PDA

View Full Version : Pilot and main jet questions????

bandit390
06-10-2003, 01:51 PM
Ok, so im using the stock pilot jet and a 155 main dynojet. Mods are 440 kit (10:5:1 comp.)
XR cam, UNI filter with the lid off, white bros E-series exhaust and other little stuff.

Question is, why are the jets im using SOOO much lower than others, even people with less mods than me? Also, I checked my plug, its running just right.

GNCC#829
06-10-2003, 01:53 PM
My mods are very similar to yours, We have the same main, but I have a 42 pilot. If it is running right and the plug is right then don't worry about it!

chad502ex
06-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by bandit390
Ok, so im using the stock pilot jet and a 155 main dynojet. Mods are 440 kit (10:5:1 comp.)
XR cam, UNI filter with the lid off, white bros E-series exhaust and other little stuff.

Question is, why are the jets im using SOOO much lower than others, even people with less mods than me? Also, I checked my plug, its running just right.

seems right on to me. I bet its dialed in.

Chad502ex.com

anywhereEx
06-10-2003, 02:01 PM

Well if everything is fine and you have done plug checks at 1/4, 1/2 and wot and everything is fine then you actually have it set right. One thing alot of pople do is take the choke out and you have to take the Pilot to 42 immediatly. And another thing is not everyone here actually have their jetting where it should be and alot of people prefer it to be a tad bit rich.

chad502ex
06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by anywhereEx
Well if everything is fine and you have done plug checks at 1/4, 1/2 and wot and everything is fine then you actually have it set right. One thing alot of pople do is take the choke out and you have to take the Pilot to 42 immediatly. And another thing is not everyone here actually have their jetting where it should be and alot of people prefer it to be a tad bit rich.

true. dialing your motor in throughout the power band is key to not loading up your plug (rich) or running to way too lean. The easiest/quickest way to check to see if your dialed in is to...

run wide open in 5th gear for at least 5 seconds on a long flat couple mile stretch. Once you get in 5th for at least five seconds, shut down the motor using the kill switch and coast to stop. wait till the motor cools enough to remove the plug and check for tan color. tan is perfect, white or grey is lean, black is rich. 5th gear is key cause motor is ~1:1. if the mtors stutters or bobbles during 5th gear run then too rich.

My site has great info on "Tech Talk" titled "Charb Chart". Hope this helps.

Chad502EX.com