PDA

View Full Version : another bad elka story

hondamxer161
06-08-2003, 03:34 AM
saturday at practice (which should have been a race but its a long story) my friend snapped the whole bottom off his elka rear shock! The shock was only 4 rides old, and he was just landing a little double...no reason for it to snap like that. i might get some pics soon but im not sure....not tryin to flame elka, just lettin you guys know what happened. ill update on the warrenty process shortly...

mike

anywhereEx
06-08-2003, 03:38 AM
Well things break. It happens, sucks but it will always happen with performance parts no matter the brand.

I do not see him having any trouble getting elka to straighten it out granted the shock was being run to the specs it was set up for. Elka has seemed to be a little better than most suspension companies to get things right.

06-08-2003, 04:20 AM
I wanna see this....:confused2

hondamxer161
06-08-2003, 04:35 AM
ill try to get pics...its already been taken from the track to elka dealer so i dunno....but im not makin it up...lol

mike

OutlawEX
06-08-2003, 11:20 AM
:o

Mxbubs
06-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Im with Outlaw and Rico.

AtvMxRider
06-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Mxbubs
Im with Outlaw and Rico.

hondamxer161
06-08-2003, 01:00 PM
i cant believe you guys think im makin this up. like i sit around all day and fabricate stories. geez. the only member here that saw it cant post for some reason, maybe ben will help him out so he can tell ya.

mike

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Without a pic its hard to judge if this really happen...try to get one dude, it will help alot.

AtvMxRider
06-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by hondamxer161
i cant believe you guys think im makin this up. like i sit around all day and fabricate stories. geez. the only member here that saw it cant post for some reason, maybe ben will help him out so he can tell ya.

mike

Hey man don't get you panties in a wad. We just wanted to see pics of the shock:rolleyes: .

hondamxer161
06-08-2003, 01:21 PM
heres the story, with all the details. my friend bust his shock in half at gratten raceway in michigan, on saturday, where we practiced because they cancelled a two day race. the guy from fab-tech atv (that makes those no bind arms mxbubs pointed out on ebay a while ago) was there, and is an elka dealer. so he has the shock. my friend that works for Jnine was there, saw the shock. i dont know how many details you guys need to know this was real.

mike

TheChknhwk
06-08-2003, 01:23 PM
You guys are F'n nuts, I talk to this guy all the time, and he's got no reason to make anything up. So jump off the "you're FOS bandwagon":rolleyes: If you need me I will drive to got dam Grand Rapids to take a pic of that thing:grr:

Pappy
06-08-2003, 01:26 PM
i believe your buddy had a problem...but using"another bad elka" as your thread title is pretty disrepectful. noone really gives a chit what brand of shocks anyone else runs on thier quad.....and the name brands all are pretty damn good components. so it wouldnt come as a surprise that sooner or later someone is bound to have a problem.

95% of the time i see a part failure its because of abuse...or neglect. maybe a shock mount bolt was loose....or a bushing was bad and that lead to premature failure. details dude...thats what we need:cool:

hondamxer161
06-08-2003, 01:31 PM
i didnt mean the title of the thread in disrespect, but its just what it is, another story of a bad shock. if it woulda been anything else i would put the same thing.
as far as mounting, it was all correct. and tight. checked before practice.
im not flamin on elka, which ive already said, im just puttin the info out there.
ill see if i can contact the guy from fab tech who has the shock now.

mike

Mxbubs
06-08-2003, 01:57 PM
His story checks out.:D

Good to know low people in high places.

Nausty
06-08-2003, 02:59 PM
saturday at practice (which should have been a race but its a long story) my friend snapped the whole bottom off his elka rear shock! The shock was only 4 rides old, and he was just landing a little double...no reason for it to snap like that. i might get some pics soon but im not sure....not tryin to flame elka, just lettin you guys know what happened. ill update on the warrenty process shortly...

mike

man, i agree. I've had so many problems with my elkas. First of all i'm not happy with the performance at all which you can see a thread I just made about that and i've had a crap load of rear shock problems. I first had my rear shock rebuilt and blew the seals twice and all the while when I sent it out I had to go without riding and pay for the seals the last time. Then I went with the brand new elka rear because of the reliability of stock rear shock and I hated the performace. (to stiff on whoops and rough stuff, not stiff enough on jumps). So I went with aftermarket rear and we had a set screw come out of the shock and caught in the spring which made the ssd spring over lap itself and made a loud clicking sound every time it went half way down. Did some damage to the shock too.

I really wish I would of went with another brand.:(

TheChknhwk
06-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Glad I bought TCS:confused2

Mxbubs
06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Hey Nausty, that is the 3rd story Ive heard about set screws coming out and doing damage. Mine are tight!

hondamxer161
06-09-2003, 09:25 AM
mxbubs clean out your pm box!!!!!

mike

Teufel
06-09-2003, 09:31 AM
His story checks out.:D

Good to know low people in high places.

