PDA

View Full Version : I have been thinking about a new quad...and i am going to make a custom 450 quad

Slick
06-10-2003, 06:22 PM
I have been thinking a lot lately about selling my 400ex and getting another quad...but the question is, what quad to get?? i dont have enough money for a new yzf450...but after talking to some people and thinking, i came up with a plan. I have a cousin that could build me a aluminum frame, and i will put some type of 426-450 engine in it "undecided". I was thinking of building a 250r based frame, have 250r arms, swingarm and everything. Here is how it would go down.....custom frame, 450 4 stroke engine, elka shocks, arens arms, undecided swingarm and axle, beadlock rims, razr tires, renthal chain and sprockets, renthal bars, fullbore plastics, powdercoated frame .... most of the rest i would get used from east coast atv.

Does all that sound good???

Oh, and any ideas on a decent priced used engine for this beast?

Any ideas on anything are welcome

"BLAHH"300!!
06-10-2003, 06:48 PM
polish the aluminum

Nausty
06-10-2003, 08:17 PM
why don't you just slowly turn your 400ex into a hybrid while auctioning off parts you won't need anymore on the internet. You already got the quad to do it with.

killed300ex
06-11-2003, 12:02 AM
just a thought but on a rough calculation the stuff you wanted to make the custom quad is going to be more expensive than the the yami 450. IT only gonna cost about 8000 and you have got like at least 10 grand there i think i could be wrong but i think you would be better off just buying a yzf if you could come up with the moneybecause a conversion you want to do is going to sot even more i bet
killed

Slick
06-11-2003, 07:33 AM
no, it wouldnt be over 10 g's....a free frame, then i would buy the engine, and works shocks, some decent a-arms, fullbore fenders, and idk bout the rest, but i know that i would get all the parts that i didnt need to buy new from east coast atv, i wouldnt have that much in it.

I was up till 4 a.m last night looking at prices on everything haha

hessianmx111
06-11-2003, 07:53 AM
unless your cousin is really talented i doubt the frame would last. but you could try to part out your bike and keep the frame and go from there:ermm:

TheRedRebel17
06-11-2003, 08:02 AM
just wait for the CRF/ex frame from arens :ermm:

trueblue450
06-11-2003, 08:15 AM
Yeah good luck with making your own frame.. ESP WITH ALUMINUM theres no way it will handle the abuse a 450 would dish on it..(unless your friend is awesome with alum) Quad companies spend a long time and a lot of money to design their frames. And when they do design it they still have to make the design. I couldn't imagine making a frame with good geometry on the first try...Anyway.. does any company use aluminum on a quad frame? I know yami is tryin it with their sub frame..

twisted threads
06-11-2003, 09:17 AM
Good Luck!! with the money you put into the new bike you could have your Ex ripping around for less money.... and yes you can make EX's rip