PDA

View Full Version : sparks pipe owners

cals400ex
06-09-2003, 07:37 AM
i have a 400ex and will be getting an x-6. do you all recommend ceramic or stainless? is one more durable or will one not rust ? any experience with this would be great. thanks

Diedrich
06-09-2003, 09:48 AM
ceramic would be better

06-09-2003, 10:14 AM
i own the ceramic

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i have a 400ex and will be getting an x-6. do you all recommend ceramic or stainless? is one more durable or will one not rust ? any experience with this would be great. thanks

cals400ex,

I have the X6. It's freeg'n awesome system. Anyway, I ordered stainless about a year ago and they shipped me a ceramic header and stainless silencer. Actually, the megaphone is the only thing stainless on the whole system. The silencer is aluminum, the mega is stainless, and the header is steel coated with ceramic. The thing is,.... I'm not sure if they make a FULL stainless system or if it is what I got. Maybe they just screwed me, but I love it and wouldn't trade the system for anything. The mega part you cant see behind the rear fender anyhow. The header looks great with ceramin coating, and the silencer is 1" bigger in diameter than most systems.

Hope this helps.

:)

Chad502EX.com

06-09-2003, 10:30 AM
how could they have screwed u when ceramic costs more lol :rolleyes:

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
how could they have screwed u when ceramic costs more lol :rolleyes:

cause I asked for stainless FULL when I bought it but they shipped me a coated header that rusts inside over time. stainless can be polished to mirror too!!

Chad502EX.com

06-09-2003, 10:38 AM
it doesnt rust THAT easy plus it takes more then jus a lil bit of time

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 10:42 AM
it doesnt rust THAT easy plus it takes more then jus a lil bit of time

whatever, have you ever own'd a steel header before?? In comparision it rusts alot faster than stainless. Don't you understand the meaning of stainless?

:mad:

Chad502EX.com

06-09-2003, 10:44 AM
LOL...stainless looks super stupid though

on z throttle
06-09-2003, 10:44 AM
I say ceramic coated, you won't regret it.:D

06-09-2003, 10:52 AM
tru tru

OutlawEX
06-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Diedrich
ceramic would be better

OutlawEX
06-09-2003, 11:00 AM
here ya go ceramic all the way

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex

cals,.... one more thing- a guy i know cooked the ceramic coating right off the header from running too lean on his 490ex. CS has no problem recoating the ceramic if you do cook it once or twice, but you'll have to remove and ship back to them and that process takes weeks. just to let ya know.

But I do think the ceramic is awesome if your careful. I haven't had this problem happen to me yet... :)

Chad502EX.com

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
here ya go ceramic all the way

looks sweet!

Chad502EX.com

Giz400ex
06-09-2003, 02:45 PM
how could they have screwed u when ceramic costs more lol :rolleyes: Ceramic (Going by C&D and Sparks) costs less than stainless!! Sparks website lists ceramic exhaust at $489 and stainless is $519:eek2:

06-09-2003, 02:46 PM
check out sparks site son cuz stainless is less

06-09-2003, 02:49 PM
o **** son ur right...last time i looked the stainless was less...o well ceramic still looks better and is a lot lighter :blah:

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 02:58 PM
o **** son ur right...last time i looked the stainless was less...o well ceramic still looks better

Xx,

one reason the stainless cost more is that it takes precise welding techniques and special equipment to work stainless, which cost more as opposed to bending steel pipe and apply coating. the tools to bend and weld steel is cheaper and easier to work with. I wish you could see the workmanship on the stainless welds on the megaphone, its freeg'n awesome. Question is: why would you think HONDA would sell the same material on their stock headers? answer is stainless is better than steel (coated). Bottom line is CS system rulez no matter if its steel or stainless. Anything he makes is awesome.

Chad502EX.com

Giz400ex
06-09-2003, 03:13 PM
o **** son ur right...last time i looked the stainless was less...o well ceramic still looks better and is a lot lighter :blah: You should always double check there........SON!!!:huh :D

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Giz400ex
You should always double check there........SON!!!:huh :D

^Hi-FIVE^

:macho

Chad502EX.com

were just funn'n....