That's good to hear I was worried :rolleyes:

hondamxer161
06-09-2003, 10:10 AM
you were worried i was makin it up? man

mike

Teufel
06-09-2003, 11:02 AM
you were worried i was makin it up? man

mike

No , I just couldn't believe that they were questioning your story :D

06-09-2003, 11:21 AM
:eek2:

06-09-2003, 01:15 PM
Still waitin on pics...:cool:

And before somebody jumps down my throat i never said I don't belive anyone...I'd just like to see a pic of this shock after 15 minutes of use...

OutlawEX
06-09-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Still waitin on pics...:cool:

And before somebody jumps down my throat i never said I don't belive anyone...I'd just like to see a pic of this shock after 15 minutes of use...

Mxbubs
06-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Round and Round we go!:D

06-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Round and Round we go!:D
really ...why is there a need for pics? ...details ..? etc :ermm:
why is it so hard to beleive? ...why is it so hard to take his word for it ?

06-09-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by "2-R's Rider"
really ...why is there a need for pics? ...details ..? etc :ermm:
why is it so hard to beleive? ...why is it so hard to take his word for it ?

I'd like ta see were it broke. The words...It broke, don't explain things too good. :ermm:

06-09-2003, 03:29 PM
I'd like ta see were it broke. The words...It broke, don't explain things too good. :ermm:
well curiosity is one thing ...but BROKE sounds like BROKE to me :eek: & explains enough for most ;)

06-09-2003, 03:35 PM
well curiosity is one thing ...but BROKE sounds like BROKE to me :eek: & explains enough for most ;)

Well for all we know the guy put in the linkage upside down,,threaded the bottom shock bolt nut on with his fingers,,,left the adj. knobs cranked to full compression from the factory... I'm not saying it didn't break nor am i saying the guy put the shocks on wrong...I'd like to see were it broke. I guess if a LRD frame broke..everyones gonna jump on the band wagon and not even want to see pic...but would go on a full LRD boycott..:rolleyes:

Mxbubs
06-09-2003, 03:36 PM
I would like to see it just to learn a little bit.

06-09-2003, 03:40 PM

EXactly,,,,, but God forbid question what happened to the shock or a pic of it..

It broke in a million pieces and there's nothing left of the shock to be found with the naked eye....:eek:

Pappy
06-09-2003, 03:40 PM

yeah were all so stupid we need pics to help:devil:

06-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
yeah were all so stupid we need pics to help:devil:

hondamxer161
06-09-2003, 03:57 PM
man i go out bowling and another whole page of posts...the shock had a about 4 races on it, not 15 minutes, i dont know where you got that from. but anyways. it broke the bottom yoke off, just below the big part where the spring rests. it broke clean off. and everything was installed and working correctly. As i have said, the shock is at fab-tech, so i cant take a picture of it, even if i had a cam, which i dont.
i never asked anyone for a "full boycott" as someone put it. i just feel like if i see something break like this, no matter what brand it is, im gonna post it, for all of you guys benefit, so you know whats been breaking. i understand everything breaks. i break alot of **** myself, and so do my friends. i just found this worthy of a post, and would've posted had my PEP shocks done the same.

mike

Pappy
06-09-2003, 04:00 PM
lol..dont take it personal...we LOVE argueing about shocks:devil:

hondamxer161
06-09-2003, 04:21 PM
its cool man, i was just pissed at first when no one believed me. but i understand, id definitly give ya a pic if i could, but like i said i cant.

mike

06-09-2003, 04:33 PM
lol..dont take it personal...we LOVE argueing about shocks:devil:

But it's startin to get old...:ermm:

and hondamxer161,,,by no means am i callin you a lier, or not believing you. I'd like to see where it broke just because i've never seen that or heard of that with any shock...:) It's all good

hondamxer161
06-09-2003, 04:50 PM
its cool rico. i understand. if you guys know people at fab-tech see if they got the shock still, maybe they can get a pic.

mike

Martin Blair
06-09-2003, 08:13 PM
dude got any pics yet?

06-09-2003, 08:47 PM
had a set screw come out of the shock and caught in the spring which made the ssd spring over lap itself and made a loud clicking sound every time it went half way down. Did some damage to the shock too.

I allways knew you had a few loose screws :) :blah:

BTW you cant blame that (loose parts) on the part itself, but from what I am seeing its not allways the riders fault that theres some issues with them either.

Shocks are an interesting subject no matter what the info being discussed is. From what is better at whatever to which one rides the most plush there are going to be some heated debates.

I remember when Elka had first started making shocks in our sport and the valving problems they had and now how much better things are without the bent shafts and stuff from the bigger jump landings on shocks that didnt get valved correctly for the actuall use.

There are a few people I know at local dealers that had even stopped using them due to the particular problem with raptrs used for mx. Some have starting selling them again since most of the problems have been corrected from better experience both valving/springing and getting the correct info on use. It seemed the raptor with its additional weight and typical heavier rider combined with the design of the machine and heavy mx use was too much for the factory set up that was much too stiff and the shafts were giving out.

Was this a problem? sure it was. Was it corrected? sure thing there also.

