PDA

View Full Version : My experience with Goodyear Tires

Mxbubs
06-11-2003, 12:33 PM
Purchased a set of Goodyear Wranglers from a bud of mine. He took them off his z-71 about a week after he got it brand new. I put them on my truck. 30k miles later, the side walls on all 4 are splitting. The front 2 were real bad, very close to blowing out, could have caused a bad wreck. I called Goodyear and they told me to pound salt. They said the tires were out of warranty. On top of not offering ANY help, they said nothing about the safety issue this was. I offered to give them the manufacture batch number I found on the inside of the tire so they could maybe investigate in case there are other people out there riding around on these defected tires. I thought maybe they could prevent an accident. They totally declined any info I had. They basically told me to get screwed. Here are the pics, see for yourself.

In their opinion, this was no big deal for a tire with 30k miles on them. What do you guys think?

Goodyear's email: goodyear_cr@goodyear.com
My case #: 627871

Does this look like a dangerous defect or what?

Mxbubs
06-11-2003, 12:34 PM

Pappy
06-11-2003, 12:35 PM
contact whoever you can outside of goodyear:ermm: thats a lawsuit waitin to happen:(

Mxbubs
06-11-2003, 12:35 PM

Mxbubs
06-11-2003, 12:36 PM
All 4 of them are starting to split. This one was the worse, but as you can see, the tread doesnt look too bad. The tires are defects.

bigbadbrad
06-11-2003, 01:16 PM
i have had no problems with my goodyears other then the yellow letering fading on them, then agaiin these are the original tires on my 01. maybe it is becuase they are shot, and it is time for new tires, but still the bead should not crack like that

Juggalo
06-11-2003, 01:20 PM
put a roll cage and 5 point harnesses in your truck, get a helmet and rail the crap out of it until they blow and then sue em! haha

batgeek
06-11-2003, 01:33 PM
holy chit...that blows(pun intended).

thats scarey stuff there. contact the BBB or a respectable Consumer Advocacy program.

batgeek
06-11-2003, 01:33 PM
durned dbl-post cr@p!!! :mad:

Taco
06-11-2003, 01:40 PM
That's why I only use Firestone Tires:devil:

Rip_Tear
06-11-2003, 01:45 PM
I think some tires are just hit and miss... (not that that is good) but my moms first set of Good years, were awsome, lasted 2 years. These new ones are crap, and she is already getting new ones after less then 8 months...

Ram2500V10
06-11-2003, 01:53 PM
I had a set of the Wrangler RT/S. THEY SUCK!

They are terrible in snow/mud, horrible in the rain, and squeal like none other when pushed.

I nearly spun my truck in the rain the first time I drove it!

I upgraded to BFG A/T KO, and have had 3 sets. There is simply no comparison.

holeshot19
06-11-2003, 02:02 PM
whats the last 4 digits of the ser # on the back side of the tires. first off the tires u r showing have the slant leters wrangler RTS came from the factor only on chrysler trucks and jeep products and that size 24575r16 came mostly on 1500 dodge trucks. all the gm trucks and ford products came with the letters streight. post those numbers and ill tell when they were made.

kaneman23
06-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Actually 30K out of a set of factory truck tires is good. Most dealers put the cheapest tire stock they can on new cars/trucks. They also have softer sidewalls and compounds to give that nice plush ride. That same goodyear tire that you have on your truck is lower quality then the one you would buy off the shelf at your local goodyear dealer..... I have the same problems with my 03' 4runner right now. The dunlop tires are wearing incredibly fast and I've already had 2 punctures in less then 6K miles. I've been told that these aren't the same tires that I would by from a dunlop dealer and that they are a much cheaper version. I will be lucky to get 20K miles out of them...

Pappy
06-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Taco
That's why I only use Firestone Tires:devil:

;) i got it:p

Glow Plug
06-11-2003, 03:49 PM
:eek: i would get ni contact with somebody right away :eek:

Mxbubs
06-11-2003, 04:36 PM
46542542 Is the number I found on a sticker inside the tires.

I thought they came stock on his truck. He gave me his z rims to take to my tire place to take off and put on my truck. They were brand new.

Bean
06-11-2003, 05:12 PM
30k is a decent amount of miles, if they were not inflated properly, that could have caused it, they looked overinflated because the tread on the inside was bald, and the outside was fine, maybe they were just inflated wrong, never rotated, and you also have to take in consideration where you drive, do you use special cleaners on your tires that may damage rubber? swamper TSL's and Boggers last around 10k

Ketch
06-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I had a new 97 z71 with the same tire. The first hunting trip all five tires had one flat or more.:mad: Those tires are inertubes with trend.

Martin Blair
06-11-2003, 07:08 PM
my parents always buy bf goodridge and i plan to never ahd any problems

jamiesel
06-11-2003, 09:12 PM
mxbubs...

You havn't brrn using them with ver low tire pressure in the sand have you?