06-09-2003, 04:03 PM
well i was right to a point because the last site i viewed it at the ss was cheaper then the ceramic...and the thing is ceramic is lighter so that is y i use it

and just because honda uses it doesnt mean its the best

cals400ex
06-09-2003, 07:57 PM
well now i am confused. i have talked to a few guys that had the ceramic and said it was junk. one person is already on his third ceramic pipe from sparks because it rusts in a matter of a month or two. i was recommended to never get the ceramic and just get the stainless. from what i have been told, the ceramic looks better when new but when its a year old, the stainless would look better. i am not sure what to think now. lol also, the stainless has been more expensive than the ceramic on the sparks site for at least the past year and a half. i was leading towards the stainless but who knows. so, are you saying that just the silencer is stainless and the header is the exact same with both pipes? thanks for the help

06-10-2003, 05:03 AM
a month LOL i have had my sparks pipe for 3 months now and i have had 0 problems at all with it

chad502ex
06-10-2003, 05:41 AM
a month LOL i have had my sparks pipe for 3 months now and i have had 0 problems at all with it

Xx, ty taking your header off and run your finger on the inside of the pipe, you'll get rust for sure. It' takes time before the rust biulds up from the inside to the outside, but the ceramic does rust. ss heaver than steel coated with ceramic, LMFAO!! Get a grip.

Chad502EX.com

06-10-2003, 05:50 AM
dude wtf if u didnt know that then ur an idiot

06-10-2003, 05:55 AM
and ok i will take it off tonight or tomorrow and c whats goin on in there but i doubt nething has happened

06-10-2003, 05:56 AM
Stainless sucks and when mud and dirt bake on there it's very hard to get off. I had my stainless header ceramic coated instide and out. No rusting there and all the elements from riding don't stick to it like all other header pipes. The crap sprays off with a garden hose. Go with ceramic it is by far the best thing for a header pipe..:macho

PS..you don't have to polish ceramic either if you keep it clean,,unlike stainless..

06-10-2003, 05:58 AM
thank you rico...do u think i should have any problems with my sparks rusting?

06-10-2003, 06:01 AM
thank you rico...do u think i should have any problems with my sparks rusting?

Nope,,,, keep it clean and places like jet-hot and HPcoatings sell products to clean and polish ceramic coated pipes so they look shiny at all times and they also protect them from rust..:D

06-10-2003, 06:04 AM
do those products clean the inside also and where can i buy it at cuz i never heard of either store....or do u have a site for them?

on z throttle
06-10-2003, 01:11 PM
:cuss: Just get the ceramic if want a low maintance, stainless if you enjoy polishing..... Either way with the Sparks system you can't go wrong.;)

chad502ex
06-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by on z throttle
:cuss: Just get the ceramic if want a low maintance, stainless if you enjoy polishing..... Either way with the Sparks system you can't go wrong.;)

for ppl who like their exhaust lookn awesome, why do you think stainless is alot of work to polish? It's so freegn' simple its not funny and you only have to polish about one a year to make chrome like finish. Anyway just get what you want- stainless or ceramic. I'm sure these ppl really don't care about what you get, they just enjoy debating with ppl and trying to piss ppl off. These ppl won't see it everyday like you will. Your the one who should be happy with what you have. Personally, I have both and enjoy the qualities of each. I just wanted you to realize both so you could make your own decision.

Good Luck!! Hope this helps.

Chad502EX.com

on z throttle
06-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
for ppl who like their exhaust lookn awesome, why do you think stainless is alot of work to polish? It's so freegn' simple its not funny and you only have to polish about one a year to make chrome like finish. Anyway just get what you want- stainless or ceramic. I'm sure these ppl really don't care about what you get, they just enjoy debating with ppl and trying to piss ppl off. These ppl won't see it everyday like you will. Your the one who should be happy with what you have. Personally, I have both and enjoy the qualities of each. I just wanted you to realize both so you could make your own decision.

Good Luck!! Hope this helpps.

Chad502EX.com Easy killer that is just my opinion. But I do agree, just get what floats your boat. It's whatever you like:D

chad502ex
06-10-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by on z throttle
Easy killer that is just my opinion. But I do agree, just get what floats your boat. It's whatever you like:D

I value your opinion and wasn't supressing any. Hope you or anyone else didn't think I was. I enjoy reading everyones thoughts on mod inprovement and experience whatnots.... ya know?

:cool:

Chad502EX.com

cals400ex
06-10-2003, 07:16 PM
i think i will just give them a call. i want the most durable material. for example, i don't want rusting. the polishing is not a problem. i have aluminum alloy wheels on my camaro and they need polished very often so the polishing is not a big deal. rusting is what i don't want. i don't know, they may both rust over time. the extra $30 spent or saved is not an issue. i appreciate your responses.