PDA

View Full Version : What the f#$% heck is wrong now..HELP

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 08:53 AM
ok guysi ahd another article in here, where a whole crapload of people helped me on my jetting. I used to have a 160main and a 38 pilot. So everyone said thati should put a 40pilot and a 158 main, so i did. NOW IT RUNS LIKE CRAP EVEN MORE:mad: .
ok, it won't idle, for any thing, then when it will idle, i will let it sit, and it will be fine then all a sudden it will just start revving to hell, then come back down.
It also backfires EVERY time i let off the gas, and it is not just one time, it sounds like a friggen shooting range...
NOW this part is scarring me.... ok, when i start it, and when it is running, i can hear the piston moving up and down, like it is not getting enough lubrication.
lastly i pulled the plug and it was gray, like gray to the same silver of the plug, hardle black, edxcept on the sides.
IT NEVER DID THIS WITH THE OLD JETS< WHAT IS WRONG, i am so pi$$ed not, i just spent alot of time to get it fixed, and now it is worse.
also the only thing that i can think of is that it sat for 2 weeks, could the gas be bad? But that would not effect all of this would it?
i touched nothing else
should i change the needle position?
also the old jets i think were dynojets. the main had 2 hex shaped things, then the round main. Some said to take out that second one if i put another hex main in, is that right?

PLEASE HELP SOOOOOOOOOOOOOON

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 08:57 AM
Well, I don't know if I can answer all of your questions, or go into detail... But a good rule of thumb is backfiring=lean, and skipping=rich... As far as all of your other questions, I am sorry, I can not help you there... But you definately need to up size your jets if it backfiring like you said!:)

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 09:01 AM
but i had a 38 pilot and now a 40, so that is richer right? Then i had a 160 main and went to a 158, that is not too far off. Shoould i raise the needle to richen it up? and put eh 160 back in?

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
but i had a 38 pilot and now a 40, so that is richer right? Then i had a 160 main and went to a 158, that is not too far off. Shoould i raise the needle to richen it up? and put eh 160 back in?

Well, that seems like a good start... But if I were you, I would buy a 170 main jet, and a 45 pilot, and raise the needle all the way.... Then ride it and see if it still back fires, if it doesn't, then you know you have a jetting problem, but if it still backfires after being that rich, you know you have another problem... And if you start that high, you arent stuck in the middle wondering which way you should go.. Just start big and go down until you have 0 backfires and 0 skipping!:) :D

twisted threads
06-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 400exbiggun
Shoould i raise the needle to richen it up? and put eh 160 back in?
Thats what I would do. It's better to be to Rich then to Lean.

To richen the Needle you must raise the needle /= drop the clip.:cool:

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 09:31 AM
all right i am going to put the 160 back in now, should i leave the 40 pilot? I don't want to order new jets, my dealer takes 2 weeks to get them in and charges $11 for a pilot and $9 for mains

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 10:20 AM
well, i just stick the 160 back in, and raised the needle, now this thing screams. Although i only took it to the top of the driveway and back:D
One more question though, when i let off the gas, it will make a click, sounds like the plug is not igniting the gas(i don't think that it is that) but it makes a click, it never did that before though.
but now i think i will be too rich, now i raised the needle, put a bigger pilot than before, and before it was way to rich, so we will se.
I will let ya know if the back firing goes away.
p.s. it still sounds like the piston is scraping, it never sounded like that. i have to work ALL DAY tomorrow, so when i get time in the morning or now i will let it rip and tell ya what happend.
SO what are those noises??????????????????

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 10:25 AM
ok, just went out, and it does a little back fire, still won't idle, and it now makes a snapping noise, then dies it i let go of the throttle. what is that? how do i make it idle? and do you think that there is anything wrong with my top end, although i only rode 20min, with the previous jetting.
I will drain gas and put new super in and see also.

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Well, not trying to sound like a smartass here, but have you adjusted the idle screw? If not, then try that... We will go form there... And HOPEFULLY some other members here will help me help you!:)

P.S: gas is probably not your problem here.....

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 11:45 AM
not trying to sound like a retard, but where is it, is it the oneon the side of the carb, or the small one on the bottom?
Does any one know what the snapping noise is?
Its not possible that i scratched my cylinder is it?(looking at all options)
would a compression chcek tell if it is scratched?