UglyMotha™
06-12-2003, 02:49 AM
ya, bean nailed that one looking at those pics it's nothing that goodyear did those tires have been ran past there limit and somewhere along the line sombody has over inflated theose tire cause like bean said the centers are shot but the edges are still in good condition plus another big factor that can play a big role is lack of rotation your tires should be rotated every oil change and if you don't do this that eat a good set of tires up quick i'm not pointing the finger at you but maybe the guy that had them before but my buddy is in the tire bussiness big time and if he saw the pics he would have told you the same thing good year did

QuadJunkies
06-12-2003, 05:01 AM
Godd year sucks!!! We were on our way on a duning trip lastyear and stopeed in before leaving to make sure the breaks were ok cause they sounded like they were grinding..WEll,.... the guy said"Awe, your fine you dont even need pads,so we drove 11 hours like that. we get home and I tell Troy, I dont believne the pads are ok so we tore them apart..............And what do we find........down to bare metal!:mad: We were climbing big hills with the rig and pullling alot of weight we could have lost it going down hill. To me this Ahole put our lives at risk un needlessly...WEll, Troy went an showed them the brakes and made them fix them for FREE.....;)

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 05:28 AM
The tires were properaly inflated. Its not coincidence that all four are splitting. If just one split, I would be open to suggestion. All four? No way, they are defects.

Yes they were rotated. The wear is even on all four. My truck is aligned.

Bottomline, the tires are dangerous, and Goodyear told me to get screwed.

UglyMotha™
06-12-2003, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Godd year sucks!!! We were on our way on a duning trip lastyear and stopeed in before leaving to make sure the breaks were ok cause they sounded like they were grinding..WEll,.... the guy said"Awe, your fine you dont even need pads,so we drove 11 hours like that. we get home and I tell Troy, I dont believne the pads are ok so we tore them apart..............And what do we find........down to bare metal!:mad: We were climbing big hills with the rig and pullling alot of weight we could have lost it going down hill. To me this Ahole put our lives at risk un needlessly...WEll, Troy went an showed them the brakes and made them fix them for FREE.....;)

quadjunkies goodyear don't make brake pads :huh

phatswinn
06-12-2003, 05:45 AM
where is the goodyear corp. located? if there close to you i would drive there and go straight to one of the head guys and show them ur tire and act p/oed, they dont got the ball to tell you to leave with there crappy tire

i i dont think ill ever buy goodyear tires again...

UglyMotha™
06-12-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
The tires were properaly inflated. Its not coincidence that all four are splitting. If just one split, I would be open to suggestion. All four? No way, they are defects.

Yes they were rotated. The wear is even on all four. My truck is aligned.

Bottomline, the tires are dangerous, and Goodyear told me to get screwed.

whatever dude, i've got plenty of buds with wranglers and they don't have probs i find it ironic that that all four of your tires wore the same exact way if those tires were so dangerous don't ya think there would be more people whining like you and there would be a big stink like they had with the firstone tires a while back

Texan32
06-12-2003, 05:57 AM
i've been working with tires for over 6 years now. Good Year is just that...good for a year. Seriously though. I can't stress enough how badly goodyear overprices their product. The BFG K/O is BY FARRRRRRRR a superior tire to ANY all terrain tire that Bad Year makes. And, you will pay less for the BFG! I have pitty for ANYONE who buys goodyears! Hell, i would rather buy a private tire like sport kings, or Timberline AT's ten times before i touch a Goodyear! The ONLY goodyear (Car or Truck tire) i would have ANYTHING to do with is the new MT/R. Other than that, there are WAY better tires that are MUCH cheaper....BFG, Yokohama, Perelli, Michelin, Bridgstone...and the list goes on...

Dirt
06-12-2003, 06:16 AM
Michelin LTX A/T my fav tire awsome performance. Only Michelin for me from now on. IMO better than BFG AT.

spincr4hire
06-12-2003, 06:22 AM
yep, Goodyear sux. I just got Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's, great riding all terrain tire, and good in the rain. 60,000 mile, too.

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
whatever dude, i've got plenty of buds with wranglers and they don't have probs i find it ironic that that all four of your tires wore the same exact way if those tires were so dangerous don't ya think there would be more people whining like you and there would be a big stink like they had with the firstone tires a while back

Haahaha....I was gonna reply, but I dont think you deserve one.:rolleyes: :D

QuadJunkies
06-12-2003, 06:55 AM
quadjunkies goodyear don't make brake pads :huh Goddyear does brake jobs here in Boise:rolleyes:

bigbadbrad
06-12-2003, 07:04 AM
yeah but you know what, the only tire i will buy for my truck will be goodyear eagle 1.
that is because that is what the truck came with from the factory for my special edtion. so iwant to keep the look.

