View Full Version : Meet DOIBUGU2 at the MOOSE RUN

mbiigambler
06-08-2003, 03:19 PM
Before the race!

06-09-2003, 01:56 AM
If you say so :confused2

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 03:16 AM
My first GNCC type race. It was part of the WORCS series.

The goods news is I got to meet another Exrider. Mbiigambler, Gus, is on a lot, he just doesn’t post much. He is a nice guy and a pretty damn good rider. I was also able to finish a 2 hr race without any major catastrophe, which is an accomplishment unto itself.

The bad news, don’t run a race with worn down brake pads. Believe it or not you use them a lot in a 2 hour race. Also get into shape if you think your going to do halfway decent.

What I learned:
My $1300+ Elka suspension is worth every penny. I don’t think I would have been able to finish without it.
A stock motor and a slip is pretty fast for us C class riders. I was able to pull on most every guy in the wide open sections. I know I was faster than some of the Z’s.
GNCC type racing is at least 50% endurance. If you can’t last, you can’t hang.
Man, will you be sore the next morning.

Gus did very well, he ran the 30+ class and got 10th out of 16. He also did 5 laps to my 4. I finished my 4 laps about 5 minutes before he finished his 5th. So that shows you how fast he was or how slow I am.

But enough about him. I ran the C class which I guess had 21 people in it. Since this is probably going to be long, I will let you know I got 18th, for those that don’t want to read about the details. My top speed according to my trail tech was 57mph and my avg. speed was a blistering 15mph. I really thought I was going about 5mph most of the time.

The start: We were all lined up and I was 2nd from the far right. The way the course was setup everyone had to funnel into a 1 lane left hand turn. Believe it or not off the start I was somewhere around 6th place off the hole-shot. Not bad considering all I have is HMF slip on and I started to the extreme right. The first couple minutes of the first lap is all 1 lane traffic and then it opens up to some peat moss type stuff which is really soft. Once I got my arse on the back of the quad I had that SOB full throttle. Because it was so soft, all I could get was 3rd or 4th gear. This stuff has 2 turns, then its off into the woods. I was able to keep up with the guys in front of me no problem, the woods were real tight so there was no passing. But midway through the 1st section of woods the guy in front of me just all of a sudden flips. So I was happy I moved up a place.

So we come out of the woods and there is a wide open section. I took it relatively slow, to slow to be exact, because I got passed. That was the only time in the race that I actually got passed by someone in my class. The rest of the time, I let them pass because I was just too tired. After the open section you go into another section of woods that is all off camber. Basically you sit on the left side of you quad and hope you don’t roll over. I was still doing pretty well at this point, but this is where it went down hill. You come out of this section and move into another wide open section then back into the woods. Another short woods section then back to a wide open section.

This is where it goes bad. Coming out of the woods I was still pretty close to the guy that passed me earlier. We come to a wide open section then a short little hill climb. Well somewhere on this part of the trail I hit something. Had to be a root or a tree stump and it almost threw me over the bars. I recovered and kept on going. 2 secs later I thought I smelled gas and I was getting wet. For some dumb reason I thought I lost the gas lid. I looked down and saw it was okay. So I kept on going. Then my legs were getting cold. I grabbed my camelback and realized the bite valve came off. I almost started to cry watching all the water flow over my quad. By this time I was exhausted and didn’t know what I was going to do without water for the rest of the race. Oh, by the way, I am extremely out of shape. And this is about 15 minutes into the race.

So I stayed in that position for almost the entire first lap. There were a bunch more sections before the finish line, but I’m not going to bore you with those details.

Once the 2nd lap started I was physically spent. I was basically holding on and trying to steer. Those stupid steering stabilizers get harder to turn the longer the race goes. So this lap I did okay, started to let people by because I was going so slow. I also got hung up on tree and had to let some more people by.

3rd lap my dumb arse chose the wrong line in the off camber section I talked about earlier and got hung up on a root. I think that took me about 10 minutes to get out of. I was so tired I could barely move my quad around. A bunch of people passed me here, and there was barely enough room for 2 quads.

I pull into the check point and was checking my trailtech speedo trying to figure out what time it was and what time I started. I was hoping that was the last lap. Well when they waved me through I sucked it up and headed out for another.

It took all my will to stay and finish. The 4th lap actually seemed like one of my fastest. I don’t know why. But I sure did have a ton of guys pass me. Just goes to show how much endurance those guys have.

My Novel
Doug

cdalejef
06-09-2003, 04:27 AM
Who won the overall?

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 05:57 AM
Sorry Jeff, don't know. Doesn't look like its posted on there website eaither.:confused:

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 07:24 AM
Before race pic. Man do I need to loose some weight.

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 07:25 AM
After race. Do I look any lighter? By the way, I'm the one in the shift gear. Gus is the other guy (user mbiigambler)

mbiigambler
06-09-2003, 08:12 AM
Won the pro class, not sure of first name, I believe we was from the St. Louis area.

