PDA

View Full Version : 4-stroke smokes like 2-stroke????

slosh13
06-07-2003, 05:26 PM
I have a 400ex and I have been noticing that when I start it to go riding, it shoots a very large amount of blueish- smoke out of the exhaust. This lasts for about a couple or minutes or so, then all of a sudden it just stops. It runs very good after its been warmed up. Could it be just a "ritual" for getting warmed up or do I have something wrong with my motor that I should look into?
Help me out guys and girls...send me some feedback:D

SPONSORS 03':
JP CYCLE
HETRICK RACING
SCOTT'S AMSOIL
MY BAD RACING
B-TOWN BOYZ RACING
S.H.I. RACING
MOM AND DAD

HELP FROM: WRP POWERSPORTS, EXRIDERS.COM, C&D RACING, LINE-X SPRAY ON BEDLINERS, SALEM OIL

"Wow you must be fast cuz I was hauling a$% when I passed you."
:devil:

Scott-300ex
06-07-2003, 05:34 PM
blue smoke=rich

its probably because you have the choke on or something.

also, your air filter could need cleaning and this w/ the choke together might lead to this, or your jetting could be off

but as long as it clears up after it is warmed up i wouldn't go crazy over it, but to try the simple things to fix it

toby400ex
06-07-2003, 06:12 PM
if ur valve seals are bad they will leak oil when cold, then when warmed up they will stop leaking.

Diedrich
06-07-2003, 06:26 PM
yeah i say its no biggie..i would look at the carb and adjust it a lil to see if it helps..if it dont check into the valve seals

skemp
06-08-2003, 06:42 AM
Blue smoke is from burning oil, not from being rich.

Your valve seals are shot. When your quad is sitting not running for a period of time, oil will leak down through the valve seals and onto the piston. When you start it, it will burn that oil and produce the smoke you are seeing. It won't smoke as much when it is running because the parts are moving, but it will still leak. Check your oil and keep your eye on it because it is going to consume oil; and get it fixed. Valve seals are cheap.

Scott-300ex
06-08-2003, 08:01 AM
oops:eek:

my bad

i didn't do that onpurpose

and the valve seals stop leaking because of the heat, since they expand

zoom400ex
06-08-2003, 11:19 AM
could also just be the process for warming up.... the rings expanding stopping the smoke. the honda dealer near me told me that almost all 400's burn alittle oild anyway. he said "they are almost made to do it"

250x#93
06-08-2003, 12:50 PM
the honda dealer near me told me that almost all 400's burn alittle oild anyway. he said "they are almost made to do it"

I never heard of a motor that was made to burn a little oil:huh :eek2:

zoom400ex
06-08-2003, 02:23 PM
ya i know
i thought the saem thing when he said that..................i think he smoked a little crack beofre he talked to me....:huh

Houser Cannondale
06-08-2003, 02:28 PM
black smoke= too much fuel
blue smoke= burning oil
could be just the motor getting wore out. all motors smoke eventually after they get rode so much.

slosh13
06-08-2003, 02:56 PM
My choke isn't on when i start it....... So thats not a problem:(

Bean
06-08-2003, 03:20 PM
white smoke means burning water or antifreeze to, lol

check your valve seals and your rings, maybe your bore is worn out and it needs slightly bored and re-pistoned

Pappy
06-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by skemp
Blue smoke is from burning oil, not from being rich.

Your valve seals are shot. When your quad is sitting not running for a period of time, oil will leak down through the valve seals and onto the piston. When you start it, it will burn that oil and produce the smoke you are seeing. It won't smoke as much when it is running because the parts are moving, but it will still leak. Check your oil and keep your eye on it because it is going to consume oil; and get it fixed. Valve seals are cheap.

and also preform a compression and a leak down test......

mysticfalcon
06-08-2003, 06:39 PM
I've got an XR100 that smokes like a2-stroke. I think its because theres no rings. I could be wrong though. Its an old POS that I've been unsucesfully trying to kill for months.

racinred330ex
06-10-2003, 10:12 AM
what u need to do is take the engine apart and check ur valve seals and u ring while ur at it u mine as well bore it over and put new pistons and rins to get a lil more perfomance