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Goddyear does brake jobs here in Boise:rolleyes:

Im with you QuadJunkies.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WANTIN AN EX
06-12-2003, 07:36 AM
i got a new set of 305 70 16 wrangler at/s put on my truck back in the winter, i love those things, ride great, do good in rain and such my whole family has always ran g-year tires no probs, dad has over 30000 on his wrangler rts same size as yours the tread looks very different tho??? no problems. those tires have worn unevenly tho strange looking... my next tire will be either MT/R's or some type of swamper and ill take my 30,000 out of the swamper for the performance off road and the KILLER LOOK... but my local g-year place is great about making us happy so thats what it all comes down to in the end i know if i have a tire do what ur have done they will replace them no questions asked... sucks for you tho man that does look very bad on goodyear. lata

UglyMotha™
06-12-2003, 07:47 AM
Goddyear does brake jobs here in Boise:rolleyes:

and thats got what to do with the quality of goodyear tires :confused: :huh

when ya talk tires its bout like talking about chevy, ford, and dodge everybody has had there good and bad experiences with each so i'm not arguing with you it's pointless which is obvious from this thread but like i said whatever,....... ya get what ya pay for, i run hoosiers on my truck no complaints, but they weren't cheap

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 07:49 AM
Hoosiers? Like the B-ball team?:D

EXracer8604
06-12-2003, 07:54 AM
i run goodyear eagle GT II's 275/45/20, and never had a problem, maybe your freind got a defected batch? :confused:

UglyMotha™
06-12-2003, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Hoosiers? Like the B-ball team?:D

http://www.fayettetire.com/hoosier.html

i would prefer the comparison to the race tire if just sounds cooler i have the a/t's you might wanna check into them they were kinda pricey but i don't regret it one bit plus another thing just how cool is it to have the big white letter hoosier on the side of your tire definantly would be unique cause i have never seen another truck in my area with hoosier all terrain tires:p

EXracer8604
06-12-2003, 08:11 AM
you have race tires on a ranger :huh :p j/p with ya

QuadJunkies
06-12-2003, 08:15 AM
and thats got what to do with the quality of goodyear tires :confused: :huh

when ya talk tires its bout like talking about chevy, ford, and dodge everybody has had there good and bad experiences with each so i'm not arguing with you it's pointless which is obvious from this thread but like i said whatever,....... ya get what ya pay for, i run hoosiers on my truck no complaints, but they weren't cheap I was just referring to the Co. Good year in General....Thats all.....;)

UglyMotha™
06-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by 94flamds10blazr
you have race tires on a ranger :huh :p j/p with ya

yah yah, but there all terrain race tires

06-12-2003, 08:23 AM
bump.......your screwed

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by roperman911
bump.......your screwed

Tell me about it.:(

kaneman23
06-12-2003, 02:56 PM
The tires automakers put on cars/trucks at the Factory SUCK!

They just aren't the same quality.

Leo
06-12-2003, 11:54 PM
That's pretty much identical to the tires that came on the Ram's for 7 years or so.. Never seen one failing like that.. Out of tens of thousands that we've had in the shop.. Although people rarely keep them on the truck for 30k they are usually in the scrap pile long before that..

If I had to guess I'd say that it was either done during mounting / dismounting -or- the rims were to wide for the tire. Low pressure may also have been a factor (look closely at the sidewalls / lettering)..

Ya got 30k out of a set of OEM tires you got used.. Move on man :D OEM tires are nothing more than cheap pieces of garbage they put on so the trucks will be able to roll to the dealerships ;)

Blaming firestone tires for the Explorer's problem is like blaming spoons for rosie odonell being fat.. Poor suspension / vehicle design, nothing more, nothing less.. Tires have been blowing out as long as there have been tires, the difference is you can control most vehicles with a blown tire :D

Leo

400grl
06-13-2003, 06:43 AM
Those tires look like they have been put through the wringer....seriously. The tread wear is all messed up (all bald in the middle - something was wrong with the tire pressure) and obviously at one time there was some severe stress put on the tire at the rim area - looks like they were overinflated for a long time, and at some point severely deflated and then romped on......
But - I have never had those type of tires on anything, so I don't really know. That's just what it looks like. :)

I had the Goodyear MTR's on my Nissan when they first came out - didn't have any problems with them at all - except being what they were I had to keep up on the rotation.

I now have BFG Mudders on my Z-71 - they are also great tires. Obviously they won't last as long as regular tires, but I'll pay the price for some beefy tread!;)

bongwater200
06-13-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Ram2500V10
I had a set of the Wrangler RT/S. THEY SUCK!

I upgraded to BFG A/T KO, and have had 3 sets. There is simply no comparison.

TRUE

gncc400exxx
06-13-2003, 11:45 AM
I had a set of Wrangler RT/S on the ford ,265/75/15 . got almost 75,000 miles out of that set. Had a blow out on one or they would probably still be on the truck.

Bfg AT/KO 32x11.5 now

kaneman23
06-15-2003, 02:38 PM
Ya got 30k out of a set of OEM tires you got used.. Move on man OEM tires are nothing more than cheap pieces of garbage they put on so the trucks will be able to roll to the dealerships

My point exactly! He should be thankful he got what he did out of them instead of looking for a handout from GY...