I think these guys have come a long way in their set up abilities and that most are set up very very close but I am also sure that there are still going to be isolated problems with this or any other products or brand etc. and before you guys start with the "I didnt have any probs with my Blah blah brand" I have to tell you I have not had any probs at all with the elka's and the adjustments that were made would not have even been known to be needed by most riders.

I recently read in dirt wheels where Creech was so happy with his shocks and he also said that he has never even touched the adjustments on them. For some this may sound like he has some great shocks, but for the guy setting up a pro's suspension I would think it made him think this guy doesnt know any better. I have not sat in the pits for a quad mx but I know that the dirt bike guys adjust their suspensions for every race to get the best ride and fastest lap times possible and I have to think you would want the same advantage racing quad mx also. As the terrain changes so does the need for your suspension settings, and if a pro who rides at the levels this guy does isnt 100% on these settings you have to understand that this isnt an easy thing.

Knowing the above you have to agree it must be a "science" setting up a shock for someone you have never even seen ride and that there are going to be problems at times, but thru experience these problems have allmost all gone away (at least the ones that cause major damage to the shock).

Please do post pics if you can cause some of us are curious to see them.

Ben
06-10-2003, 03:41 AM
As i have said, the shock is at pro-fab, so i cant take a picture of it, even if i had a cam, which i dont.

I was talking with Scott, the owner of Pro-Fab, this morning and happened to ask him about this - he denied having anything of the sort at his shop. Regardless, all parts break - it is the nature of the beast. That being said, I don't ever plan to buy Elka shocks myself for several reasons - I'll stick to TCS every single time ;) :D

Pappy
06-10-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Ben
I was talking with Scott, the owner of Pro-Fab, this morning and happened to ask him about this - he denied having anything of the sort at his shop. I'll stick to TCS every single time ;) :D

thats strange.....where is this broken shock:confused:

ben..you didnt like the axis..or pep shocks you had?

Ben
06-10-2003, 03:51 AM
thats strange.....where is this broken shock:confused:

ben..you didnt like the axis..or pep shocks you had?

Well he had never seen the shock so who knows!! :blah: I have never had Pep or Axis and never will - TCS all the way :D

Pappy
06-10-2003, 03:54 AM
well id like to see the break...gives one an idea of where to keep an eye on:)

me niether....elkas for me.....but since ive never run axis or pep i wont say they arent worth the cash. tcs i have used....decent shock for the money. the best shocks ive ever ridin on was a set of pro action prepped ohlins:D

06-10-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Ben
I was talking with Scott, the owner of Pro-Fab, this morning and happened to ask him about this - he denied having anything of the sort at his shop.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

465Stroker
06-10-2003, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Well he had never seen the shock so who knows!! :blah: I have never had Pep or Axis and never will - TCS all the way :D

That's a pretty bold statement.

Ben
06-10-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by 465Stroker
That's a pretty bold statement.

Perhaps it is but TCS fits all of my criteria for shocks: 1. Excellent quality product 2. Affordable 3. Very reasonable wait time (i.e. short) 4. Very friendly and knowledgable customer service.

I don't race and therefor will never spend the big bucks on PEP or Axis. Perhaps for a hardcore racer they are a more finely tuned set of shocks, and they should be for the money they cost. I am not a racer and don't profess to know what they like :cool: I also don't want to wait for months on end to get a pair of shocks, and TCS fits the bill there too. The TCS are a great quality product for my riding style, and have a great reputation. My cousin runs them for MX and finishes at the top of his class almost 100% of the time - he loves them. On top of that the TCS guys are very friendly and helpful when deciding on a model shock. What more could one ask for? Hence, I will not stray from their brand of shocks :D

hondamxer161
06-10-2003, 04:13 AM
sorry boys i messed up in two of my posts. its at FAB TECH not pro fab, i dont know why i started sayin that. post has been edited, and email sent to FAB TECH about a pic.

mike

Ben
06-10-2003, 04:13 AM
Not to mention that TCS is actually helping EXriders with our project quad - unlike the other brands that had no interest in supporting us. ;)

Pappy
06-10-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Perhaps it is but ELKA fits all of my criteria for shocks: 1. Excellent quality product 2. Affordable 3. Very reasonable wait time (i.e. short) 4. Very friendly and knowledgable customer service.

