PDA

View Full Version : Atv Ban! Fight! Ben!

Mxbubs
06-07-2003, 05:57 AM
Guys guys guys..........this is more serious than you think. If these tree huggers dont succeed at banning the making of youth atv's, I promise you it will deter the makers from making awesome sport bikes like the yz450, the crf450 quads...

Ben, this is the biggest atv site on the web, we have more leverage than any site. Would everyone please send an email. I typed up a generic email, you can add your name to it if you like......WE NEED TO FLOOD THEM. It is going to the Consumer Safety Product Commission.

Their email is.... info@cpsc.gov

Hi, my name is . I have learned that the CPSC is currently considered banning the legal use and or production of atvs, aka four wheelers. It troubles me deeply as a free American citizen that the CPSC would even consider taking away RIGHTS from free Americans. These groups that are pushing the ban have the RIGHT not to participate. THEY NOR YOU have the right to take our rights away. Atving is a wonderful sport, and like all sports, people do get hurt. If you dont like it, dont participate. Please make the only common sense decision.

GNCC#829
06-07-2003, 06:16 AM
I just sent them one!:( :( :(

anywhereEx
06-07-2003, 06:17 AM
Mine is sent:macho

DMH
06-07-2003, 06:31 AM
Print and send in one of these to.

http://www.atvaonline.com/rights/petition.pdf

bluebaron
06-07-2003, 06:46 AM
just sent mine

TheRedRebel17
06-07-2003, 06:48 AM
Done

blondie69
06-07-2003, 06:51 AM
i'm guessin the ban is only for the states....well....i jus sent one of those email thingys anyways...i'm supporting u guys! :D

JUSTINcredible
06-07-2003, 07:17 AM
If they take away atvs im cutting down thier trees:mad:

Ryan
06-07-2003, 07:19 AM
I have sent them letters countless times. I have also mailed in the petition from the ATVA website.

I hope these tree huggers burn in hell :scary: .

Foxrage
06-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Sent one!!!

AC 400 ex 02
06-07-2003, 07:23 AM
mine is sent:macho

06-07-2003, 07:44 AM
SENT! I added a little bit also

Hi, my name is Bobby Liberty . I have learned that the CPSC is currently considered banning the legal use and or production of atvs, aka four wheelers. It troubles me deeply as a free American citizen that the CPSC would even consider taking away RIGHTS from free Americans. These groups that are pushing the ban have the RIGHT not to participate. THEY NOR YOU have the right to take our rights away. Atving is a wonderful sport, and like all sports, people do get hurt. If you dont like it, dont participate. Please make the only common sense decision. I would just like to add that there is millions of riders out there that will fight this ban if you keep trying! And i am Proud to say i am one of them!!

Bobby Liberty

Sportrax10
06-07-2003, 07:59 AM
Mines sent,

Good thread Mxbubs!

Atreyu
06-07-2003, 08:21 AM
Sent one ;)

QuAdRaCeR244
06-07-2003, 08:29 AM
i sent one:)

400exBro
06-07-2003, 08:55 AM
sent

Flip)(stick
06-07-2003, 09:02 AM
i sent 1

ridered86
06-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Done, i hate the csc, have they ever looked at the number of car crashes a day?

JHF219
06-07-2003, 09:40 AM
Done deal !! them damn tree hugers !! if they ban i say we all show up at thier doorstep on our quad and show them how many people really ride !! is this all comeing about because of the recent number of deaths? well all the deaths i have read about lately have been cause of the dumb arse rider!! 12 year olds on Raptor no helmet and unsuporvised WTF !!

JHF219
06-07-2003, 09:41 AM
one more thing i think this thread should be a sticky !! i didnt realize it was goign this far !!

06-07-2003, 09:42 AM
When i get to work i'll have our Lotus Notes admin set me up an agent. I'll have my email setup to email them every 6 hours till next month.....:D

I also made this thread a sticky so we can wear them out for a good month with emails....:devious:

GETSOME
06-07-2003, 09:58 AM
I sent one too, I started out polite, then I had to let out some steam.

Mxbubs
06-07-2003, 10:08 AM
AW Rico called me Bubbies.:huh ;) :( :eek: :D

TC17
06-07-2003, 10:15 AM
mine won't send. can someone give me the email adress?

