PDA

View Full Version : Decisions.......Decisions

Ryan
06-12-2003, 08:31 AM
Well its time for me to start looking for a new quad. I've had numerous people looking at my quad and it will be out the door soon :) !

So far I have 2 decisions......... Cannondale Cannibal ($5,300) or Suzuki LT-Z400 (5,700). I plan to start racing Harescrambles soon.

I would love to take a Cannondale over a Z400, but im concerned where there future is headed. I have also heard some reliability issues but nothing major. Can anyone clear this up for me?

As for the Z400, I've been riding my friends (KFX) for a few days. It seems like a really nice quad! The power is very controllable and it seems to handle very well. However, I have heard some reliability issues with the week axle, week upper shock mount, (ect). And the quad sits pretty high which im not to comfortable with.

Please give me your opinions.
If you have voted "Other" On the poll, please state your choice.

Thanks.

Fred55
06-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Id take a very close look at a Predator....I got mine for 5600, and I'm loving it! It handles GREAT, has awesome power, and jumps so well!

Doibugu2
06-12-2003, 10:44 AM
What's wrong with the Hondas? You could easily get a decent Honda with aftermarket shocks for $4500 and still have an extra $1k left over to do more mods.

I don't know why people dis the Honda so much when its still one of the best quads out there. :rolleyes:

Ryan
06-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
What's wrong with the Hondas? You could easily get a decent Honda with aftermarket shocks for $4500 and still have an extra $1k left over to do more mods.

I don't know why people dis the Honda so much when its still one of the best quads out there. :rolleyes:

Dis honda? I didn't say one word about them. And I am planning on buying a new quad. Which I like the Z400 and the Cannondale better.

Fred, im not to sure if I want a preditor. They seem like awesomes quads, except the weight of the quad is really holding me back. And the fact that it is over 450cc.

Doibugu2
06-12-2003, 11:29 AM
okay maybe dis was the wrong word. How but exclude?

Ryan
06-12-2003, 12:14 PM
IMO, the Z400 and Cannible are better than the stock 400ex.

anywhereEx
06-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Sence you said that you were worried about the shock mounts on the Z take a look at one fo the recent Dirt Wheels and there is a article about it where the put a picture up of the $600 gusseting that Lonestar does to the frame. Something to go off of.

Rip_Tear
06-12-2003, 01:08 PM
I love my 400ex and all, but instead of voting other I thought I would go with the Dale, just because they are still wicked quads, parts will still be around and if you maintain it, you shouldn't have to worry too much :D Ask Jeff about parts and see what he thinks :D

Good luck!

Ryan
06-12-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I love my 400ex and all, but instead of voting other I thought I would go with the Dale, just because they are still wicked quads, parts will still be around and if you maintain it, you shouldn't have to worry too much :D Ask Jeff about parts and see what he thinks :D

Good luck!

Thanks. I heard jeff say something about where he gets his parts? Well if I deceide to get one, I'll shoot him a pm ;) .

One thing I would like to question on the dale. I hear they are pretty tippy? They don't look really tippy but I have heard they are more tippy then a z-400? Is this true?
Also, how do the ohlins perform? I've heard there not the best shocks but they do alright :ermm: ?

anywhereEx
06-12-2003, 03:28 PM
NO it is not true. The dale is not tippy. As you can see in my sig I am just getting rid of one and the only reason that I did is because I am opening my own buisness and needed to free up $.

The dale will out preform a Z hands down. You will be suprised at how light it is and how easy it handles. One thing to watch out for is comming out of corners and you stab the throttle to hard and it will stand up:D The Dale is a rocket. Best that I could say is look over both and weigh all factors out. Z will immedialty need frame work-Dale if you chit a engine there is only a few places that can build them.

Dune Surfer
06-12-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm buying a Predator, it has the power of a Cannandale and the handling of the Z:D

Ryan
06-13-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I'm buying a Predator, it has the power of a Cannandale and the handling of the Z:D

I thought the C-Dale would smoke a Preditor :confused: .