I don't race and therefor will never spend the big bucks on PEP or Axis. Perhaps for a hardcore racer they are a more finely tuned set of shocks, and they should be for the money they cost. I am not a racer and don't profess to know what they like :cool: I also don't want to wait for months on end to get a pair of shocks, and ELKA fits the bill there too. The ELKA are a great quality product for my riding style, and have a great reputation. My buddy runs them for GNCC and finishes at the top of his class almost 100% of the time - he loves them. On top of that the ELKA guys are very friendly and helpful when deciding on a model shock. What more could one ask for? Hence, I will not stray from their brand of shocks :D

lmfao...sorry ben i had to do it:devil: :blah: rotflmao

Ben
06-10-2003, 04:22 AM
Oh, I agree that Elka is a fine product, I just won't buy their brand for assorted reasons ;)

Pappy
06-10-2003, 04:23 AM
lol..well duh...if i had tcs handin me free shocks id run them mofo's too:D

Ben
06-10-2003, 04:31 AM

I have supported TCS all down the line! :D Would you run DG if they gave you their nerfs? :blah:

Pappy
06-10-2003, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by Ben
I have supported TCS all down the line! :D Would you run DG if they gave you their nerfs? :blah:

in a heart beat;) i never had any problems with mine....i did get ac pro pegs but found the hype wasnt worth the product.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/attachment.php?s=&postid=624120

Ben
06-10-2003, 04:50 AM
DG's nerfs are certainly better than the nerfs I'm running - none! :blah:

Pappy
06-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Ben
DG's nerfs are certainly better than the nerfs I'm running - none! :blah:

ummm......arens hasnt taken care oif you either:confused: i was gonna give him a shot but he must not like my cash:o

06-10-2003, 05:10 AM
this THREAD probably woud not exist if everyone rode PEP's :macho

forum
06-10-2003, 05:22 AM

Thats what i was gonna say.

465Stroker
06-10-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by Ben
Not to mention that TCS is actually helping EXriders with our project quad - unlike the other brands that had no interest in supporting us. ;)

I understand your loyalty to TCS now..

In that same retrospect - Why are ya given Kenny a hard time about the price of his battery for the difference of a dollar - Isn't he helping out Exriders??

06-10-2003, 05:39 AM
this THREAD probably woud not exist if everyone rode PEP's :macho

Yeah I bet PEP has never had an issue with one shock that went out the door..:ermm:

All I can say is Elka will be the leader of suspension in the long run and you can take that to the bank...:blah:

PEP built the standards and hasn't changed a thing on their shocks in years...axis either. They have valving down to an art and offer top of the line shocks hands down. But elka is bringin in new people, new ideas and their R&D department is alive everyday trying to inovate new ways for shocks to perform in all aspects of racing. So they have a few flaws they are still working out..big friggen deal. You think Henry Ford never had problems with his first model T's that rolled off the line.

I'll give credit were it's due and Elka get its.

PEP and AXIS are the DR's of suspension,,but sitting here watching people mislead others about a good product because they have an issue or a buddy has an issue is for chit. People come to this site to learn about all aspects of quads. And it just burns my *** when someone (not pointing fingers) talks about a product and how bad it is..when that person has only been ridin quads for 2 years or so and is lucky to even know how to change a spark plug much less get on here and bad mouth a suspension company...

They are doing their best and are takin care of customers when issues arive in a timely manner.

I ordered my shocks and received them in 8 days. Try that with all the other companies and let me know how it goes..

And if you think all other shocks don't break, fold, bust, leak oil, etc, etc, etc. well I suggest you quit couch racing and go to the track and see for yourselfs.

Teufel
06-10-2003, 05:43 AM
BUMP for CUSTOM AXIS:cool:

hondamxer161
06-10-2003, 05:57 AM
Rico man. I told ya, i was never flamin elka. just puttin info out there to my fellow riders. i know i like to know of stuff like this...dont you? course every shock in the world has been broke by someone, thats racing right? sometimes its pretty fun to break chit :devil:
but anyways. parts break, everyone tells everyone else when they do. plain and simple.

mike

ps. PEP is doin different things with shocks, prolly more than any of us know

Ben
06-10-2003, 05:57 AM
In that same retrospect - Why are ya given Kenny a hard time about the price of his battery for the difference of a dollar - Isn't he helping out Exriders??

Kenny and I have an advertising agreement and I wasn't giving him a hard time over a dollar - I've spent untold amounts of money on this project quad and could care less about a dollar :)

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-10-2003, 06:03 AM
PEP built the standards and hasn't changed a thing on their shocks in years...

Its hard to improve on perfection :devil:

Seriously though, they have been trying out new things, like their oversize reserviors, etc...

06-10-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Its hard to improve on perfection :devil:

Seriously though, they have been trying out new things, like their oversize reserviors, etc...

I"m not implying that PEP and AXIS have no R&D dept. anymore...:p

I can say a little birdy mentioned to me that Elka has brought on an IRL suspension guru to help in further developement of their shocks.

And I'm willing to bet Elka has sold as many shocks as Axis and PEP combined since their start in the ATV world so of course your gonna hear more problems with elka when they're probably outselling PEP 5/1..;)

hondamxer161
06-10-2003, 06:28 AM
itd be interesting just to see sales figures...not that it would show which was better, but i see your point rico.
one thing i think is straight up retarded is the wait on PEP. i would NEVER have waited that long for mine. i got lucky and found some freshly rebuilt ones used, for a good deal.

mike

ranger400ex
06-10-2003, 06:39 AM
I smell something!:rolleyes:

Run DG? I wouldn't run junk even if it was free, and they paid for my racing. Looks at Doug's Z and see what is all truly "DG".
I would rather pay full price for quality, then keep replacing free crap. Can't put myself to that.

