PDA

View Full Version : clark 5.5 gal fuel tank

KAWSAM62
06-08-2003, 02:47 AM
hello anyone using one,how was the install? does it look good?do you need to take the front plastic off to install?worth 200.00 thx for any advice!:cool:

bradley300
06-08-2003, 09:08 AM
i dont have one, but have seen them at the races. you will need to take off the front plastic (i think it only works with stock) and i think the clear ones are ugly. the black ones look real nice b/c you can barely even tell its a part of the tank instead if the side panels.

KAWSAM62
06-09-2003, 06:22 AM
anyone else!:cool:

06-09-2003, 06:28 AM
pics anyone?

buckeye400ex
06-09-2003, 09:28 AM
I like mine. Kawsam, I replied to your PM.

buckeye400ex
06-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Shot from the other side.

buckeye400ex
06-09-2003, 09:34 AM
From the seat.

Martin Blair
06-09-2003, 04:37 PM
the clark tank doesnt ahve that humo, i was thinkigna bout getitng one also do they sell silver ones?

and whts there website?

OutlawEX
06-09-2003, 05:26 PM
I personally think they are over kill for the Ex as the Ex is excellent on gas

06-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by OutlawEX
I personally think they are over kill for the Ex as the Ex is excellent on gas

Some are better than others, depends on the mods etc.

I can get onto reserve in under three hours, and sometimes not too much over two.

buckeye400ex
06-10-2003, 04:41 AM
Regardless how good the quad is on gas, you can't ride much over 60 miles. If you have a 100 mile ride planned and you are running race fuel and your utility quad buddy has a 2.5 gallon can of 87 octane on his quad, I think your best bet is to have plenty of your own fuel. You MX guys probably wouldn't like it because 3 more gallons of fuel does weigh a lot more also. But for a woods rider like me, it's perfect.

Hn400, here's their site. http://www.clarkemfg.com/home.html
Silver is an option. Not sure what your other question was.

mcmike
06-10-2003, 10:06 AM
Have one and love it. Intall was kinda strange. Took about an hour to figure out how the o-rings went on, but the rest is easy. My front plastics never fit better and are more stable now. Try racing a modified ex during a two hour XC race on a stock tank. When I do race MX, I just don't fill it up. Plastic doesn't weigh that much:D

KAWSAM62
06-10-2003, 10:40 AM
hello does the front of the tank hold the bottom inside edge of the fender like the factory black side panels did it looks like its connected to the fender ?;)

Glamis400ex
06-10-2003, 12:27 PM
What I want to know is, how can they claim the capacity on that thing. When the 2 "wings" that straddle the frame on both sides, how does the gas get out from down in there from the right side, over to the left where the petcock is??????:huh

Glamis

buckeye400ex
06-10-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by KAWSAM62
hello does the front of the tank hold the bottom inside edge of the fender like the factory black side panels did it looks like its connected to the fender ?;)

Yes the very front of the tank bolts to the front fenders just like the side panels do.

Glamis, before I put mine in, I rinsed it out thoroughly and left it sit level on the ground, almost ALL of the kerosene drained out of the hole I had drilled for the petcock without shaking it around. I'd say a few ounces were left in it. Less than a cup (8ozs) I'd say. I never shined a light inside the tank when it was completely empty, but it gets over there. Also, the pieces that run all the way down to the frame to replace the side panels are not hollow. So there's not a spot for fuel to get stuck.

Chanman420q
06-10-2003, 02:50 PM
unless ur riding on a completely smoooth ground, im sure that gas will get spashed up into the petcock ;)

mbiigambler
06-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Just installed and used it for the first time on a 2 hour+ race. I like it. I couldn't figure out where the black o-rings went, so I didn't install them - any advice would be appreciated!

buckeye400ex
06-11-2003, 02:42 AM
I didn't know where those went either. They go around the frame near the back of the tank and hook on to those metal hooks that are bolted to the tank.

mbiigambler
06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Thanks I will try and install them, not sure it there need as the tanks seem pretty stable after the race, but if I can still find the o-ring I'll use them.

KAWSAM62
06-11-2003, 06:22 AM
do you mean they go in the same place as the factory bands went on the rear of the tank ?:cool: do you use the same blk puch in pins on the front fenders too and are there bolts in the front of the tank under the stem like the factory tank? thx for all the info:D

buckeye400ex
06-11-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by KAWSAM62
do you mean they go in the same place as the factory bands went on the rear of the tank ?:cool: do you use the same blk puch in pins on the front fenders too and are there bolts in the front of the tank under the stem like the factory tank? thx for all the info:D

No they go on the very end (like where the end of the sidepanel used to be) of the tank and go around the frame almost next to the airbox. Like mbiigambler said it's really stable without them on there.

There are none of the push in plastic rivots used. The front of the tank comes with bolts. Also there are bolts under the stem. Those are the bolts I suggested to put in place last, so the tank can be moved around a little to get the front fender plastic to line up, then slide it all back to line up on the bolt holes. It worked much easier that way on the 2nd one I installed.

Grut
06-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Hey fellas,

Just installed one about a week ago and the o-rings can either go around the frame where the support brackets go or can go on the allen screw for the side panels. I chose the to use the screw because it angles the o-rings to the front on the tank and was a stronger setup. The only thing i noticed is that I pumped 5 gallons into a can then dumped it in and it just about filled the tank I would highly doubt that I could get another .5 gallon in. Oh well the tank looks great and gives me way more ride time.
Another note: I had problems with the front fenders working. The tabs had to be trimmed to prevent a bulge in the fender around the tank.

Later
Grut

tprender
06-11-2003, 02:58 PM
They say that it might not work with aftermarket plastic. What is you opinion after ptting one on? I would like to get one, but I have Maier plastic.

KAWSAM62
06-12-2003, 08:27 AM
i think im sold on one does the seat still hook in the front the same way? thx all:D

mcmike
06-12-2003, 11:29 AM
If your aftermarket plastic doesn't have the sides cut out (where your old black side panels were), you may have find a buddies, and try your plastic on their quad with the big momma tank!:eek2:

Grut
06-13-2003, 10:05 AM
Kawsam62,

Answer to your question is yes, it actually uses the same exact post from the stock tank.

Grut

KAWSAM62
06-14-2003, 04:50 AM
thx all!:D