RIjon
06-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Please Try to use FACTS as your ammo

That is the only thing that will make a difference

They can't argue with facts

Personal opinion is not a part of 'their' proccesses

Thank you

lil400exman
06-07-2003, 10:24 AM
sent and see what they do....and rico u know the trick:p

Ryan
06-07-2003, 10:43 AM
If you havn't sent in a petition from http://www.atvaonline.com , please do so. That is evidence that will be handed directly to these tree huggers :mad: . I sent mine in with numerous signatures from other riders.

cudaman
06-07-2003, 11:16 AM
sent!

Honda4trax250x
06-07-2003, 11:29 AM
SENT!!!

Cross Ur Fingers......

Black400
06-07-2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by TC17
mine won't send. can someone give me the email adress?

Same here is says that it can not be sent to that address :huh :scary:

Rip_Tear
06-07-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by MNmxblaster37
If they take away atvs im cutting down thier trees:mad:

LOL. I sent one. I totally agree with the use facts, don't just swear at them or say anything rude.

OutlawEX
06-07-2003, 01:32 PM
sent:bandit:

KASCHAK
06-07-2003, 02:36 PM
send.

those heartless bassthings are going down. there not taking atving away from us. i think that there should be some kind of parent program for the parents of kids ages 10-16 that want to ride a quad. tell them about the danger and everthing. seems like thats where the most deaths accur. and the 11-13 are really bad they think there unstopable. stace the problem back to the start. bad parenting skills.:ermm:

exrider123
06-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by JHForman250R
Done deal !! them damn tree hugers !! if they ban i say we all show up at thier doorstep on our quad and show them how many people really ride !! is this all comeing about because of the recent number of deaths? well all the deaths i have read about lately have been cause of the dumb arse rider!! 12 year olds on Raptor no helmet and unsuporvised WTF !!

I'm with you JHForman250R and just sent the e-mail and petition

06-07-2003, 03:07 PM
i emailed them last night, didnt someone say that the hearings were very fair and stuff and that the cpsc werent anti safety they just wanna take a look at whats going on because there has been a increase in injuries and stuff

jmoney45
06-07-2003, 03:12 PM
those rat bastages. i just sent one too.

Chanman420q
06-07-2003, 03:20 PM
i sent one :grr:

EDIT id like people to think about what i wrote, im gunna post my email, i think its an important thing to bring to there attention, i say fight fire with fire

hello, im wroting you an email about the banning of ATVs, no thats not it, trying to stop younger fulks from riding. This is BS. its not your decision how old people have to be at riding. Anytime someone gets on an ATV there taking the risk of getting hurt, and not getting hurt, there are things you can do to prevent ingery. Even in a car people are taking the risk of getting hurt. and more times than not its the riders/drivers/passagers neglagants to follow safety procations. Thats no diffrant than saying people under 18 cant even be in a car because some people dont wear a seat belt. Seriously think about that.

born-to-race
06-07-2003, 03:51 PM
For me should I take out American and put Canadian?

Also, it says to hand the petition in by June 2. Is it to late to hand one in? And what part of the petition do you fill out?

Thanks for the help.

Mxbubs
06-07-2003, 03:59 PM
NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 3, 2003
Release # 03-136 CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: Bruce Richardson, (301) 504-7908

35 Witnesses Set to Testify at CPSC Regional ATV Safety Hearing in West Virginia - ATV Injuries Double in 5-Year Period, Deaths Continue To Climb
WASHINGTON D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says that 35 witnesses have registered to testify about all-terrain vehicle (ATV) safety at the commission's regional public hearing to be held in Morgantown, W.Va., on June 5, 2003. Estimated ATV-related injuries in the U.S. have doubled in a recent 5-year period and deaths also continue to climb.

The 35 witnesses include medical doctors, injury prevention researchers, ATV dealers, ATV riders, consumer safety advocates, and families of victims from ATV-related crashes.

"The diversity of views is exactly what we want to hear at the ATV safety hearing," said CPSC Chairman Hal Stratton. "We are concerned about the disproportionate increase in the number of deaths and injuries associated with ATV use in recent years, and we hope the hearing will help us understand the causes of these deaths and injuries."

