PDA

View Full Version : 42 pilot is the cold start answer Thanks!!!

cbrown400ex
01-07-2002, 07:51 AM
I decided to go against what was suggested to me my my local dealers and shop owners. I really didn't think the valves had all that much to do with it. Plus I thought they made plenty of noise once it was up and running. I took the carb off, which only takes about 20 min, the hardest part is getting the trottle cable off. Took it to my local atv shop and the 42 pilot he had looked exactly like the stock one but was phiscally longer. Me and him both thought it would work. So for 7 bucks I gave it a try. I let it sit over 24 hr. in mid 30 degree weather in my un-heated shop. I choked it a little bit and it started right up. Still cold natured but it will at least start so you can get it to warm up. Has anyone tried to mail honda about this problem? Later this week I have to fix bot of my friends' ex's. The only thing that made me mad about the whole thing is my local honda dealer swore up and down that the 400ex does not have a cold start problem. I think he is full of you no what. Anyway thanks for all the help. My starter really appreciates it. This is a great site. Thanks to everyone who keeps this site up and running and all who give sound advice.

01-07-2002, 08:56 AM
What elevation are you at? It took 15 minutes to get mine started yesterday in 33 weather. Do you think you will have to change the jets back out in the summer. How long did it take you to do it? Was is easy. WHere did you buy the jets from.

Thanks
Rick

cbrown400ex
01-07-2002, 09:32 AM
Not sure what elevation, but I am in Arkansas. I would say below 3000 feet. Mine took way longer than 15 minutes to get it started. I would always run the battery dead at least twice. I think the jet will work fine during the summer. Honda's are lean from the factory anyway. I probably won't have to use my choke as much. In 90 degree weather I still would have to use my choke to start it. It only tok about 20 minutes to get the carb off and about 10 to put it back on. The pilot jet is on the bottom end of the carb. All you have to do is take the bottom plate off and screw out the jet and put the new one in. It is extremely easy. You can get jets from a local atv shop or order them through your honda dealer. I think dennis kirk has them online. They are series 21 kehin. Hope this helps.

moto93
01-07-2002, 11:27 AM
I live in Michigan and never have any problems starting my bike in cold weather. I just pump the gas twice, turn up the idle, and choke it. Starts right up and when it warms up I just turn the idle back down.

01-07-2002, 11:58 AM
I had to buy five #42 pilot jets because my dealer doesn't want to stock them. I have four extras. If anyone is interested in them, e-mail me @ rockosmith@msn.com

01-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Put my name on one. Email be back.
Rick

Rootbass@aol.com

250exen
01-07-2002, 04:03 PM
i dont know whats up with my fourwheeler but its gotta be 20-25 degrees and mine starts right up no choke. all i do is give it gas for bout 2-3 min and kick her in reverse and go. heack some times it only takes about one minute. better yet if i can let off the throtle long enough to kick her in reverse it can take me 30 seconds. oh by the was everthing is stock.

-tj-

Lil90man!!
01-07-2002, 07:51 PM
Hey you guys that is why i love bein able to start in gear!!! put it in reverse pull the clutch pump the gas 2-3 times hit the starter rev and away i go put it in gear and go and i am off and running no worrying about letting it warm up i just ride it gently to warm mine up!