PDA

View Full Version : Cam Install

Foxnake42
06-09-2003, 09:38 AM
I am doing a ****elood of stuff to my 400 including a cam. I have put cams in imports cars before but never a quad. Does anybody have step by step procedures and/or pictures? thanks:bandit:

06-09-2003, 10:39 AM
no pictures but heres the step i use

1. take the cam chain tensoner out of the back of the engine
2. pull the bearings out from both sides of the cam(note the sealed bearing goes on the cam chain side)
3. take the 2 bolts out of the cam chain sprocket !do not let them drop into the engine!
4. pull the cam chian sprocket out and zip tie the cam chain to frame so it does not drop
5. pop the cam out
6 repeat steps in reverse order
7. pour oil onto the cam, rocker arms etc before installing so it lubricated good, so things wont mes up before the oiul pump shoots oil up there

Red00Honda400EX
06-09-2003, 02:19 PM
Take the head cover bolts off in 3 stages using a criss cross pattern. and the same steps the other guy said.

Foxnake42
06-14-2003, 02:34 AM
OK, sounds simple enough. Can you recomend me one? I just want to do the hotcam stage 1 but heard a lot of bad things on the hotcam. I do a lot of recreation jumping, faster trails, and want to start moto-x soon. Oh yeah, and what kind of break-in does a cam have to go through? thanks

UglyMotha™
06-14-2003, 03:12 AM
don't worry about hot cams they got there **** together just make sure you get cam with the casted flange and you'll have no worries most cams you buy including the hotcams will come with instructions on how to break her in, me personally just got on her and rode her like any other time just don't beat on it no rev it out completly and no lugging it

Red00Honda400EX
06-14-2003, 04:53 AM
I had a hotcams stage 1 (one of the old ones) and it was fine after 100+ hours. It worked great and I really liked the power and how smooth it came on. For break in I believe they said either 2-3k RPMS for 15-20 minutes or 3-4k for 15-20 minutes. I just broke mine in on jack stands.