All this money spent must have made someone broke??

Elka has done well for me and alot of others, as i am sure that the other biggies have done for countless other riders.

Opinons are like aholes, everyone has one, and alot of them stink.

Ride what ya are happy with.

Rick, someone swindling to make a quick $$, that never happens
:rolleyes: :confused2
(PS I have a cap mount finished, gotta try it out. Maybe a little crash testing in VA this week)

So the project EX gonna make a race?

Ben

Ben
06-10-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by ranger400ex
So the project EX gonna make a race?

We might make a GNCC race in August - if so my cousin will be racing it (I'm no racer! :blah: )

trx400ex
06-10-2003, 07:05 AM
I just blew out my axis rear shock but god knows how many hours it had on it when i bought it..... no shock is indestructable

axis is closest though;)

Martin Blair
06-10-2003, 07:10 AM
Yeah I bet PEP has never had an issue with one shock that went out the door..:ermm:

All I can say is Elka will be the leader of suspension in the long run and you can take that to the bank...:blah:

PEP built the standards and hasn't changed a thing on their shocks in years...axis either. They have valving down to an art and offer top of the line shocks hands down. But elka is bringin in new people, new ideas and their R&D department is alive everyday trying to inovate new ways for shocks to perform in all aspects of racing. So they have a few flaws they are still working out..big friggen deal. You think Henry Ford never had problems with his first model T's that rolled off the line.

PEP and AXIS are the DR's of suspension,,but sitting here watching people mislead others about a good product because they have an issue or a buddy has an issue is for chit. People come to this site to learn about all aspects of quads. And it just burns my *** when someone (not pointing fingers) talks about a product and how bad it is..when that person has only been ridin quads for 2 years or so and is lucky to even know how to change a spark plug much less get on here and bad mouth a suspension company...

They are doing their best and are takin care of customers when issues arive in a timely manner.

I ordered my shocks and received them in 8 days. Try that with all the other companies and let me know how it goes..

And if you think all other shocks don't break, fold, bust, leak oil, etc, etc, etc. well I suggest you quit couch racing and go to the track and see for yourselfs.

But axis and pep, even works shcoks already work and work great so why are they trying to chage soemthign that worsk great already? sounds like lame excuse for poor quality.

cdalejef
06-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Its not something they have to fix, its new stuff coming out that no one else has thought of or wanted to put forth the effort too.

z400ACDC
06-10-2003, 07:54 AM
I know that william Yoakley and Brad Page are not as happy with the Elkas as with their Axis they ran last year. Do you know why they can't hit the setup for them? I believe that what makes a good shock is the setup( spring rates and valving) and is it reliable (hard to brake). Any shock is good if it is setup for you and the conditions you ride and tuff. People wack on Works shocks, but I have a couple of sets with no problems. I was going to get one for the rear until Bill Ballance helped me out with a Axis rear. I know that I would be happy with a Elka also if the setup was right. I don't care what color or what sticker is on them if they ride great:

06-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by z400ACDC
I know that william Yoakley and Brad Page are not as happy with the Elkas as with their Axis they ran last year. Do you know why they can't hit the setup for them? I believe that what makes a good shock is the setup( spring rates and valving) and is it reliable (hard to brake). Any shock is good if it is setup for you and the conditions you ride and tuff. People wack on Works shocks, but I have a couple of sets with no problems. I was going to get one for the rear until Bill Ballance helped me out with a Axis rear. I know that I would be happy with a Elka also if the setup was right. I don't care what color or what sticker is on them if they ride great:

I'd say call Elka and ask them. Brad and William are not having a good year and I suspect Elka is the scap goat...:ermm:

i suck at racing and don't condition worth a crap but I dont' blame it on my shocks, motor, axle. etc, etc, etc..

PS..Jeff Stoess has been handin out asses all year long with his Elka Prepped C-dale. I haven't heard him cry about his shocks yet...:cool:

06-10-2003, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by HN400exracer
sounds like lame excuse for poor quality.

ROFLMFAO...that's the funniest thing i've read on here in weeks.....

Notu400ex
06-10-2003, 10:54 AM
I got a picture of a busted Elka if anyone thinks an Elka can't break. For mine, the top cap came totally unscrewed from the threaded body. Then, it jammed sideways. The last couple of threads were boogered but that was it. I paid for the repair too. When the shock came back, it had a locking ring just underneath of the new cap to prevent the shock body from simply unscrewing from the upper cap while riding.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/jonekelly/vwp?.dir=/Elka&.src=ph&.dnm=Image001.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/bc/jonekelly/lst%3f%26.dir=/Elka%26.src=ph%26.view=t

By the way, this is a very early Raptor shock.

cdalejef
06-10-2003, 11:10 AM
No one said that Elka's can't break!

Notu400ex
06-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Post was pointed to Rico. Many references were made by Rico and others assuming this person was lying about having a problem with an Elka shock.