AND COMON WHERE IS EVERYONE

Bill Fuller
06-12-2003, 11:57 AM
The idle adjustment is on the side and the air fuel mixture is on the bottom.I don't understand what the "snapping" noise is explain it more.Don't start to panic and over think this problem its a minor adjustment,start rich and work your self down.Make sure the intake boot is not cracked.Honda used to have a black boot that was kinda glued to the intake it will come loose,I believe they changed this on the 2000 and up 400's.

Bill Fuller
06-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Just read your sig the 99's had this problem with the intake so look close.And please don't buy the crapter you think your upset now try adjusting two carbs. :rolleyes:

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 12:07 PM
How is everything after the idle adjustment?????

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 12:16 PM
it will still idle when it wants, i just looked, and the intake boot is missing the hose clamp, will that effect anything??
ok you know when a quad backfires, well it snaps instead of backfires, it will still backfire a little though.
Teh snapping is when ever i let off the throttle, it will snap like 2 times then die.
sounds like it is comming from the topend, but then like one or two will sound like it comes from the exhaust.
it sounds like a stick breaking.

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Yes..... You probably don't have an air tight seal, and it is sucking in more air than what you think, and it is probably sucking in dirt too... Fix this A.S.A.P!!!!!!

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 12:27 PM
got ya, i have to work tomorrow, so i go past the dealer and will get one.

Any thing else???

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 12:29 PM
welp, I will be on tomorrow, as well as other members, if that doesn't help, just post here again and I am willing to help you as much as I can!:)

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 12:34 PM
thanks, i get off of work at 8 pm thought, and i have to go in at 12 now. Stupid managers, i was only going to work from 4-8, but hey bigger pay check:D

flaneledholes
06-12-2003, 12:38 PM
well, just pm me when ya get off work, just incase I aint on, I can get to ya when I do get on!;)

Texan32
06-12-2003, 01:08 PM
here is a question for ya....what kind of jets are you running? From what i can tell, you had a dynojet main in there first and then you ordered a 158 main. Did you order a 158 dynojet or 158 Keihen (factory)? That make a bit of a difference! The sizes are NOT the same. Also, what needle does it have, stock or dynojet? That also makes a difference. Usually, when peple here talk about a 158, 160, 155.....they are talking about dynojets.
With your mods, a 40 pilot (mixture screw 2 1/4 turns out) and a 155 or 158 main should be about right. You DEFINATELY need to fix the clamp situation! You also could do a comp. check. it will let you know if you still have good compression. If its not up there, your wasting your time with the jetting issue:confused2

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 02:18 PM
i have some answers for you, i bought the quad with the jets it used to have. The main was a 160 dynojet, and the pilot was a 38 k, the needle, i have no clue. I replaced the 160 with a 158 factory main, and a 40 pilot from the factory. then the 158 seemed WAY too lean, so i put the 160 in. but before the 160 seemed to rich. So now the needle is in the 4th from top, a 40 pilot and a 160 dynojet main.
Do you mean that i just spent $40 on jets that won't work??
Do Dynojet kits come with different size mains?
also i will get the clamp on the way home from work, and i will try to get a compression check from a friend earlier if possible.

Texan32
06-12-2003, 02:41 PM
i really hate to say it, but i think ya did. I don't know how keihen jets differ from dyno's, but i do know they differ. If i were you, i would see if your dealer will let you return the jets you bought. I started a thread awhile back asking the difference between the two sizes, but didn't get any straight answers. When i had my DMC Alien system on there, i was running a dynojet 165 main, dynojet needle, factory clip position (3rd down), factory 40 pilot, factory mixture screw setting (2 1/4 turns out). She ran like a raped ape! The big gun you have doesn't nees quite as much fuel as mine did. If i were you, i would try to get a 155 or 158 dynojet main and fix the clamp situation. You SHOULD be good to go. Heck, the 160 might work just fine after you get the clamps on there. VERY FIRST..get the clamps! Then go from there:cool:

Texan32
06-12-2003, 02:45 PM
i'll tell you what. Just to be sure that dyno and Keihen jets ARE different, i will call dynojet tomarrow and try to get the scoop straight from them!:macho

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 02:49 PM
yeah, i dont think that my dealer will take the jets back, i had to wait 2 weeks for them to order them:(
i will get the clamp tomorrow.
dont' the kits come with different jet sizes?
if so my friend might have extras he hopefully can spare.
cant really spend too much more on this, getting a raptor in sept hopefully, and trying to get this to last until then.:rolleyes:

400exbiggun
06-12-2003, 02:51 PM
hey thanks, tell me what you find out,
P.S. tell them you got a defective 158 main, so they can give you one free for me, ...he he he:p lol

dhines
06-13-2003, 01:30 AM
The erratic behavior your describing sounds like either an air leak or dirt in the carb - not bad jetting. Make sure you check your boots, get that tube replaced, and spray the carb out real good with some carb cleaner.