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 08:17 AM
few more pics. Slowly going over the jump. The MX track is right at the finish line. By the time I got here, I wanted to quit.

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 08:17 AM
I kinda know what I'm doing on this corner.

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 08:18 AM
Gus motoring! That's him on the start on the top right corner.

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 08:20 AM
I don't think I did very well because it was so clean. I've never been this clean after a day of riding.

More of Gus, showing his stuff.

06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Now you have no excuses for not hangin with the HM freight train...:devil:

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 12:08 PM
1 race won't get my fat arse into shape, but as long as you stop every 20 minutes I should be able to hang for awhile.

LapTraffic
06-09-2003, 01:42 PM
Nice post and congrats on the race.

I started training three months before the washougal worcs race and ended up losing 17 pounds and picking up some serious endurance.

It was a nice distraction and something to focus on. I hate gyms and have never actually worked out before.

It all depends on what you want to accomplish, once you focus on something obtaining it is almost second nature.

Doibugu2
06-09-2003, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the kind reply.

Actually I have lost 20 lbs since the new year. Those were the easy twenty. Now I got to lose the hard twenty where I actually have to work out to drop them.

adam250r
06-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Rob Zimmerman won the overall. He also races GNCC I think in one of the B classes!! He has improved tremendously since the beginning of the year. We had 18 Pros at $50 bucks a head with 100% payback so you do the math. Pretty good pot, paid back to 5th. I broke my axle and got hauled back in the bucket of backhoe! Right through the middle of the pits. Pics to come!! This was a seriously rough and demanding track. Only a few of the national tracks are more tiring. So doibugu2, it only gets easier!! Good to meet you Gus!

mbiigambler
06-10-2003, 01:55 AM
It was cool meeting Adam250r and his posse. All real nice people. Adam get those pictures up soon! Who finished 2nd? What type of machines were they driving?

TheChknhwk
06-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Great job man, I have been wanting to do this for a long time. I got my TCS coming soon, sent the rear in yesterday from MI & it's already in Wyoming, so it should be there tomorrow. I also thought it would be a waste of time trying this w/out shocks. I am gonna go for a D-14 hare scramble here pretty soon. I just started hittin the nordic track to tone up for my honeymoon. Does anyone else use them to train??

adam250r
06-10-2003, 03:05 AM
2nd and 3rd went to two Missouri boys, Todd Senger and Jeff Range, on a 400ex and Z respectively. Todd broke off a nerf bar and footpeg and pitted to replace the peg, Jeff broke down also. None of the MO boys had very good luck!!

Doibugu2
06-10-2003, 03:38 AM
Adam, Gus said that was your orange quad in the long straitaway. I say you standing off to the side, on my last lap. Thats sucks man. I guess there is an advantage to going slow, you don't break anything.:p

How did your axle break?

adam250r
06-10-2003, 04:44 AM
Yep, that was me! Too much stress for a stock axle! Beating them whoops and the jumping..... I am glad it was there rather than one of those 6th gear straights though!!

Doibugu2
06-10-2003, 04:50 AM
How fast were you going through that section? I sometimes could really get moving. I was shifting between 3rd and 4th.

That section was one of my favorites. Going 30+ and all of a sudden the quad get all squirlly

mbiigambler
06-10-2003, 04:59 AM
Gotta love them whoops, if I don't see another whoop for a long it wouldn't bother me a bit! I wonder how much of the course was whoops?

Adam - you got that 250r fixed yet? When's your next race? How long have you been doing this?

adam250r
06-10-2003, 07:11 AM
This is my 3rd year racing. I wont be fixing that bike for awhile. It is my practice bike. My LRD frame broke like everyone elses so I will be trying to get it fixed before the 29th for the next race in St Louie. I will be using my Lonestar axle from here out!!

Bugger, which whoop you talkin bout Willis? MX whoops 4th, the deep ones in the weeds 3rd, the open sections 6th.

mbiigambler
06-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Adam,
What place were you in before the broken axle? Did you figure out if the pay out was 100% of the entry fees?

adam250r
06-11-2003, 06:00 AM
2nd place. No I just warned the others to watch out since I didnt win any dough myself.

Doibugu2
06-11-2003, 08:50 AM
Adam you were doing 3rd in the weeds? By the third lap I think I was doing about 5mph through those dumb things. I hated the weeds. That was the worst fricking section.

2nd place, man that really sucks you broke down. I guess you can say you were riding the ****e off your quad, litereally.

adam250r
06-12-2003, 03:31 AM
I was too scared to move my body shift down!!

mbiigambler
06-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Adam,
Was Zimmerman leading the whole race or did he just keep moving up as people's bikes broke. Do you know what his time was?

adam250r
06-14-2003, 10:03 AM
No, he passed me on the mx track right before my pit stop and moved into 2nd. Then the leader broke his nerf and he took the lead.