All vendors do have problems and have to work out the kinks. Mine was an early Raptor design that was missing a locking ring. This happened to me over a year ago and I have never posted a picture. The only posting I ever put on a site was to warn others of the safety issue to make sure they had a locking ring installed. I got hurt pretty bad but didn't even consider a lawsuit (even though I work for a law firm and could have been represented for no $). It isn't my style. I take the risks and I will live with them even if I end up in a wheelchair.

On a side note to any Raptor owner, the same thing can happen to your rear sprocket even if you have those locking tabs bent around the 6 nuts. The screw itself can loosen from the sprocket holder and the nut at the same time even with the locking tab holding the nut. Had it happen to me while riding at Hatfield McCoy in WV. By the time I noticed, I only had three of the six screws. The best way to solve this is to install regular bolts from the back side that can't unscrew through the sprocket holder.

Jeff, sorry if you were offended. The Quad Shop is a class outfit that revalved, respringed, and serviced my Elkas. I only wish I purchased them from you instead of buying them directly. I am sure I wouldn't have had to pay for the repair from this mishap.

/Jon

06-10-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Notu400ex
Post was pointed to Rico. Many references were made by Rico and others assuming this person was lying about having a problem with an Elka shock.

/Jon

WTF ever dude...:rolleyes:

Please quote the post i made when i said he was lying...:ermm:

Learn to read and interprete what people say before bitin my head off...:cool:

I guess..post a pic for us to see..... MEANS....... your a lyin ******* and I don't beleive ya..:huh

cdalejef
06-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Notu400ex

Jeff, sorry if you were offended. The Quad Shop is a class outfit that revalved, respringed, and serviced my Elkas. I only wish I purchased them from you instead of buying them directly. I am sure I wouldn't have had to pay for the repair from this mishap.

/Jon I'm not offended at all! I sell and have used just about every brand of shock on the market! Elka's have worked the best for me.

Mxbubs
06-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Im calling Joe at Fab-Tech tommorrow to get a pic emailed to me.

Hahaha.......Round and round we go!:D

Shocks now days are like much better than they were a couple of years ago, I think it is the customer service is what separates them now. Now and then, depending on if the guy building your shocks went out and got drunk the night before, some shocks will go out bad with any company. They are made and set by humans.

06-10-2003, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Oh, I agree that Elka is a fine product, I just won't buy their brand for assorted reasons ;)

I have to applaud your professionalism there Ben because if I was running this site that has been so seriously a MAJOR FACTOR in the succes of Elka I would not be so polite discussing why I was not happy with how they dissed me.

When I had first heard the story I seriously couldnt understand their thinking in not wanting to work with this site and basicly now consider there business sense very lacking and allmost greedy and stupid.

Oh well just my .02

06-10-2003, 04:09 PM
I understand your loyalty to TCS now..

:confused: :huh

06-10-2003, 04:15 PM

Everything you just said is why I quote Froest gump in my sig but no one ever understands that. People are just not eager to think and do the work themselves but they all love to talk or BS etc. but we all know talk is cheap.

But then again after some of the new pricing and other issues I am wondering if Elka isnt trying to become a victim of that quote also. :D :blah:

bmw500hp
06-10-2003, 04:45 PM

Hahaha.......Round and round we go!:D

This threads going somewhere alright, but it aint round and round!:rolleyes:

Jekyl_22
06-11-2003, 06:21 AM
Some of you people are like a bunch of girls (sorry for the the sexist comment) you twist things around and don't look at the facts or what people REALLY said.

At no point in this thread did anyone say that they didn't believe mxbubs. So don't try and say that they did. Also, just because we wanted pictures doesn't mean we didn't believe him. We just wanted pictures to see where it broke and just to see it. This doesn't happen every day, I would like to see a picture.

If Dana Creech told me that he jumped 150', I would want to see a picture. Not that I wouldn't believe him, I would just want to see it.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

An mxbubs, No I am not asking for a picture anymore. I realize that it is in the shop being worked on, just forget about it.

As for shocks, I prefer stock... a real man can't take the harsh ride!:rolleyes: :eek2: :huh :confused2

12gofast
06-11-2003, 06:27 AM
All I can say is some of you guys do not understand what a forum is for....if someone experiences a problem with a product we as a consumer have a right to know....that is the greatest thing about this internet thing.
Some of the people on here have nothing better to do than flame everyone that has an opinion....I guess that is why we have leaders and followers!
One thing is for certain and that is everyone of these shock companies build a good shock and each one has a feature that is better than their competitors....if we all rode the SAME then there would be no reason for competition and different brands.
Do you think William Yokely prefers the same setup as Bill Ballance. Hmmm Ballance is running Custom Axis...so why arent all of you buying Axis, come on he is the champ!

One thing is for certain....it is 95% rider 5% quad....so maybe you guys need to get out and ride some more and create your own experiences before criticizing others!

