PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about kodiak?

PHIL_B54
06-10-2003, 05:45 PM
my friend just bought one, said he will pick it up thursday

01' Kodiak 400 4X4

anything to watch? poor yamaha air filter design?

i told him i would ask of the internet's infinite wisdom

skemp
06-10-2003, 06:52 PM
A friend of mine has one. Overall, I have been pretty impressed with its mudding and woods capabilities, even with those skinny rear tires. One thing I have noticed however, it that it doesn't seem to be true 4x4. Once in a while, especially while turning, only one front tire is getting power. It still does pretty good in the mud though, it won't set any records, but it definitely does its job well. :)

derekhonda
06-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Kodiaks are nice machines, they (as far as i know) have a slip differential so its like always in 4 wheel drive (makes it harder to turn) but then again it has a slip differential which is just like a car, one (i think) wheel spins until it loses traction and then the others kick in in some random order. If you want it to be a true 4 wheel drive you would need to buy a locker.

PHIL_B54
06-11-2003, 01:38 AM
he specifically wanted to know if the air filter was ok. i havent looked at it, but he said it just sits in there. he wanted to make sure there wasnt a conversion kit or something to get a better seal or something, like the yamaha sport quads.

thank you

dirtmomma
06-11-2003, 03:34 AM
I have an 00 Kodiak & have had NO problems w/ the air filter at all & I been thru DEEP water & mudd w/ it!! As far as the 4X4 I love it the way it's set up, I think it steers very easy when in 2WD but yeah it's a little harder in 4WD. Anyway they are awesome quads have never had any probs w/ mine in fact I decided NOT to sell it when I got my 300EX cuz it's soooo dependable & it's a good beginners quad, I learned on mine & rode it for 3 yrs before getting a sport quad & I think it really made me a better rider.

dirtmomma
06-11-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Kodiaks are nice machines, they (as far as i know) have a slip differential so its like always in 4 wheel drive (makes it harder to turn) but then again it has a slip differential which is just like a car, one (i think) wheel spins until it loses traction and then the others kick in in some random order. If you want it to be a true 4 wheel drive you would need to buy a locker.

NO it is NOT in 4WD all the time it is pushbutton 4X4, thye go thru about anything when in 4WD though!!! I've pulled many Polaris out of rivers,ditches,mudd,ect w/ mine:D :D :D :D

PHIL_B54
06-11-2003, 04:13 AM
well that was pretty much what we wanted to know

thank you everyone