PDA

View Full Version : Best way to tighten clutch center

dhines
06-12-2003, 03:02 AM
Alright, for all of you ladies who have changed out your clutch baskets:

Does anyone have a trick for holding the clutch center while tightening the lock nut? I've always just held the center with a rag and hit the nut with an impact wrench and though I've never really had in problems with this method, I'd really like to be able to do it right and actually put the torque wrench to it. Does anyone know of a tool, other than the one from Honda, that will work?

Thanks

dirtmomma
06-12-2003, 03:09 AM
Muwwwaaahhhaaa!!!!! good luck getting any help from anyone on here LOL LOL Sorry just had to laugh cuz I had clutch questions a couple days ago & got NO help. We just did my clutch & what we did was take vise grips:eek2: w/ a rag on the basket & braced it against the frame & just used a socket & we tapped the a few times to tighten it back to stock (lined the marks up) we don't have a impact so thats what we had to do. OK now for using a torque wrench....hhuummmmm I think the only way your goin to get that done is w/ that tool from Honda BTW do you have one of those fancy things?? I'm needing to order one soon, we made one for our blaster but of course it's different. Anyway good luck I'm interested to see how many posts you get on this:)

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Get someone to hold backup with a leather belt, or a strap wrench. Or if it is just you, stick a flat head screwdriver in the basket tabs, and bind the other end up on the motor casing. Try not to crack the basket though.

Thats the way I did it when I didnt have any help.

06-12-2003, 06:03 AM
when you take that clutch center bolt off you are suposed to replace it becasue of the staking, it messes the threads up.....I dont have a tourque wrench or the proper clultch center tool so i put some loctite on he nut. finger tighetened it to start so i dont cross thead..then put the impact gun on and tightened it up pretty good...then i staked the new bolt and i was done

dhines
06-13-2003, 01:38 AM
Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to just break down and buy the tool if I want to do it right. Somehow I see the impact wrench coming out again... :ermm:

dhines
06-13-2003, 01:40 AM
Although, now that I think about it, I could just wait until the engine is back in the frame with the chain and everything hooked up. Maybe that's what I'll do. :macho

jcv400ex
06-13-2003, 03:02 AM
There is an actual tool you can buy to hold on to the basket so it won't turn. That's what I use!

dhines
06-13-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by jcv400ex
There is an actual tool you can buy to hold on to the basket so it won't turn. That's what I use!

Did you buy the one from Honda or did you find another one? I'm afraid Honda's will be expensive and difficult to come by.

dirtmomma
06-13-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by dhines
Did you buy the one from Honda or did you find another one? I'm afraid Honda's will be expensive and difficult to come by.
Yeah thats what I was thinkin too, could ya tell us where you ordered it from & what it's called. Thanks:)

mouse1
06-13-2003, 01:39 PM
No you don't' have to buy one of those fancy tools. If you replaced your fiber and steel plates just take one of those left over steel plates and weld ya some handles on it , make sure you make the handle come straight out then over so you can clear the basket. then put the plate on the inner basket hold the handle and torque it down.

250rpilot
06-13-2003, 02:10 PM
the tool i got is Motion Pro part number- 08-0008 i got it at my local dealer for 29.95.

terko440
06-13-2003, 03:51 PM
Yup, 250R Pilot is right on. motion pro's universal center clutch holder. Basically a set of vice grips with some different claws. Another thing I like to use is some older gears that I had to replace in the transmission. meshes right in with the oil pump gears. And Make sure you retorque it correctly when putting it back on.

RIZZO
06-14-2003, 09:51 AM
All you need to do is place a penny between the gears, the penny is copper and soft , so doing this won't hurt your gears.........i must say that this would be the cheapest tool for the job.

BigAl
06-14-2003, 12:26 PM
9 out of 10 so called Factory mechanics, will hold the basket by hand and use an impact wrench.

The penny in the gears also works very well also.

Another method I have used is to put it in a high gear, and hold the rear brake, the tranny will hold backup, and there is no danger of damage.

dhines
06-15-2003, 03:59 AM
Well you guys won't believe this, but I was going through my tools and managed to find one of the Motion Pro holders that I bought several years ago. I had completely forgotten about it!

Anyway, it got the job done. The basket is now properly torqued and I'm hoping to have the whole thing done in another few days.

Thanks for all of the input! I'll be trying the penny trick when I tighten up my stator.

Dennis:macho