PDA

View Full Version : 250EX Problems!

Fast250EX
06-09-2003, 02:48 PM
I went riding over the weekend with my 250EX and it ran excellent and I had a blast. I cleaned it all up and drove around for about 30 minutes and then got off of it to mow the yard. I got back on after I was done and shifted through the gears in my yard. I shifted down into third and did a tiny wheelie into a ditch and got out of it and let off and it acted like it was out of gas. I put it on reserve and started it back up and let a little fuel get to the carb and it still acted like it was about to go out of gas.

It idles like it does when you are warming it up a bit before riding but it stays at that sort of unsteady idle. I don't know what it is. The plug had black on its bottom so I took a wire brush and cleaned it off and put it back in and still nothing.

This happened all of a sudden too. Runs great one second and then it just won't even get off the line the next. After I cleaned the plug up a bit and put it back in. I attempted to start it a few times. It started but won't stay running past idle. If you try to rev it, it may get one decent rev in then it will die. The plug had a bit of oil and gas on it when I took it out so I know it is getting fuel.

Could the plug be bad? It is a 2001 and I bought it in October as a used one with only 10 miles on it. It still has the same plug on it and possibly the same one as when it was new.

Thanks for the help.

toby400ex
06-09-2003, 04:17 PM
check and make sure everything having to do with the oil filter is tight and connected to whatever its supposed to be connected too. If that doesnt fix it check all the electrical connections. If that hasnt solved it clean out the card, also make sure the choke isnt somehow on.:p

White_Knuckles
06-09-2003, 05:13 PM
You may be starved for fuel like a stuck float needle not allowing fuel to flow into the bowl properly. Loosen the float drain screw and watch the flow rate into a drip pan from the overflow hose. Try reserve and "on" fuel selections.

The other extreme would be an ultra-rich main circuit like the main jet vibrated loose and fell into the bowl - will idle but any throttle will flood the engine out.

Inspect the carb and fuel flow first, this doesn't sound like an ignition problem.

Fast250EX
06-10-2003, 03:52 AM
I was thinking the float may have been stuck. That happened once before.

Also, I changed the oil just the day before.

Thanks for the help.