PDA

View Full Version : My first TT race

Razorback
06-09-2003, 05:08 AM
I attended and raced my first TT race this past weekend. It was the inaugural race at Bullet Speedway in Brashear, Texas. It is part of the points series with the Twin Creeks Raceway series (Twin Creeks is where a national TT will be this year in Greenbrier, Arkansas (http://www.twincreeksraceway.com/)).

All I can say is, holy crap, it's fast. There were two sets of races, oval and TT. The oval was very fun to watch. The speed was absolutely amazing, and there were some of the better racers in the country there. Keith Little was slated to attend, but couldn't make it. Pro purse was $1500, so that was some good incentive. Anyway, I was just amazed at how fast people were, around 90 mph on the straights.

I didn't do worth a darn in my races, but it was fun, although very different from MX. In my last moto of the evening, I witnessed the worst set of crashes I've ever seen. I was on the second line of the gate, and as the light turned green, we took off and immediately to my right, I saw a quad tumbling end over end. I moved past him and then all of the sudden, farther to my right, there were 4 quads flipping, and not just rolling over, doing flips in the air.

I kept going, along with a couple of other guys, and we got flagged down and had to go back to the gate. Then I saw the mess. There were about 6 piles of people and quads strown everywhere. In the end, one guy was hurt badly, with a severly broken collar bone and broken ribs around the chest area (quad landed on him). Another guy had a separated shoulder, another got stuck between the quad and the fence, broke the fence post and the wire cut his ear. The others were just shaken up and bruised.

It was absolutely frightening. It probably would not have affected me as much had I not been in the race where it happened, and seen it all unfolding. After seeing all of this, I'm seriously reconsidering my racing career.

Anyway, it was a fun night other than the wrecks, but it was really different than MX. It takes a totally different skillset. I gained a lot of respect for TT racers.

Bean
06-09-2003, 05:17 AM
the track is like concrete towards the end of the night, it dont give, lol

TT tires grip, especially when warm, so never never try and bump your opponent out of the way, youl be flippin

Razorback
06-09-2003, 05:31 AM
You're exactly right. That track got very hard and tacky. According to the TT guys, it was in great race shape. I heard from some of the other guys involved in the crash that one guy got a little sideways, and that caused a snowball effect of people hitting other people and pushing everyone to either side, which caused people to hit other people and fences.

TheRedRebel17
06-09-2003, 05:32 AM
I knew about the nationional at twin creeks, but when is it?
How is the track, never been before, but i might go. How do you get there from arkansas?

Razorback
06-09-2003, 05:45 AM
The national at Twin Creeks is on August 30th. Greenbrier is easy to get to, it's on highway 65, north of Conway, so in most cases, take I-40 to Conway, then north on 65, and you'll run right into it.

I haven't been to that track yet, but I hear it's really nice. It obviously is a good track, since they got a bid for a national.

400exTN
06-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Razorback,

Do you know who on the pro class?

Razorback
06-09-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by 400exTN
Razorback,

Do you know who on the pro class?

No, I don't remember. I really only knew a couple of the racers in the pro class, and I missed the second moto. When I find out, I'll post it.

Diedrich
06-09-2003, 10:11 AM
yeah its really fun..i raced TT and oval before i flipped my quad and i plan to race more when i get it back together..it was probably one of the funnest things i have ever done

Buzzsaw
06-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Jathan Seale Won the 250 and the Open and Brad Covington won the 4 stroke Pro-Am

Bean
06-10-2003, 05:00 AM
its deffinitly fun, and its not as easy as some people crack it up to be, touchin tires and bumpin like in MX wont get you anywhere but run over, and you have to know how to take corners without spinnin out, which is tough with TT tires on a dusty track, as it sometimes is, its all about rider skill as well. dont get scared of TT, if your head is on right, youl love it, just dont touch tires, and youl be good, and NEVER slam on the brakes if you dont have to, go around someone, if you slam the brakes, you will get nailed from behind, lol

flattracker
06-12-2003, 03:38 AM
Sounds like Krotky put on a good show, sorry that us guys in waco had to miss it. how big was the turn out am's and pro's. got any pics? we'll be there for the next race, waco half mile and TT are not run for the next three months so we're just sitting around with no place to race. :(

lilmxe#43
06-12-2003, 03:48 AM
wut size tires do yall run? i gotta attend the bonus race for tqra, but just gunna get tires cuz dont hav the $$ for sway bar.so im junst gunna get sum kawn mower tires :) only for one race, or barow sum 1s tires

Razorback
06-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by flattracker
Sounds like Krotky put on a good show, sorry that us guys in waco had to miss it. how big was the turn out am's and pro's. got any pics? we'll be there for the next race, waco half mile and TT are not run for the next three months so we're just sitting around with no place to race. :(

Yeah, the turnout was incredible. There were certainly things that could be improved, but for a first race, it went off great, and the track was in fantastic condition. I only hit one slick spot and over-slid, but that was mostly my fault.

Razorback
06-12-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by lilmxe#43
wut size tires do yall run? i gotta attend the bonus race for tqra, but just gunna get tires cuz dont hav the $$ for sway bar.so im junst gunna get sum kawn mower tires :) only for one race, or barow sum 1s tires

You are required to have flattrack-type tires on the rear. I think Mark is OK with running knobby tires up front, though. Most everyone has 18" rears with varying widths.

Buzzsaw
06-12-2003, 04:09 PM
There were 210 rides at the first race hope to see more at the next race Aug. 26.

Rider#11
06-12-2003, 04:48 PM
wait till you begining TT riders hit a day race..lol itl be slick.. have fun:devil: its alot funner but harder also..remember if the track is real slick either raise your bike or go narrower in the rear with your axel spacers;)

MX26
10-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Scott,

Glad to see you're still ridin! I heard about the race on the radio the day before and had already agreed to help a dude out saturday night.... Sounds awesome!