ATV injuries requiring an emergency room visit increased by 104 percent from an estimated 54,700 in 1997 to 111,700 in 2001. In 2001, about a third of these victims were under 16 years old. In this same period the estimated number of ATV drivers increased 36 percent, driving hours grew 50 percent and the number of ATVs increased 40 percent, according to a recent commission analysis.

For 1999, the last year for which death records are substantially complete, the commission has reports of 357 people who died as a result of ATV use, up from 251 in 1998 and 241 in 1997.

The 35 witnesses who will testify at the June 5 hearing come from West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Idaho, New Hampshire, California, Montana, and South Carolina.

"West Virginia and Pennsylvania ranked in the top six states for ATV-related deaths between 1982 and 2001," Stratton said, "so it makes sense to hold a hearing in that area." (Pennsylvania and West Virginia recorded 264 and 194 deaths, respectively, in that period. Ohio recorded 124 deaths and Maryland 25 deaths.)

"The field hearing gives local people a voice and an opportunity to participate when they otherwise might not have been able if we limited our hearings to Washington D.C.," Stratton said.

The Consumer Federation of America and other groups petitioned the commission in September 2002 to ban the sale of adult-size, four-wheel ATVs sold for the use of children under the age of 16. The commission sought written public comments on the petition from October 2002 through March 16, 2003. The West Virginia hearing will provide an additional opportunity for the public to express its views about this petition.

The hearing is from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University Health Sciences Campus, in Morgantown.

300exracer
06-07-2003, 04:01 PM
We should be able to get the point across to them. I sent mine.:D Here it is;)

Hi, my name is Keith. I have learned that the CPSC is currently considered banning the legal use and or production of atvs, aka four wheelers. It troubles me deeply as a free American citizen that the CPSC would even consider taking away RIGHTS from free Americans. These groups that are pushing the ban have the RIGHT not to participate. THEY NOR YOU have the right to take our rights away. Atving is a wonderful sport, and like all sports, people do get hurt. If you dont like it, dont participate. I have one more thing to add. I am 5ft 10in tall and I am also 15 and you guys say that I should be on something below 90cc's! Well I would probibly have one if my knees didnt go over the handle bars. Please dont band atvs! This sport is probily one of the most popular sports around! Thank you for your time.

Mxbubs
06-07-2003, 04:03 PM
These are the Jackasses looking out for mine and your well being.

http://www.consumerfed.org/

Mxbubs
06-07-2003, 04:09 PM
I probably shouldnt do this, but this is the General leading the army against atvs.

Rachel Weintraub

I know for a fact this is her cell number. (Came of their website)
Blow it up....hehe.
202-904-4953

There was another possible in Virginia, she is in Washington DC, so Im pretty sure this is our girl.:D :rolleyes: :eek:

Use this information how you will, just dont involve me.:D

God I love the internet.

toby400ex
06-07-2003, 04:27 PM
i downloaded it but word and notepad wont open it, what do i do:confused:

Dave400ex
06-07-2003, 04:29 PM
Done deal. They are crazy for even thinking about banning ATV's. Everybody get calling...

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Sent..

phatswinn
06-07-2003, 05:32 PM
i called today and as soon and i said why are you trying she hung up... but she paid 95 cents for the collect call:devil:

Interceptor
06-07-2003, 05:49 PM
but she paid 95 cents for the collect call

:D BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

They can try and take my quad..... from my cold, dead hands. I enjoy riding my quad, and these people aren't going to come between me and my favorite(and only) sport I enjoy.

user101
06-07-2003, 06:14 PM
i just called the numbers.
its 12:17 here in mississippi so its like 2 am in washington:devil:

jamiesel
06-08-2003, 05:27 AM
Hi all,

I think it would be worthwhile to list what these people want so that there moves will be recognized in the larger sence.

#1. There is a love for big government

#2. There is an attack on the family. These people think that kids should belong to the government they resent that the parents call the shots.

#3. They don't want people to feel free. People who know freedom, fight for freedom. We are losing this and fast. I have been to russia people. What you see there is huge appartment buildings so the government could watch over them and rule them easily. Very little sprawl, you don't see people using the vast vast amounts of land that are virtually unused and ready for the government do use for themselves.

#4. Disengenuous motives. I would not be surprized if these groups take this to the courts and WIN if they can't move this council.

