PDA

View Full Version : First Valve Adjustment

Alberta EX
01-06-2002, 06:38 AM
My first valve adjustment went pretty well thanks to the EX-tech posting on how to do it yourself, I only had a slight adjustment on each valve....Thanks a bunch!!!
The only problem I had was when I went to start the bike back up
it did not run wery well for the first 10 minutes, I assume thats because I had the tank off and some air got into the fuel lines, it started right up but then stuttered and stalled a bunch. It seems OK now, I am pretty sure everything went back on the carb OK.
Is this a common problem after a valve adjustment?

sduncan
01-06-2002, 11:17 AM
I just did mine also. It takes more time to get all the plastic off than to do the actual adjustment. The info on this site was a big help. I did'nt have the startup problems you mentioned. Mine fired right up and sounded a lot better. Seemed a little "crisper" when I rode it too.

carlj75
01-06-2002, 01:12 PM
When are you supposed to do your first adjustment?

barbwire44
01-07-2002, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by carlj75
When are you supposed to do your first adjustment?

I'm pretty sure you should do the first adjustment at around 500 - 600 hours when you do the first oil change and have worn out two sets of rear tires, and have enough slop in the chain to remove and clean it without loosening a bolt. lol j/k.:D

MOFO
01-09-2002, 03:55 PM
LOL.....you have that confused with the oil change. Only change your oil every 500-600 hours or when you run out of oil (whichever comes first). The valves are done at approx 2,000 hours. LOL.

Seriously though, I would do them atleast twice a year...depending on how much you ride it. I try to adjust/check mine every 50 hours (approx). If its your first adjustment, I would atleast check them after your 1st or 2nd oil change. Then get yourself on a rough schedule. It cant hurt to check them too much.... :D

Eric