PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to North bend/Coos Bay dunes for 4th of july weekend?

GETSOME
06-08-2003, 11:56 AM
I've got reservations for sand camping at Horsefall near the end of bark road. I can't friking believe the new rules and regs for the Oregon dunes this year.

Forest Service = Forest Circus

Anyway, is anyone else going?

Narly R
06-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Well I just got back from horsefalls today and it was fun but beware of the forest service!!! They make shure u pay and my friend got a noise ticket! But it was fun!!!!!!!!!!!:D But I dont think well go over there for the 4th but we are going for sandfest just to watch! I heard they have sand mx so I would like to get into that!!!!!!! But well see!

New-400ex_guy
06-08-2003, 01:09 PM
ill be out of course....yeah the reservation thing is pretty dumb. there should not be a limit of people...thought this was a free country but i guess not in the dunes it isnt. :rolleyes:

Narly R
06-08-2003, 05:45 PM
We should fight this stupid rule I dont know how we would cause Im only 14 but Im shure we could atleast do sumthin!? But nobody is going to do that!:rolleyes: :ermm:

out4sand
06-11-2003, 11:16 AM
I'll be there with a few riding buddies. We are going to be camping in the Horsfalls campground. Last year was a BLAST!!

6t8amxetc
06-11-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey, what is the noise limit on the bikes for the dunes? I'll be going to horsefall later, around July 19th. I just put on my T-4 slip-on. It is pretty loud.
Narly R, what was your friends bike and pipe set up?
Thanks...Ty

Narly R
06-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Um he had a rm 125 with a fmf pipe (not shure what kind) and a fmf shorty scilencer! But they held his throttle wide open he said when they checked it!:ermm:

out4sand
06-12-2003, 03:32 AM
They are suppose to put an RPM deal on your throttle and then run it to something like a 3rd of the max OEM RPM, not wide open. The limit is 92DB at Coos Bay, Winchester, & Florence

twisted threads
06-12-2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by out4sand
They are suppose to put an RPM deal on your throttle and then run it to something like a 3rd of the max OEM RPM, not wide open. The limit is 92DB at Coos Bay, Winchester, & Florence
lol, the funny thing is at 92db there is barely no one that will pass. There are lots of 4 strokes out there that are really loud but I never see the Rangers go after them.

out4sand
06-15-2003, 07:15 AM
lol, the funny thing is at 92db there is barely no one that will pass. There are lots of 4 strokes out there that are really loud but I never see the Rangers go after them.

I bet if I could test my Honda lawn mower it wouldn't pass sound check :rolleyes:

CHAUNCY
06-15-2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by out4sand
I bet if I could test my Honda lawn mower it wouldn't pass sound check :rolleyes:

LMAO:p

Matt Fisher
06-15-2003, 09:56 AM
It's 93 db according to this site: http://www.oohva.org/
That makes it officially GAY.

There's a link on that site to see where you'll likely end up, db wise.

Oh well. I'll be heading up there on July 17-20th. If the sound Nazi's get overzealous then we'll head down to John's Peak; just swap the paddles for knobbies. Anyone been there before?

John's Peak: http://atv.prd.state.or.us/site_detail.php?UID=16

Getsome- post your results in this thread when you get back, I'd like to hear how it went.

Greenz
06-16-2003, 04:46 AM
My group is going to Winchester or Florence this week and the 4th.

What are you talking about - "reservations for sand camping"??!!
Is it only for a certain area? I'v never got reservations to camp in the sand?

We were at Winchester Bay Mem weekend - they were handing out tickests faster than I could get away. My 400 has and LRD pipe which is really loud. Every time I saw the pickups come near, I had to race away. I never got a ticket but I saw many given. One of the people in the RV next to mine got a ticket for having beer in his cooler.

They were checking just as many 4 stokes as 2. In fact the 4 strokes get more tickets because they are louder. I did see a couple of Banshees w/o mufflers get tickets.

GETSOME
06-16-2003, 06:35 AM
The permit for sand camping is no joke, seriously. For the holiday weekends you must call the Oregon Dunes National recreation center in Reedsport ahead of time to have permits mailed to you. No permits are required for the off weekends.

Winchester Bay does not require permits. On memorial day weekend none of my buddies had permits for Coos Bay or Florence so we had to go to Winchester Bay

Got to the forest circus' web site and check it out

Its just as gay as I describe it:ermm:

FlyinRed
06-18-2003, 09:06 AM
Yeah but Out4Sands lawnmower has a 250r motor with cpi drag pipes....

Bretmd94
06-18-2003, 11:18 AM
I will be in the Saunders Lake area.

And yes the 93 decible limit is rediculous.

If you have aftermarket exhaust you wont pass. Its dumb. I doubt a stock crf450 will pass. Hopefully if will be changed soon. The alcohol law is rediculous too. They could have gone at it different ways. My freind was pulled off his quad by a ranger (litterally) after he put his cell phone in his pocket. The ranger thought it was a beer can. The Rangers were definatly being A**h***s about it too.

Matt Fisher:

your gonna go to johns peak? I might do it this weekend on my kx125. Thats if i decide not to go to the track. I dont like Johns peak much on my quad, most trails are 2 wheel biased.

ridesa02400EX
06-23-2003, 09:24 AM
ive got some friends going to winchester over the fourth i might be tagging along

Matt Fisher
06-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Where's Saunders Lake?

Anybody that yanks me off my quad will get his butt kicked. And if Ranger Dick wants to push the issue, I'd have my lawyer crawl so far up his butt there'd be a report on the condition of his colon. Crap like that needs to stop (pun intended).

Are the John's Peak trails impassable on quads, or just a little tight? Any good hills?

Originally posted by Bretmd94
I will be in the Saunders Lake area.

And yes the 93 decible limit is rediculous.

If you have aftermarket exhaust you wont pass. Its dumb. I doubt a stock crf450 will pass. Hopefully if will be changed soon. The alcohol law is rediculous too. They could have gone at it different ways. My freind was pulled off his quad by a ranger (litterally) after he put his cell phone in his pocket. The ranger thought it was a beer can. The Rangers were definatly being A**h***s about it too.

Matt Fisher:

your gonna go to johns peak? I might do it this weekend on my kx125. Thats if i decide not to go to the track. I dont like Johns peak much on my quad, most trails are 2 wheel biased.

Bretmd94
06-24-2003, 03:55 AM
oh they arent impossible, but most are tight, and have ruts.... well not ruts, but ravines. Seriously, ruts that are 3 feet deep. I was riding on my rims on both sides of it. it was intense.

doitinthesand
09-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Does anyone have the website to make reservations at Horsfalls in North Bend. I understand there is one website to cover all USDA Forest Service Parks. Planning a trip this weekend and haven't been to Horsfalls for a long time. Would like to make reservations ahead of time.

JOEX
09-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by doitinthesand
Does anyone have the website to make reservations at Horsfalls in North Bend. I understand there is one website to cover all USDA Forest Service Parks. Planning a trip this weekend and haven't been to Horsfalls for a long time. Would like to make reservations ahead of time.

www.reserveusa.com

I was at Horsfall last weekend:cool:

doitinthesand
10-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Thank you so much for the reply. I can't believe what they are charging to stay at the USDA Forest Parks these days. $20 a night for dry camping?

I went with a group of 20 to Horsfalls. Cascade Innovations knows of them. There are 3 Kevins. My neighbor has ridden with them for quite a while. He invited me along. FIrst time I have been with them. They rented 4 spaces, but I stayed elsewhere at night. Couldn't see paying that much for a little pavement with lines:rolleyes:

Had a great time!:D

We are members of the Odd Fellows and they have a campground in Florence called Jesse T. Jones Campground that charges $14 (just raised it from $12)a night for members with full hookups and dune access. If you are NOT a member I think it is $20 a night with full hookups, and I think you have to know a member to get in.

We joined in 1989 and at that time it was $4 a night with full hookups. And also because we were afraid the day would come when there wouldn't be dune access or a place to camp without costing you an arm and a leg. We were right.

I am going to Winchester this weekend to ride with another group of 12-20 riders. They have a group name now but I can't remember what it is. I have always called them the Fast 20. They are FAST! They never slow down from the time they fill their tank until it is empty. They don't like to go on holidays or when there are a lot of people there to get in their way. So they usually go around the 1st or 2nd weekend of October and November. Mike Gottfried is the "Leader" of the group and he is the leader of the rides. I following in 2nd place most of the time..

Thanks again,
Don

Dan_Guetter
10-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Oregon dunes are pretty cool....

For jumping, i think winchester takes glamis in that catagory!

We had a fun time...even though i had the worse riding experience ever...lol

Dan

schootar
11-01-2005, 05:10 PM
Winchester is the chit.