Bill Fuller
06-13-2003, 02:34 AM
Oh my...now ther is some usefull information where did you get that from the first page?:rolleyes: :blah: Get back to work,or are at home again huh 3 day:devil:

400exbiggun
06-13-2003, 02:37 AM
hey guess what, lonebehold...i just decided to check the jets, and what do you know there is a small clump of dirt in the bottom where of the float bowl:(
So how do i clean the carb, i never did one before?
do i have to take it all apart?:( :( :confused:

dhines
06-13-2003, 02:49 AM
If you have the float bowl off you're most of the way there. I'd go ahead and remove all of your jets and clean them. Then I'd spray carb cleaner up in all of the seats, around the float bowls, accelerator pump etc. Then slap it all back together and put it back on the machine.

400exbiggun
06-13-2003, 02:52 AM
so i can spray the cleaner all over in there without it doing anything?
Should i spray it in by the needle?

dhines
06-13-2003, 03:32 AM
Spray it liberally everywhere you can. It is specifically made to evaporate and won't hurt a thing - except you (try not to breathe in too much!).

400exbiggun
06-13-2003, 03:37 AM
got ya, i will pick that stuff up when i go to work, and will use it when i get home. I will post what i find, if my DEALER has the parts:ermm:

banshee3501
06-13-2003, 06:03 AM
A thing to remember. Keihen uses the same jets in all of thier carbs, so check other dealers. The local Yamaha shop here stocks all sizes of jets at 4$ each, where as the Honda shop has to special order them for 8$ each..

To clean the carb, pull it off the bike and remove the float bowl. Remove the pilot and main jets and blast some carb cleaner in there. Remove the top, and spray it all around and in the venturi. I like to keep a clean pail underneath it when I do it so I can see what really comes out. Get it all nice and clean, and reassemble once it is dry, making sure you assemble it correctly. I would try picking up a 160 Keihen main, and possibly a 162.. I forget, can you buy a 39 pilot, or no?

400exbiggun
06-13-2003, 02:24 PM
yeah, just got home, clened that bit$# up, got a crap loadd of stuff out. I pulled the pilot air screw, and there was a ton of gunk on the tip of that, so i cleaned it is that ok? i pulled the main and blasted that, and basically everything else, even myself on accident....note to self...wear goggles from now on...lol:eek:
now i have the 160 dynojet 40pj and needle up one position from stock...i have to leave early tomorrow morn, so i will only be able to check it out monday morn, so i will tell ya what happens.:rolleyes:

400exbiggun
06-15-2003, 01:46 PM
hey guys, pulled the carb apart, got carb cleaner, blasted every part. Pulled a hose clamp off the blaster ...shhhhh...its for sale...put the whole thing together, tried to start it, it would not start...then i noticed it was peeing all over from the float, so it took it apart to see if it was stuck, put it all back together, started it up, and it smoked and ran like poop, so then yet again i noticed my choke was on, turned that off, and............................... IT'S ALIVE...WOOWEEEEEEE...but yet again, my new tire leaked air, i just bought them and had bead sealer put on for $20 and now one rear still leaks, but hey i guess thats the price i have to pay to have it run:D

MAN THIS THING FLYS LIKE A BAT OUTTA heck (although i never saw a bat literally fly out of hell :confused: )
i can wheelie soooo easily now. But now i still think it is running rich, but ohhhhh well:blah: :blah:

thanks for all yer help, i am sure i will be back with another long question
peace out

400exbiggun
06-17-2003, 09:24 AM
wow, i just pulled the plug, and it is BLACK BLACK BLACK, is so black, i never saw a color so dark:ermm: . But do i really have to REJET IT, will it hurt anything, or just foul plugs?
It runs good for now though.:( :(