#5. Enviromental groups posing as safety gurus using back door tecniques. They are chipping away at our sport. They know a frontal assault would not bear fruit during the current administration. Have you seen Bush on his quad?

#6. They know that is they can hit this sport while it is in it's infancy, the manufactures will not have the heart to see it thru and flourish as motorcycles have. Nature geeks are furious about offroad motorcycles. They want all the public land to themselves.

Here are some good steps to take, first of all to not cooperate with them, and secondly fight there tactics.

#1. Labor Unions's = if you are in a labor union, insist that they don't support left wing democrats who always love taxes and big governments.

Labor unions are totaly in bed with the left and part of the enviromentalist cooalition that gets their candidates elected and there judges appointed through them.

#2. Actively write letters to your elected representatives and president and his employees. They do actually read these and count them. If they see concern, they know they could lose there jobs if word spreads that they are not representing our best interests. If you take the time to write you will certainly take the time to vote and tell others what you are writing in your workplace while on the clock;)

#4. Especially during administrations like Bushes, go over these peoples heads! Let the Presidents staff know how much you like him steming the liberal tide and tell them that these enviro big government fold are at it again trying to use his administration in a back door fasion to take away much desired freedoms.

president@whitehouse.gov

Remind HIM that it was under his fathers administration that 3 wheelers were banned!!! Believe me, this will get his attention, he is trying very hard to undo many mistakes his father made like logging here in oregon.

I have more put will post later. I don't want to create fatigue. This is a serious threat and will REQUIRE your action to overcome.

Ryan
06-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Well I guess we gotta e-mail the President now :confused2 . Im going to send one right now.....

Thanks for the info, jamiesel.

kawiman273
06-08-2003, 01:43 PM
i dont think this ban will be seen through because even if congress approves it bush can veto it.

bush is a texan, i guaruntee he has a few quads hanging around his home in texas!

Mxbubs
06-08-2003, 02:00 PM
LOL......it doesnt go to Congres...hehehehe...

Sorry man, that was just funny.

The suckers in the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which is a federal entity, has the power to make rules and regulation pertaining to atvs and many other things.

Ryan
06-08-2003, 02:34 PM
I e-mailed that chick 20 times saying "A-hole!" LMFAO:D

Rastus
06-08-2003, 02:56 PM
Mailed mine.

Hi i'm (your name here)First, I would like to say that by banning ATV's ( aka fourwheelers ) you would only be punishing the multitudes of law abiding ATVers. I believe it should be the parents decision whether his son or daughter should be allowed ATVing. NOT a group looking to ban peoples rights and freedoms. Maybe the people there should actually try AVTing, because all I hear about in the news is people who have never ridden an ATV in there life trying to get ATV's banned. Maybe you should look at the good things ATVing installs into individuals. Like helping Farmers produce crops, search teams finding the missing girl/boy, parents teaching their kids respect of things around them. Also, helping hunters get access to trails, and hauling the catch back. They help fire fighters and law enforcement to get closer to the fire, and find a quicker way to the criminals house. I really don't get why you want to ban it to people under 21. Lets see....I can die for this country at 21, I can drink beer at 21, I can legally drive at 16....but I can only ride a 90cc ATV, or not get to drive one at all. Please look back, and realize that this is a slap in the face to people, and their rights and freedoms.

I can't help but notice some groups trying to take our freedoms away because they don't agree with us. Maybe they need a lesson of respecting other peoples beliefs to make this country and world a better place, rather than trying to blame and ban the respectful people, and their hobbies.

Sorry that it's kind of long, but maybe it will slow them down by reading it :D

crazybuffalo
06-08-2003, 03:25 PM
mines sent

crazybuffalo
06-08-2003, 03:25 PM
mines sent

Plante400
06-08-2003, 03:51 PM
You know what all this is doing is its gonna be bringing the criminal rate up higher because ill be riding my wheelr as long as a want.
:mad:

06-08-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Plante400
You know what all this is doing is its gonna be bringing the criminal rate up higher because ill be riding my wheelr as long as a want.
:mad:

yep, theyd have to shoot me oof of mine!

CowsBitePeople
06-09-2003, 12:39 AM
ima send out 2 from both my emails

nutcase
06-09-2003, 01:12 AM
sent mine

cabex
06-09-2003, 06:06 AM
sent!

