PDA

View Full Version : shock problems

Nausty
06-08-2003, 02:50 PM
Anyone else don't feel comfortable on their elkas? Mine feel really spongy sometimes and just don't seem to be valved or adjusted right. I jump all the time over shooting landings and come up short and my shocks never bottem but in other areas where the shocks slowly compress they bottem out with ease. Its really weird and I can never really predict what they are gonna do. Anyone else have this problem? ITs like I can hit a jump 3rd gear pinned and just bottem it hard on the face and then flat land it and pry only use up half of the travel.:confused: Its really getting on my nerves and hurting my confidence.:ermm:

sylvan56473
06-09-2003, 04:29 AM
Do you have compressions adjustable shocks? If so, you might want to try to crank up the compression to help fix your problem.

Pappy
06-09-2003, 04:38 AM
try landing on the down ramp...its alot easier on you and parts:p

Nausty
06-09-2003, 04:57 AM
lol, yeah I can adjust the compression but thats not the problem. Its almost too stiff as it is, mushy almost. But a lot of the ramps I hit are to flat land or I can't ever get enough speed to clear the ramps. I mess around with the compression the next time I ride but like I said its already plenty stiff for the jumps and I never get to use all the the travel thats there.

trx400ex
06-09-2003, 05:01 AM
time for some axis:devil:

sylvan56473
06-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Do all of the shocks bottom out or just the fronts and are they SSD?

AFTERMARKET
06-09-2003, 07:30 AM
Time for some PEP :devil:

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-09-2003, 07:42 AM
Time for some Works :devil:

:huh

Nausty
06-09-2003, 08:07 AM
its just the fronts that don't seem to be valved right. I'm getting a job this summer and hopefully i'll be able to get a gibson front end with elka quad rates or i'll just sell all the elkas and get a differant brand.

sylvan56473
06-09-2003, 08:29 AM
I guess that would be the easy way, to just replace everything. Did you buy the ELKA'a new or used?

06-09-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by AFTERMARKET
Time for some PEP :devil:

:devil: :devil: :devil:

06-09-2003, 02:52 PM
Time for some PEP :devil: OH YEAH!!;)

Nausty
06-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sylvan56473
I guess that would be the easy way, to just replace everything. Did you buy the ELKA'a new or used?

new :(

It sucks, I definitely don't wanna go with elka on the front end so I don't know what i'm gonna do about shocks. I dunno if I should just stay with my elkas and get +2 a-arms or work all summer and some more and replace all the shocks.

Elka=POS

I swear:
elka stock rear shock revalve performance sucked
blew seals TWICE
valving sucks on fronts
set screw came out of rear shock doing damage to rear shock

grrrr you should not have these problems with the amount of money you pay for these shocks.

Now i'm gonna work my arse off all summer just because I wanted to save a lil money going with elka.:mad: :grr:

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-09-2003, 02:57 PM
If your that disappointed, sell them on eBay or something and buy different ones, maybe TCS or Axis (short wait).

Nausty
06-09-2003, 02:58 PM
yeah I probably will when I get more money:o I'm thinking tcs/gibson front end. But its gonna suck paying for a new rear to match the tcs fronts. When I sell em' i'll pry only take about a 100 loss on the rear and maybe 150 or so on the front right?:confused: What do they go for?

AFTERMARKET
06-09-2003, 03:05 PM
That sucks Nausty What did you pay for thoes Elka's?

AFTERMARKET
06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Time for some Works :devil:

:huh
HAHAHA You crack me up!

anywhereEx
06-09-2003, 03:06 PM
On ebay they usually sell pretty high. Usually $600+ without a problem.

Nausty
06-09-2003, 03:10 PM
That sucks Nausty What did you pay for thoes Elka's?

750 or so for fronts

330 for rear rebuild

550 for new rear shock

ouch, I got ripped. I can't wait to sell these babies. It will pry be a while tell I sell them though.

AFTERMARKET
06-09-2003, 03:15 PM
Ouch. :(

Could of had a new set of PEP ZPS for that

06-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
try landing on the down ramp...its alot easier on you and parts:p ...yeah no body ever jumps a lil too far
:rolleyes:

Pappy
06-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
...yeah no body ever jumps a lil too far
:rolleyes:

it was a joke too him...he gets it sorry you didnt:o

06-09-2003, 03:30 PM
OH well :D

06-09-2003, 03:32 PM
Sounds like they weren't setup properly for you and your riding style from the get go. I don't see how it's elka's fault that the shocks are not working properly if you give them all the specs of your riding style, weight, etc, etc, etc.. Maybe you give them wrong info..?:confused:

Dirt
06-09-2003, 04:09 PM
How many times have you called and talked to Yann at Elka for help? If you haven't you may want to try that and explain your problems. I'm sure that he would try and correct the situatin.

Pappy
06-09-2003, 04:15 PM
you mean actually call a company and complain:confused: gosh...maybe they would work with ya and fix the probelms:ermm:

06-09-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dirt
How many times have you called and talked to Yann at Elka for help? If you haven't you may want to try that and explain your problems. I'm sure that he would try and correct the situatin.

Why in the hell would ya do that:confused:

I'd rather label it a POS and buy something else...:devil:

toby400ex
06-09-2003, 04:22 PM
I wonder if honda will replace my crappy worthless front shocks, and my a-arm bushings are shot. WTF

06-11-2003, 02:40 PM
I think all these shock threads should be dropped because we know what everyone loves and prefers and there is no changing some peoples minds on these threads. :confused2

Originally posted by Rico
Sounds like they weren't setup properly for you and your riding style from the get go. I don't see how it's elka's fault that the shocks are not working properly if you give them all the specs of your riding style, weight, etc, etc, etc.. Maybe you give them wrong info..?:confused:

RICO i know you love your elkas but come on. Your gunna tell me its not elkas fault? They were the ones who valved the shocks, right? So if they dont work properly that would make it there fault and noone elses! You think its Naustys fault? I think the kid could figure out what bike he is riding and how much he weighs. They dont give you an intense questionare to get your shocks done. I dont know what elka asks but when i ordered my shocks they were pretty simple questions and if you are not able to answer them accurately you should not be operating a motor vehicle. I sure know what my bike is, what a arms i have, my length swingarm, tire size, etc etc and to be experiencing the problems nausty is having such as bottoming on lips of jumps and not even using half the travel on landings is rediculous. And your gunna tell me its not elkas fault, get real :rolleyes: Im done with these shock threads. I usually dont reply for this reason but enough is enough. :ermm:

deepcj7
06-11-2003, 05:30 PM
I'm with QUAD!!

Nausty
06-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by deepcj7
I'm with QUAD!!

I hear that. I wish I didn't even make this thread.:o I just wanted to vent because of all the problems we've been having and how the performance sucks. I've had to send back and fourth my rear shock 3 times to then get a new rear shock and have even more problems. THe last thing I wanna do is send em' back again when I wanna sell em' and get long travel anyways with my money.

Oh well, at least other people thinking about getting shocks know they arn't the perfect shock everyone makes it out to be.