So far it looks like I might be buying a Cannibal. Unless someone can convince me otherwise :D .

If the Cannondales are all sold out and im unable to buy one, then I might get a z400...... Or maybe I will take a look into the Preditor :ermm: ?

Dune Surfer
06-14-2003, 05:04 AM
I read a review between the dale and the Predator. They were about even. What will you do if you need a part for the dale??
When something breaks, and you know it will. You will be screwed

YamaWarr0121
06-14-2003, 09:28 AM
alright here's how it goes down. with a cannondale number 1.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PARTS we've got guys and guys around here and on the internet with gobs of them..not to mention Maz over at cannondaler.com

take your time, look around and make sure your up to the maintenance, and about 100 dollars of changes you gotta do when you get it. aka, engine mount update, (29.99) stud update probably stage 8 is best (99.99) and a few other modifications/ fixers...
they are great quads no doubt, if you have a lil bit of mechanical ability and like to full around with shiznit wihtout breaking it..( like i love to do) then this is the quad for you.

also, 5300 dont do it. there's a guy on daleriders.com selling one of his 2 speeds never riddin for 5 g's.. so think about it first and then make your decision. if you want a good race quad..what about the new yamaha?..not the pred cos its 500 n over the cc limit which ruins it..but i basically own a z and have a cannibal, no competition at all..go dale, and go fast!:D

AlaskaSpeed
06-14-2003, 09:38 AM
If I was going to be buying a quad right now, it would still be a Cannondale..if I didn't buy the Dale, it would be because I custom built a CRF450 based quad. Parts are something to think about, but there are people out there ready to help and as time goes by I imagine people will step up and see the oppurtunity that keeping parts avaliable for the Dales brings.

Z400, Predator, not impressed. Predator is heavy, and I don't care for how they turn when you are pushing them. My Speed will pull it easy out of the turns and on the straights as well...............JIM

dingo
06-14-2003, 09:46 AM
I would stay with Honda but if you must pick between the two I would pick the z-400. I think Dale is a better quad but they don't have a company since they are bankrupt. Id still go with a Honda and buy aftermarket parts.

Glow Plug
06-15-2003, 10:00 AM
c'dale :D

Ryan
06-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by YamaWarr0121
alright here's how it goes down. with a cannondale number 1.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT PARTS we've got guys and guys around here and on the internet with gobs of them..not to mention Maz over at cannondaler.com

take your time, look around and make sure your up to the maintenance, and about 100 dollars of changes you gotta do when you get it. aka, engine mount update, (29.99) stud update probably stage 8 is best (99.99) and a few other modifications/ fixers...
they are great quads no doubt, if you have a lil bit of mechanical ability and like to full around with shiznit wihtout breaking it..( like i love to do) then this is the quad for you.

also, 5300 dont do it. there's a guy on daleriders.com selling one of his 2 speeds never riddin for 5 g's.. so think about it first and then make your decision. if you want a good race quad..what about the new yamaha?..not the pred cos its 500 n over the cc limit which ruins it..but i basically own a z and have a cannibal, no competition at all..go dale, and go fast!:D

Good info :macho .

The reason why I am not sure about this new Yamaha is because I hear the Suspension and Engine setup is more built for motocross. Which as of now, im still kinda undeceided on what I wanna do. If I do infact stick with motocross, I will put alot of thought into this new Yamaha.

As you said about having to be those modifications listed about. Why is that necessary?

Alaskaspeed, Jeff@thequadshop never has any trouble getting his parts. If I do need a certain part for the Dale, I will find out were Jeff gets his hook-ups.

Atreyu
06-16-2003, 03:49 PM
If I were you I'd buy a nice 400ex with all the goodies. You can more options for way cheaper by going used. Might just be my opinion because I like EX's ;)