12gofast
06-11-2003, 06:28 AM
I bet I piss some people off with that one......:)

Pappy
06-11-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by 12gofast
I bet I piss some people off with that one......:)

you cant be serious....you mean everyone is entitled to buy and run what ever the want:eek: man...when did this happen

z400ACDC
06-11-2003, 09:45 AM
12gofast
I do know that william liked the Axis setup better. Maybe Elka can find the ride he wants. I am sure they are trying. IMS, Roll push the Elka shock or he would be back on Axis;) Damn contracts

cdalejef
06-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Why do you think Roll quit pushing Axis!

z400ACDC
06-11-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
Why do you think Roll quit pushing Axis!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:devil:

monkeyboy
06-11-2003, 09:53 AM
12gofast
I do know that william liked the Axis setup better. Maybe Elka can find the ride he wants. I am sure they are trying. IMS, Roll push the Elka shock or he would be back on Axis;) Damn contracts

u no nutttinz:grr:

cdalejef
06-11-2003, 10:01 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$:devil: Yep, better product for less $$$$$$$$$$$$$

06-11-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
u no nutttinz:grr:

z400ACDC
06-11-2003, 10:16 AM
If Elka is so much better, why do you think Jeremiah and Bill won't run them? They get their shocks, but no cash. Elka has tried to get them to switch. Elka needs to offer championship grade parts, not cheap!

cdalejef
06-11-2003, 10:26 AM
LOL....I guess you don't know them as well as you think you do.

z400ACDC
06-11-2003, 10:44 AM
Avoiding the question? Thats smart! 3rd grade;)

cdalejef
06-11-2003, 10:48 AM
I didn't avoid it.....I was basically saying that you don't know the facts as well as you think you do. Its 4th grade;)

QuadTrix6
06-11-2003, 11:11 AM
And I'm willing to bet Elka has sold as many shocks as Axis and PEP combined since their start in the ATV world so of course your gonna hear more problems with elka when they're probably outselling PEP 5/1..;)

rico you couldn't be more wrong were are you getting your information :confused: :huh , PEP has been in the industry for way longer than ELKA, and even if you count from when elka first started i can bet that PEP moves 3x's as many shocks, and has half the problems, do a search on every shock brand on this site and see who has the most problems, i know there a a lot of die hard ELKA fans on the site that just won't give in no matter how many problems elka has, im not saying there are bad shocks just that they are having a lot of problems and when someone points it out the same handfull of guys get all excited and as for PEP not changing there shocks you guys have no idea what your talking about ..before elka comes out with a so called tripple rate rear they should get there single rates right first and fix all there valving issues...

Lenny the reason that creech only makes minor adj is because thats all it takes to dial them in, creech won't ride anything but PEP he rode them before he was even sposored and paid for them with his own Money.

cdalejef
06-11-2003, 02:13 PM
You hardly ever see PEP's in the GNCC's anymore. I can only think of 1 pro running them.

12gofast
06-11-2003, 05:27 PM
I dont know about you guys but I think I better hurry and jump on the Elka band wagon!!!
Maybe I too can have all that so called new technology of left over snowmobile shocks.....and I will be sooo much faster.

IT MUST BE THE SHOES....I MEAN SHOCKS!!!

06-11-2003, 06:29 PM
so maybe you guys need to get out and ride some more !

I keep hearing this so much I am beggining to believe it :blah:

Lenny the reason that creech only makes minor adj is because thats all it takes to dial them in, creech won't ride anything but PEP he rode them before he was even sposored and paid for them with his own Money.

John I know his story but he is quoted saying that he never even touched them in dirt liars, and thats where I got it from. My comment was based on the need for not only proper initial set up (valving, spring rates pre load and ride heights etc) but how important knowing what your suspension is doing and how to make the minor adjustments etc for the different terrain or tracks etc. and how all this isnt an easy thing and that even pro level riders dont completely understand it.

i know there a a lot of die hard ELKA fans on the site that just won't give in no matter how many problems elka has, im not saying there are bad shocks just that they are having a lot of problems and when someone points it out the same handfull of guys get all excited Its the same for any brand and so many people need to be part of a group ( I wont get into the mental part of this lol) that they forget wtf the big picture is anyhow. As another member said earlier opinions are like arse holes and everyone has one.

When I was deciding on what shocks to get just over a year ago the opinion was much more mixed here but no less screwed up. People just like what they know or have even if they have nothing to compare to (sort of like your peps lmao) and thats fine but so many get pissed when you call their info opinion or second hand its not funny.

