PDA

View Full Version : Why cut your fenders??

GETSOME
06-08-2003, 06:30 AM
Every guy and his dog does it - triming your fenders for that dune quad look or something. Why? If your on some other surface than sand such as...well mudd, then your flinging twice as much mudd at your helmet as you would be without those trimmed fenders. Hell, I'm even getting a Prairie 650 4x4 this summer just so I can have a bike with some fender protection to ride in the Oregon winter mudd without covering myself in goo. It just doesn't make any sense. We make about 7 trips to the dunes per year, but that still equates to 98% dirt/mudd riding conditions, 2% sand riding conditions. WHY do people trim their fenders!!? Make me a believer.

Someone take a stab at this!!

Give me three good reasons to trim you fenders.

DO NOT include "increased aerodynamics" unless you have a quad that does over 95mph

JUSTINcredible
06-08-2003, 06:38 AM
racers and hill climbers do it so they can see right where thier wheels are going and the other people that do it im not sure why?? maybe cuz they want to look like they race or maybe they just like the looks?:confused:

this is my blaster that I race with my shaved fenders

Chanman420q
06-08-2003, 07:03 AM
1. Looks 2. So u can see the wheels 3. so when u jump the wind doesnt push ur front end down.

GETSOME
06-08-2003, 07:08 AM
OK, these are some pretty good reasons to trim your fenders. So everyone who is not a serious racer or hillclimber just does it for the heck of it. If you only own one quad and you live in a state like Oregon where it rains 9 months out of the year, you get mudd thrown in your face most of time.

Chanman420q
06-08-2003, 07:11 AM
im a trail rider and im still concidering cutting my fendors....... i still get muddy and wet

Glow Plug
06-08-2003, 07:16 AM
1. looks 2. so you can spot your landing easier 3. Because they want to. 4. If you have cut your fenders and know your gonig to get wet then why not stay out of the mud?

skemp
06-08-2003, 07:58 AM
If I ever rode in mud, I wouldn't have cut my fenders, but my quad doesn't see very much mud if it doesn't have to. It gives you a much better sense of where you are in turns, helps while jumping, and like in my case, is a good way to make a cracked fender look OK again. :D

crazycasey
06-08-2003, 08:15 AM
400ex's have crappy front fenders anyway...they dont offer very much protection the way thay are so might as well cut em

DEAL
06-08-2003, 08:36 AM
I do mine for jumping and because I like being able to see my front wheels.

OutlawEX
06-08-2003, 08:39 AM
I personally think it looks better.. Looks more sporty

Ryan
06-08-2003, 08:41 AM
I've never bothered since I do alot of trail riding, mud, and whatever else comes in my way.

GETSOME
06-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by skemp
If I ever rode in mud, I wouldn't have cut my fenders, but my quad doesn't see very much mud if it doesn't have to. It gives you a much better sense of where you are in turns, helps while jumping, and like in my case, is a good way to make a cracked fender look OK again. :D

10-4 Well said. If money was no object I think everyone would have a top of the line utility quad like the Prairie 650 or the Rincon 650 for the winter and mudd protection.

I am fulfilling this fantasy mid summer with a new Prairie 650. VROOM VROOM!:p

kxrider
06-08-2003, 09:01 AM
becuase when u race, other quads sometimes go up on your tires and it will brreak them off anyways, and they look better clean cut then broken

400exrules
06-08-2003, 09:30 AM
some ppl say they can see better with cut fenders when riding wheelies

EvilJester400EX
06-08-2003, 09:35 AM
1. I think it looks better.
2. So I could see where my wheels were going when I'm racing.
3. I cracked my right fender mount, lol.

Bretmd94
06-08-2003, 10:04 AM
I heard that once you get extended A-arms the fenders are pretty pointless. You will get mud in your face either way.

I will probably shave my fenders seeing as i plan to get into racing and becides that 99% of my riding is in the dunes. Its so much more fun than dirt.

I guess its for the people that it works better with. If you are on the west coast you shoudl take advantage of the dunes. East coast people dont know what they are missing. I almost dont even think i would own a quad on the east coast. Not much point to it, theres no where to ride from what i hear. There is about 10 times more races for quads though. Like GNCC etc. I so wish i could race one of those.

GETSOME
06-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
I heard that once you get extended A-arms the fenders are pretty pointless. You will get mud in your face either way.

I see your a fellow Oregonian. How close do you live to Coos bay? Were in Philomath and it takes us about 2.5 hours to ge there. I'll be camped at the end of bark road for 4th of July with my crazy logger buddies.

Narly R
06-08-2003, 01:36 PM
Well i got fullbore plastics race cut cause I LOVE the looks and I wanted too! I can stay out of the mudd well enough in oregon!

And if your not gettin muddy your not riddin!!!!!!!;)

zzbudzz
06-08-2003, 01:52 PM
[list=1]
cause i want too!
cause i want too!
cause i want too!
[/list=1]

wb300ex
06-08-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
I personally think it looks better.. Looks more sporty

true they do cowesbitpeople has his cut and his look a lot better ask him y he did it.... i don't know but it looks cooler

Bean
06-08-2003, 03:18 PM
it looks better, 100% of quads with trimmed fenders do not go mudding, (unless rider makes serious mistakes or buys it like that and intends to change it), in racing, they get broken right quick anyway, back ones do to, lol

crazybuffalo
06-08-2003, 03:30 PM
because it looks alot better and since it kills what little air resistance it put on them during jumps

toby400ex
06-08-2003, 04:05 PM
cuz fenders are for pussies :blah:

Bretmd94
06-08-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by GETSOME
I see your a fellow Oregonian. How close do you live to Coos bay? Were in Philomath and it takes us about 2.5 hours to ge there. I'll be camped at the end of bark road for 4th of July with my crazy logger buddies.

My parents actually have a small mobile home on Saunders Lake. I have no idea where Bark road is though. We will be there, i have drunk logger freinds also but this will probably be a parents type trip. That and my drunk logger freinds are p**** whipped.

06-09-2003, 01:55 AM
well i decided NOT to put my cut fenders on mine this weekend for goin to the MX track. Well now both front fender mounts are broke and shot to hell...:mad:

Full fenders and jumping = lots of front fender replacements...:ermm:

bansheeguy77
06-09-2003, 03:32 AM
riding with a sport quad in mud u will get muddy anyway...cut fenders looks a hell of a lot better. the main reason i did it is so i can see where im going...u feel more in control...and what rico said.

wilkin250r
06-09-2003, 04:38 AM
Fenders get broken in races, especially front fenders, so most race quads have shaved front fenders. That creates a "look" that many other people try to duplicate. Along the same line are stickers, many people put them on their quads because it gives it the "look" of a race quad with sponser stickers.

I have shaved fenders on my quad, but I'm in Nevada. There ain't much rain out here, so I ain't too worried about getting muddy.

airheadedduner
06-09-2003, 05:03 AM
Looks mostly. But I ride almost strictly sand. I did break a set jumping, and jumping is what I do most of the time. Its also nice to be able to see your tires sometimes. I also trim my rears so I don't gey hung up on them. There is also less chance of cracking a fender if there ain't to much of one.

bluebaron
06-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
cuz fenders are for pussies :blah:

thats panties your thinking of:devil: