PDA

View Full Version : 400ex oil cooler

mike flock
01-07-2002, 06:08 PM
buddy of mine just bought an add on oil cooler for his 400ex from four stroke tech. mickey dunlap says it will lower the oil temp. about 50 degees. he said it works so well that he may not have to face harden the rocker arms. buddy says it looks cool. just gotta install it now.

9300EX
01-07-2002, 06:30 PM
wow 50 degrees thats alot. Most oil cooler mfg's claim only about 8 to10 degrees drop. post a picture of it when you get done so we can all check it out:D

Wheelie
01-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Are you talking about the oil cooler, or the oil tank. I have been looking for an larger aftermarket oil cooler for some time.

If you are infact talking about the oil cooler, could you post a pic, price, and amount of rows? Thanks

400exdad
01-07-2002, 07:12 PM
I'd like to see a pic too. I would also like to know how the installation goes.

I saw on moto-man.com the other day that OMG is making radiator scoops for 400's. On sale for $55. Anyone seen any installed or have some?

NJ300ex
01-07-2002, 07:20 PM
how much does it cost? I am asking this because i say an add for a 13 row oil cooler in dirtwheels but it cost close to $500.

mike flock
01-07-2002, 07:36 PM
the oil cooler cost $135.00. i am not sure if he can put pics on the net, i will have to ask him. if you call fst at 1-814-842-6159 he might be able to help. i am not sure if it is on his webb site. www.fourstroketech.com i didn't ask him about the rows, i will find out.

Honda Guy
01-08-2002, 01:51 PM
So its not the tank right? Its the radiator looken thing?

Holty
01-08-2002, 02:03 PM
i'm also interested. thanks

mike flock
01-08-2002, 05:33 PM
i talked to mr. dunlap at four stroke tech today and he said that his webb site will have all the info. you will need in a couple of days. he said to look for "new product releases" on his webb site.

400exdad
01-09-2002, 06:24 AM
I just went to www.fourstroketech.com and the oil cooler is in the the "Kit of the Month" button. It doesn't replace the stock cooler and appears to "splice" into the exisiting lines. I think I like the idea that someone else mentioned earlier about finding a bigger cooler and having some hoses made. Of course it is one stop shopping though.

NJ300ex
01-09-2002, 01:48 PM
its the same oil cooler they sell for the 300ex.

badass400ex
01-12-2002, 02:40 PM
does it hold more oil? if so how much more?

tinner
01-12-2002, 07:12 PM
If I'm wrong someone correct me,but wouldn't you be able to use an aftermarket tranny cooler from a car ? I know Hayden made them there have to be more. Trans fluid is a type of oil...why not ? Then it would be doing the plumbing that could get a little tricky. BTW, I just saw this and it does look like the trick setup.Sure beats a $Pingry$ tank for temps.

400exdad
01-13-2002, 10:33 AM
I agree with you Tinner. If you get to look at the specs of diff. tranny coolers, it would be easy. Anybody have access to one? I think you could use hydraulic hose to make the connections, or some automatic tranny hose. I wonder how he takes his kit into the top of the head to cool the cam?

tinner
01-13-2002, 10:46 AM
400exdad,I was wondering how he went into the head also.It would be nice to see some better pics :D. I don't think you would definitley need hydraulic lines,but maybe some nice fuel injection clamps and fuel line (I'm not sure on this one,clamps that is) just so long as you don't have a leaker.One more thing...The screen cover is perforated aluminum,with a little searching this could be found somewhere that sells steel and misc. metals.

01-13-2002, 03:15 PM
i got a 88 ranger trans cooler i will look at but i dont know which lines go where. Maybe mr dunlap will help us poor people out and tell us if there's a way to use a trans cooler

01-13-2002, 03:27 PM
ok, since i don't think dunlap will help us out i think his oil cooler hooks in to the line that comes out of the top of the oil resivoir and goes into the valve cover. i think all thats need is to splicer a cooler into this line. i will do it when i put my quad together.

oynot400
01-14-2002, 10:32 AM
I talked with one of the guys from Four Stroke Tech the other day. They are drilling and taping a hole in the side cover to get access to a oil galley. Then they drill and tap another hole in the head cover so the cool oil drops on the rockers.
The thing that I am concerned with is the way they mount the cooler. It mounts to the screen and the screen it zip tied to the frame. I just don't know how well that will hold up on a mx track. Other wise I don't think that $135 is a bad price for the kit. :)

Matt Fisher
01-14-2002, 08:02 PM
There's no reason why a larger oil cooler can't be plumbed in instead of or in addition to the stock one. I'd suspect Honda knew what they were doing when they chose the existing spots for the inlet/outlet.

When I have time, :rolleyes: I'll put the wrecking yard aquired Mitsubishi Starion Turbo oil cooler on my 400EX. Weld a bracket right in front of the steering stem, have some lines made up (really don't want to use hose clamps), and wala'- cooler engine.

As long as the oil lines aren't smaller than the factory ones, just about any oil or tranny cooler will work fine. A really big one could cause a drop in oil pressure though.

Dunlap
01-14-2002, 09:00 PM
Sorry for not getting back to everyone quicker on this matter. There are a whole lot of issues to address here. We have been testing this oil cooler system on Chad Duvall's GNCC pro class 500EX for this year. We have not had any problems with the mounting procedure in the cross-country racing so it should hold up in moto-cross also. The screen we use also adds to the cooling of the radiator system. The trick to the cooler itself is that it has an inner structure through the tubes to pull the hot oil out of the center of the line spinning it as it goes through the oil cooler to the outside therefore dissipating the heat quicker than most regular transmission coolers. Unfortunately, on my web site I have a bigger cooler pictured than what we are currently using. I have been using the one we have been running on the 300EX's and will be testing this bigger one but the pressure drop may be an issue in the long duration. Not all transmission coolers and oil coolers are created equal so be careful you don't burn up your cam and rocker arms! I have done extensive testing and have gotten good results but I would like to run an even bigger cooler for better results. I will keep you posted.