TheChknhwk
06-09-2003, 06:47 AM
My email is sent, and I have printed the other one to send in too.

06-09-2003, 06:56 AM
Keep sending those letters because theres power in numbers and politicians are first interested in getting reelected and secondly in making the people happy so numbers talk in two directions.

Remember that the csps is a federal entity that needs to research many different issues to validate their existance so they are most interested in remaining in a job etc, but the various enviro groups have a deffinate agenda and thats to keep our citizens out of our natural lands so its avail for them and their buddies.

I had received a email that listed comments made by one of the federal investigators and he had said to the effect of "I cant understand why the enviro people are so interested in OHV safety at all since there missions seems to be eliminating them". So I guess there not fooling anyone at all, but we need to keep the fed types on their toes so we dont get thrown out of our sport.

TheChknhwk
06-09-2003, 07:03 AM
I got the following canned response from them:

Hello,

We have forwarded your request for information to the appropriate agency personnel. If additional information is needed, someone from the agency will be in contact with you.

Please be advised that you may obtain CPSC publications, recalls and general safety related information via our web site at www.cpsc.gov. Click on the "Search" icon and type in your topic. You may also file an incident report via the web site mentioned above. If you have additional inquiries, you may call our toll-free hotline at 1-800-638-2772, Monday - Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, Eastern Standard Time. Press 1 to begin and then press 300 to speak with a representative.

tm

CowsBitePeople
06-09-2003, 07:09 AM
I sent out 2 emails from different addresses and got that same email back for both :p

trueblue450
06-09-2003, 07:13 AM
come on guys cursing them out only makes you and the rest of the atvers look foolish..

zoom400ex
06-09-2003, 08:39 AM
sent mine

Yellow Nuts
06-09-2003, 10:32 AM
k i sent mien in :D

OutlawEX
06-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by 300EX_Man
come on guys cursing them out only makes you and the rest of the atvers look foolish..

balla250ex
06-09-2003, 11:25 AM
I sent mine! ;)

DEAL
06-09-2003, 11:57 AM
Stuff like this really pisses me off.
The laws now a dayz are so stupid , Kids can go out shooting , beating up each other in gangs, breaking into houses, cars , stealing cars ... (or Atvs)
Yet they are trying to make laws to ban atvs ......
Why don't they make laws that put these little trouble makers in jail....
It pisses me off so much.
It really just came to my attention this weekend when I was stoped by the police while crossing a road. I was taking my time, I didn't try to run. I had a helmet on, In my mind i wasn't doing anything wrong. I was just out enjoying myself and not hurting anyone (atleast I don't think so)
But the police decide to treat me like a criminal and put me in the back of the cop car for 45 minutes asking me questions, I wasn't even aloud to get out to show them where the cerial # was on my quad :rolleyes: . sad to say I walked away with a $160 fine for something stupid.
Well... while I'm sitting in the car the little ******* that broke into my house a few months back walks by and smiles at me :mad:
The cops have the evidence now to charge him or put him in jail. They were suposed to arrest him a month ago, But they didn't have "time" to get him... and all this time hes out causing trouble.
Like wtf....
Sorry it may be a little off topic but I'm hoping someone can relate to me here.
People need to spend less time trying to get rid of things like Atvs that give people so much enjoyment and more time putting these little *******s that comit real crimes in jail.
They seem to think the banning is for our saftey or something don't they?
I'd feel much safer in a community overun with atvs then a bunch of teenage criminals.
I don't have two video cameras and a security system in my house and shed because of atvs... (well to protect them)

Blysster
06-09-2003, 11:59 AM
Sent mine too.

Why don't these people start going after the tobacco industry instead?! :grr:

I'm sure their fancy stats will show that it kills alot more people.

