PDA

View Full Version : Are Stock A-Arms Soft??

Doibugu2
06-08-2003, 06:16 AM
I had my first race this weekend, and once again I bent an a-arm. I hit a tree stump or a root. Not sure what, but this is the 2nd stock a-arm that I have bent. I have yet to bent a tie rod. I'm thinking about getting some plus 1 a arms, but I'm sure I don't want to bend those.

So are the stock a-arms softer than aftermarket? I don't seem to hear to many guys bending the aftermarket ones.

Thanks
Doug

bongwater200
06-08-2003, 06:27 AM
Stock arms are comparitively soft. But any arm will bend if you go banging them into stumps. If they were made stronger, you'd just bend the frame anyway. I'd rather have to take the a-arm off than be replacing frames all the time!

Doibugu2
06-08-2003, 06:32 AM
I know what your saying and I agree with you. But I'm sure I'm not the only person bouncing off stumps or rocks from time to time. I know I hit whatever I hit pretty hard, it just seems like it should have bent.

400exRacerX
06-08-2003, 08:36 AM
Some housers should fix your problem.;)

Doibugu2
06-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Some housers should fix your problem.;)

Yea but if I spend that kind of money on a-arms are they going to dent like the stock a-arms? Like I said in my first post, I'm not going to spend $500 on a-arms and dent one once a year. For some reason I always seem to dent the same one.

400exRacerX
06-08-2003, 09:59 AM
Well I don't trail ride with mine so I wouldn't no how they hold up to the elements.

Doibugu2
06-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by 400exRacerX
Well I don't trail ride with mine so I wouldn't no how they hold up to the elements.

as wide as yours is, that doesn't suprise me.

Martin Blair
06-08-2003, 01:12 PM
how do you tell if a arm is bent?

i think i got a problem with my front end on the left side but i dont know it looks like the negative camber is off on the left side, how do i tell if its a slight bend? or you tyink its just me?

06-08-2003, 01:17 PM
u can look at the wear of your tires...if one side of the tread is wearing down awkward from the other one that will probably mean your a-arm is bent,.

06-08-2003, 03:51 PM
uhhh no. If u have cut fenders just stand right over the a-arm and look at it. Or the best thing to do would be to take it off. but its ur call i bent mine and i could just look at it and tell. Also Doibugu2 if you already son't have one buy an aftermarket bumper and it will cover more room then ur stocker. U can bend ur bumper back instaed of ur swingarm.

dj416
06-08-2003, 04:08 PM
stock A arms are crap, atleast my experince, ive been thru 5 lower A arms 3 han=ve had the same prob, wels around the shock breaking, i,ve bent 2 of them, one bent my frame also. i would buy aftermarket but seams like every time i bend one i find somebody sellind stock ones. i'm starting at a tech school this summer for welding and i'm going to make a jig abd try building my own A arms

06-09-2003, 02:01 AM
Doug..the stockers are weak compared to aftermarket arms. I've yet to bend mine but i have been able to bend a steering stem and my frame from running into things...:(

Doibugu2
06-11-2003, 10:38 AM
Yea, I've bent the stem already too. This is my 2nd set of a-arms.

How did you fix your frame?