PDA

View Full Version : 400ex valve adj

crappie29
06-11-2003, 01:29 PM
ok this is my first time.. 400ex new I followed the procedure step by step.. At the point where you line the T mark up and it says your rocker should have play mine doesnt(spun the wheel six times like it says in the procedure all the while checking for play). If I keep going past the t mark(it seems like another compression or start of valves are at the top starting down) all the rockers have play(but the T mark is not in the window). To experiment I went back and put the T mark in the window loosened the adjustment the rocker would follow it up? Which means I am not top dead center?? :confused: So I dont know to adjust it where are 4 are loose and there is no T mark in the window or follow the stupid procedure which means my valves were all shyted up:mad: from factory??? I am doing this because I hear a knocking noise ever since I had it...:(

GNCC#829
06-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Remove the spark plug. That will get rid of the compression. If there is no play in your rockers, spin it ONE more time. There are two top dead centers, one compression, and one exhaust. You are apparently on the wrong stroke.

cals400ex
06-11-2003, 07:01 PM
if you line up the T mark, aren't you on the correct stroke automatically? or will the T mark line up on compression and exhaust?

Bill Fuller
06-11-2003, 07:18 PM
Thats why it's called a 4 stroke motor.If the valve is not loose than rotate around one more time,you should have slack on all rockers.If you don't this could be normal if this is your first adjustment as the valves will tighten over time.Loosen all valves up on the stroke you think is top than make your adjustments,if it is not on the proper stroke than the exhaust valve on the right side (clutch side) the tappet will be noticably higher than all the others.It will not hurt the motor if you don't get this right it will just tick like a sewing machine so you know you did it wrong.The reason it will tick is because you have set the valve on the decompression stroke.

crappie29
06-12-2003, 05:54 AM
GOT IT!!! Took out the spark plug and 2nd time around all 4 rockers were loose!!:D Adjusted them all to spec.. Didnt think the spark plug would have that much of an effect.. Oh well, learn somethin' every day. Suppose that means I have some good compression!! Thanks everyone for the input!!