MXQUAD294
06-09-2003, 01:41 PM
Here's what I sent:

To whom it may concern:

I am truly saddened to learn that the CPSC is in favor of banning and/or restricting the use of ATV's. As your fellow American, I beg you to use common sense when making decisions that may have an effect on my rights. US Soldiers have died on foreign soil to protect my freedoms- even those as simple as riding an ATV. People will get hurt on ATVs, this is an undeniable fact. However, it is my right to get hurt if I so choose. The majority of the people that are injured while using ATVs are not operating them properly and/or are not wearing suitable safety equipment. This you probably already know from the data in which you are basing the proposed bans. But like most other common activities (i.e.. baseball, football, mountain biking, etc.), injuries and even death are, at times, unavoidable. So based off of common sense, if you ban one, logically, you should ban them all.
Let common sense lead the way.
Respectfully yours,

Tim Koenigseder
Barling, AR

Regulator 250X
06-09-2003, 02:07 PM
mines sent

daveo2006
06-09-2003, 03:18 PM
i sent mine in!! i hate them stupid tree huggers. because if they look at their stats kids get killed on playsets at a park then people do riding ATV's i think this is a stupid move they are trying to make. and all the people in the ATV world will stand up and they will not make it any farther!!!!!! ATVERS UNITE!!!

PHIL_B54
06-09-2003, 03:18 PM
mine too

iride440ex
06-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Done

iride440ex
06-10-2003, 05:39 AM
Did anybody see this come on people send your E-mail to them we need to fight this.:mad:
Tony

NEWS from CPSC
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission
Office of Information and Public Affairs Washington, DC 20207

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
June 3, 2003
Release # 03-136 CPSC Consumer Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: Bruce Richardson, (301) 504-7908

35 Witnesses Set to Testify at CPSC Regional ATV Safety Hearing in West Virginia - ATV Injuries Double in 5-Year Period, Deaths Continue To Climb
WASHINGTON D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says that 35 witnesses have registered to testify about all-terrain vehicle (ATV) safety at the commission's regional public hearing to be held in Morgantown, W.Va., on June 5, 2003. Estimated ATV-related injuries in the U.S. have doubled in a recent 5-year period and deaths also continue to climb.

The 35 witnesses include medical doctors, injury prevention researchers, ATV dealers, ATV riders, consumer safety advocates, and families of victims from ATV-related crashes.

"The diversity of views is exactly what we want to hear at the ATV safety hearing," said CPSC Chairman Hal Stratton. "We are concerned about the disproportionate increase in the number of deaths and injuries associated with ATV use in recent years, and we hope the hearing will help us understand the causes of these deaths and injuries."

ATV injuries requiring an emergency room visit increased by 104 percent from an estimated 54,700 in 1997 to 111,700 in 2001. In 2001, about a third of these victims were under 16 years old. In this same period the estimated number of ATV drivers increased 36 percent, driving hours grew 50 percent and the number of ATVs increased 40 percent, according to a recent commission analysis.

For 1999, the last year for which death records are substantially complete, the commission has reports of 357 people who died as a result of ATV use, up from 251 in 1998 and 241 in 1997.

The 35 witnesses who will testify at the June 5 hearing come from West Virginia, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Idaho, New Hampshire, California, Montana, and South Carolina.

"West Virginia and Pennsylvania ranked in the top six states for ATV-related deaths between 1982 and 2001," Stratton said, "so it makes sense to hold a hearing in that area." (Pennsylvania and West Virginia recorded 264 and 194 deaths, respectively, in that period. Ohio recorded 124 deaths and Maryland 25 deaths.)

"The field hearing gives local people a voice and an opportunity to participate when they otherwise might not have been able if we limited our hearings to Washington D.C.," Stratton said.

The Consumer Federation of America and other groups petitioned the commission in September 2002 to ban the sale of adult-size, four-wheel ATVs sold for the use of children under the age of 16. The commission sought written public comments on the petition from October 2002 through March 16, 2003. The West Virginia hearing will provide an additional opportunity for the public to express its views about this petition.

The hearing is from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at the Robert C. Byrd Health Sciences Center, West Virginia University Health Sciences Campus, in Morgantown.

---

Send the link for this page to a friend! The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency's jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard or can injure children. The CPSC's work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals - contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

DEAL
06-10-2003, 11:29 AM
Why don't they ban cars? How many people get killed in cars every year :rolleyes:
or like Blysster said ... Tobacco...
I I could easily live without tobacco and so could many other people.

Ryan
06-10-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by FreeStylexrider
Why don't they ban cars? How many people get killed in cars every year :rolleyes:
or like Blysster said ... Tobacco...
I I could easily live without tobacco and so could many other people.

I agree. But the goverment is making to much money off of Tobacco. And if they banned cars, there would be no good form of transportation.

But I do understand the point you are trying to make.

