PDA

View Full Version : Timing Advance Key

KillWhitey
06-07-2003, 01:22 PM
Hey guys just wondering if anyone has ever used a timing advance key, is it good bad, and how hard is it to install if it is useful..? please let me know your opinions.
:devil:

Martin Blair
06-07-2003, 02:16 PM
i am thinking about getting it for my winter rebuild since im not doing to much engine work. I have talked to some people about it, it makes the motor run hotter and gives better throtle responce but not the much notable power, just makes it snappier.

there is a whole tech artical about installing it.

hawiianpwr
06-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Get it . Its a great mod for the price. I felt little bit better throttle reponse. Its easy to put in just make sure you have a strap wrench to hold on to the flywheel

nastynotchback1
06-07-2003, 02:55 PM
if any of you want one i have a sparks key i will take 15.00 for.i have a high comp piston and can not use it.it is brand new.it is not in the package it came in because i bought it with a jet kit and that guy had already taken it out of the package but never installed it.thanks TRAI

chad502ex
06-08-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by nastynotchback1
if any of you want one i have a sparks key i will take 15.00 for.i have a high comp piston and can not use it.it is brand new.it is not in the package it came in because i bought it with a jet kit and that guy had already taken it out of the package but never installed it.thanks TRAI

nastynotchback1, why is it you can't advance your timing with a hi compression piston?

Chad502EX.com

nastynotchback1
06-08-2003, 01:24 PM
both cause more heat in the motor and both of them togeather cause too much heat.

cheetah
06-08-2003, 02:06 PM
I would say it's well worth it. Heres the link to the article.

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/sparks.html

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me and I'll try and answer the best I can.:)

airheadedduner
06-08-2003, 05:32 PM
both cause more heat in the motor and both of them togeather cause too much heat.
Time for race gas then to run it.

It is a good cheap mod, works well.

BTW are you also on pbreview.com's forums??

Martin Blair
06-08-2003, 05:35 PM
15 ? thats what sparks charges

Mr_Bub400ex
06-08-2003, 05:54 PM
i thought that there was another reason besides heat that u couldnt use the advance key on motors with high comp

UglyMotha™
06-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Bub400ex
i thought that there was another reason besides heat that u couldnt use the advance key on motors with high comp

the only reason i know of is because of the heat factor i'm running the advance key with a 11:1 compression been running it for a while now and no probs i started off runnin it on 93 but it was running hotter than i wanted so now a run 60% race and 40% 93 and it runs cooler than my brother stock 400 so i don't forsee me running into any problems down the road

chad502ex
06-09-2003, 05:23 AM

thats strange!! I run both high compression piston and advance key in my 502, but I do have an external oil cooler to help keep it cool. I know plently of 440 and 416 that run hi-comp and key with no heat prob at all. Its true advancing does increase heat a little cause you'll run leaner on bottom end, but its not hazardous at all to the motor.

Bottom line is this CS $15 mod is most bang for buck

Chad502ex.com

nastynotchback1
06-09-2003, 02:14 PM
well if 15 is too high then make an offer.that was 15 shipped.i was told by my mechanic not to use both so that is what i am going by.i may not have a problem using both but i dont want to install it to find out