The funniest thing is that I keep hearing about Borich whooping the entire a class on a stk suspended z400 at local harescrambles and here we are nit pickin which brand aftermarket shock is best :rolleyes: :confused: :blah:

Maybe if we all just agree that there all over priced junk and spend more time riding we would be better off.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Mxbubs
06-12-2003, 05:31 AM
Round and Round we Go!:D

Pappy
06-12-2003, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by 440EX4me

Maybe if we all just agree that there all over priced junk and spend more time riding we would be better off.

thats exactly why i dont get technical..or pretend to know what makes them tick....just go ride and shut it:devil: thats about as good a moto for these threads as anything:p

it seems 99% of what the "experts" here post is repeated rhetoric from a damn sales brochure or from what someone else told them. and if it isnt an expert its someone who rides just enough to keep the tires dirty....maybe one day we will have a bona fide...impartial ...unbiased ...unopinionated expert that can tell us all were full of chit:bandit:

until then....we are stuck with what we got:confused2

Doibugu2
06-12-2003, 05:52 AM
I don't pretend to know anything about shocks, and all I have ridden on is my stockers and my elka's. And I can tell you this, my Elka's are a lot better than my stockers. But they ain't worth $1500.:ermm:

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-12-2003, 06:22 AM
You hardly ever see PEP's in the GNCC's anymore. I can only think of 1 pro running them.

....and at the MX track you see.....

06-12-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
rico you couldn't be more wrong were are you getting your information :confused: :huh , PEP has been in the industry for way longer than ELKA, and even if you count from when elka first started i can bet that PEP moves 3x's as many shocks, and has half the problems, do a search on every shock brand on this site and see who has the most problems, i know there a a lot of die hard ELKA fans on the site that just won't give in no matter how many problems elka has, im not saying there are bad shocks just that they are having a lot of problems and when someone points it out the same handfull of guys get all excited and as for PEP not changing there shocks you guys have no idea what your talking about ..before elka comes out with a so called tripple rate rear they should get there single rates right first and fix all there valving issues...

your a F'in idiot and i'm tired of dealin with you and your all insipring 16 year old knowledge...
:rolleyes:

Castor-426ex
06-12-2003, 06:25 AM
:eek:

cdalejef
06-12-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
....and at the MX track you see..... I don't pay much attention to MX so I can't comment on that.

OutlawEX
06-12-2003, 06:50 AM
I don't pay much attention to MX so I can't comment on that.

Well here ill comment for you . I run 95% MX and on the top bikes you see PEP,Axis,and some times u see elka and works. I run MX alot and i have learned that there is no other shock than PEP that works the best. Im currently on my second pair of PEP shocks as i have the ZPS now and nothing and i mean nothing no other shock i havce ridden on compares to the PEP ZPS.

P.S :Jeff i give u credit if i worked for a ATV company and they shot me killer deals on shocks id back them up too:blah:

cdalejef
06-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Thats not the case at all! I sell every brand of shock and have the same margin on all of them. I'm speaking from my knowlege of how shocks work, not sales.

QuadTrix6
06-12-2003, 07:25 AM
your a F'in idiot and i'm tired of dealin with you and your all insipring 16 year old knowledge...
:rolleyes:

wheres this info that elka is out sellin PEP, stop dodging questions and please answer them rico, everyone knows what you think of me but please answer the question instead of contantly bashing me when i ask you to back up the information that you continue to post when i know its flat out wrong, never once did i attck your name and its kinda childish for you to attack mine and curse at me i think you have a lot of growing up to do. i know you love Elka but facts are facts and you can't keep saying its the riders fault in every thread when elkas BREAK..and BTW im 20 im not a wise *** you can ask anyone that met me at Rausch.

and Lenny i have rode ELKA valved for closely the same weight there is a guy at a local spot and we swapped bikes for 45 minutes so trust me i know how ELKA ride , he had no problems but i personaly like my shocks better, other companies i have rode are works too which impressed me because of how many people bag on them

OutlawEX
06-12-2003, 07:29 AM
Im a bit confused.. So axis dropped Roll or what ever.. So is Elka with Roll now and if so did the price drop?:confused:

06-12-2003, 07:32 AM
wheres this info that elka is out sellin PEP, stop dodging questions and please answer them rico, everyone knows what you think of me but please answer the question instead of contantly bashing me when i ask you to back up the information that you continue to post when i know its flat out wrong, never once did i attck your name and its kinda childish for you to attack mine and curse at me i think you have a lot of growing up to do. i know you love Elka but facts are facts and you can't keep saying its the riders fault in every thread when elkas BREAK..and BTW im 20 im not a wise *** you can ask anyone that met me at Rausch.

and Lenny i have rode ELKA valved for closely the same weight there is a guy at a local spot and we swapped bikes for 45 minutes so trust me i know how ELKA ride , he had no problems but i personaly like my shocks better, other companies i have rode are works too which impressed me because of how many people bag on them

:ermm: read my last response :blah:

Pappy
06-12-2003, 07:38 AM
quadtrix....you asked rico to back his facts and im asking you to dispute his with facts......if not lets all get the FACT outta here:p

QuadTrix6
06-12-2003, 07:38 AM
:ermm: read my last response :blah:

so you don't have facts ? im confused :confused:

QuadTrix6
06-12-2003, 07:41 AM
quadtrix....you asked rico to back his facts and im asking you to dispute his with facts......if not lets all get the FACT outta here:p

fair enough pappy i will post them later, i don't wanna miss anything :devil:

06-12-2003, 07:47 AM
so you don't have facts ? im confused :confused:

Read my 2nd to last post... :blah: