PDA

View Full Version : hub studs

racin 400
06-12-2003, 09:38 AM
I just broke a stud on my rear hub:grr: :mad: are they pressed in b/c i but it in a bench vice and hit it with a hammer,but nothing.Have any opnions.

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-12-2003, 10:36 AM
They are pressed in.

GNCC#829
06-12-2003, 11:57 AM
here is the way that I did mine. It wasn't broke though, you might not be able to do it this way.
Put it back on the axle.
Put a lug nut on the stud flat side out/tapered side in.
Get a 1/2 inch drive 17mm socket with an extention on it.
Beat it SQUARE with a hammer.

To put it back on, tighten the wheel back on as you normally would, paying close attention that the grooves on the back of the hub allign with the grooves on the stud.

Good Luck!

remlapr
06-12-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
here is the way that I did mine. It wasn't broke though, you might not be able to do it this way.
Put it back on the axle.
Put a lug nut on the stud flat side out/tapered side in.
Get a 1/2 inch drive 17mm socket with an extention on it.
Beat it SQUARE with a hammer.

To put it back on, tighten the wheel back on as you normally would, paying close attention that the grooves on the back of the hub allign with the grooves on the stud.

Good Luck!

Why do you need it square? I stripped mine all to hell and I simply took the wheel off and banged them out with a hammer -with the hub still on the axle. If you snapped the stud close to the hub, get a big punch and just give it a couple of good smacks with a large hammer - that mofo will come out. As for fixing it - the quickest way to get riding again is to just buy a complete used hub (40-50 bucks). Or if you aren't in a hurry you can order 250r studs from servicehonda(they don't sell just the studs for the 400EX, just the complete new hub), but it will take a couple of weeks to get them. Then just line up the spines and put them back on the hub with a hammer. If you want a little extra protection, use some jb weld on the spines of the studs before you put them back in the hub.

racin 400
06-15-2003, 05:34 AM
Well i just went too my dealer and orderd a new hub 50$:eek2: i told the dude if i find out i can get studs that fit the hub or if they sell 400 studs i will stick the hub up his *****.

GNCC#829
06-15-2003, 06:19 AM
ProParts racing sells what they call speed studs. They are $95 for a set of 16 though. Here is what they say about them.

Speed Studs (set of 16) - Need to change your wheels in a hurry? These extended studs with tapered ends for easy aligning of wheels are used by all the Top ATV racers. The fastest way to change your wheel, guaranteed. Just like NASCAR!....Starting From....$95.00

modracer5
06-15-2003, 02:04 PM
www.troy-racing.com 5.22 each stud. you have to order them for an 86 250r. i ordered 8 new ones and had them in 3 days. i drive the old ones out with a hammer then make sure i line up the splines and drove them right back in.

racin 400
06-16-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by modracer5
www.troy-racing.com 5.22 each stud. you have to order them for an 86 250r. i ordered 8 new ones and had them in 3 days. i drive the old ones out with a hammer then make sure i line up the splines and drove them right back in. i am rebuilding my rear end i am gonna order all 86 250Rstuds new lug nuts,and probably a new pivot bolt,brake pads.