If enough of us keep sending these letters, it will give us more rights to save ATV's in general :cool: .

GNCC#829
06-10-2003, 01:34 PM
PLEASE GUYS!! Make sure that you act professional and mature(even if you aren't;) ) Being an A-hole only adds to their argument.

bmw500hp
06-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Whenever opposition presents as vehemently as those who choose to bad atv's we need to look past the "bleeding hearts" of the word and find out who is either planning on profiting or is loosing money to sport. Normally all bills are secretely or even apparently driven by these motives...as are products and services!

In this case, what is evident to date are loss of profits by insurance companies....

Lets try to get some detail and determine who we are "really doing battle with"!

It is very necessary to know your opponent..remember, keep your friends close and your enemies closer....AND Figures lie and liers figure!

So, that being said, we shall, as FOX news does arm ourselves to expose and condemn those who seek to profit by attempting to diminish our sport!

JD400exrider
06-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I would bet if you traced this back far enough the insurance companies are somewhere in the picture and may even be somewhat behind this. They have a hand or leg in just about everything.

I have not seen anywhere where they are going to ban atvs. They are looking into banning the sales of large atvs to minors. The majority of the deaths and injuries are kids under 16 years old. If you like it or not the CPSC 's job is to look at just about everything from Happy meal toys to gas furnaces in your home and if they find a death or injury is an ongoing occurence they are going to step in and take a look. You may think the CPSC is bunch of crap. They have a purpose and a very good one. Like it or not. I see the amount of products they look at and the amount of bogus / dangerous products they keep out of our hands and our kids hands. Because I own a building inspection company I subscribe to e mails every day from them on possible recalled items. They keep many large companys in check on building safe products.

With a problem as the atv it is not a manufacture deffect, fire hazard, or a company hiding facts about a defect.
It is young kids sometimes to young riding to large of bike and riding beyond there level, riding with no helmet, no gear. Basicly riding stupid or beyond there level. Parents not doing there job in some cases. The problem with a ban is there are 15-16 year olds that are dam good riders better than riders twice their age. They have learned at an early age under supervision (most of the time) They are the ones that loose in any age type ban.

Believe me i do not like this in anyway, but if you do not want to see a complete ban (like the three wheelers) There will lickely be some give and take.

When you e mail them e mail them with some facts. Don't start cursing them and talking a buch of crap. That will only make you and all the other atvers look stupid. We will get no where ;)

sparks400
06-11-2003, 03:19 PM
i sent one, i dont think its right either i went to a race tonight and everyone was having a gr8 time.

06-11-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I would bet if you traced this back far enough the insurance companies are somewhere in the picture and may even be somewhat behind this. They have a hand or leg in just about everything.

I have not seen anywhere where they are going to ban atvs. They are looking into banning the sales of large atvs to minors. The majority of the deaths and injuries are kids under 16 years old. If you like it or not the CPSC 's job is to look at just about everything from Happy meal toys to gas furnaces in your home and if they find a death or injury is an ongoing occurence they are going to step in and take a look. You may think the CPSC is bunch of crap. They have a purpose and a very good one. Like it or not. I see the amount of products they look at and the amount of bogus / dangerous products they keep out of our hands and our kids hands. Because I own a building inspection company I subscribe to e mails every day from them on possible recalled items. They keep many large companys in check on building safe products.

With a problem as the atv it is not a manufacture deffect, fire hazard, or a company hiding facts about a defect.
It is young kids sometimes to young riding to large of bike and riding beyond there level, riding with no helmet, no gear. Basicly riding stupid or beyond there level. Parents not doing there job in some cases. The problem with a ban is there are 15-16 year olds that are dam good riders better than riders twice their age. They have learned at an early age under supervision (most of the time) They are the ones that loose in any age type ban.

Believe me i do not like this in anyway, but if you do not want to see a complete ban (like the three wheelers) There will lickely be some give and take.

When you e mail them e mail them with some facts. Don't start cursing them and talking a buch of crap. That will only make you and all the other atvers look stupid. We will get no where ;)

Yes they are beneficial but I think americans in general are sick and tired of "too much govt control on everything".

And dont forget the current legal age limits on atv size and use. If parents arent concerned enough to get the right info and training etc now what the $@#$ is a new law going to do besides fund the attorneys and the system.