'll

400exstud
04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
The HRC kit is a kit that Honda put together with all of their own stuff that consists of a modified airbox lid, bigger exhaust tip, and more agressive cam.

This doesn't really matter to you if you have a pred.

RangerRick
04-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
Do you have a link to the GT Thunder dyno run of the HMF? I've searched all over the web site and can't see anything where they ran an HMF, maybe I'm just missing it. GT Thunder is only about 15-20 minutes from me so maybe I can just stop in there and ask him about it.

Nobody is arguing that the HMF is the best pipe and nobody made claims that it's the biggest HP gainer. We said it's only $169 and beat the full Big Gun, full LRD, TC slip-on and 1/2 horse less than the full Yoshi. Now, if you're a racer where every HP matters, go with a White Brother's E-series. But, for the weekend warrior who's looking to get great gains without spending his retirement, go with the HMF.

Where do you get an HMF for that price?Im not doubting anyone just wondering because I want one.:D

LazeR
04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
I put an HMF pipe on my 400 and it made a huge improvement. Definately worth the money!