PDA

View Full Version : Predator vs. Z400

250EXstud
06-06-2003, 04:19 PM
Hey guys i need a new bike. Honda is taking to long. ( I still may get it though when it comes out) This our my 2 choices. I don't think i will get the new yamaha. So give me your opinion. O buy the way i will be racing it.

skemp
06-06-2003, 08:27 PM
Predator
As far as I see it, it is better in most aspects compared to a Z400. Those things are pretty awesome stock.

batgeek
06-06-2003, 08:33 PM
agree. price for performance go with the Pred.

and i ride a KFX400, so thats gotta mean something eh? :D

06-07-2003, 03:36 AM
go with the predator they are awesome stock quads.

RuffRyder400ex
06-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by bobby88
go with the predator they are awesome stock quads.

SuzukiRacr07
06-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Go w/ the Z..... the pred is uncomfortable.... and the Z is cheaper and when you spend the same amount of money on the Z as you would have bought the pred for stock..... the Z will be better than the pred.... the Z already beats a pred tillike mid high 4th gear and you want all ur power in the low gears...... see of u can tes ride them to see which one you like better

Ryan
06-07-2003, 12:16 PM
I would go with the lt-z400. The preditor seat is really uncomfortable and odd shaped :huh . The Preditor is about 415 pounds against 372 pounds (lt-z400). The front end is really heavy on the preditor, also.

The Preditor will smoke the lt-z400. But the z400 can be woken up quite a bit. Also, the suspension on the preditor is much better.

What type of riding are you going to do, anyways?

Fred55
06-07-2003, 12:23 PM
Actually, if you buy a Z (5600) and spend the difference in prices (Pred=6000), you only have 400 left......you cannot get a Z to perform like a Pred for 400. And its not hard to get a Pred for less than 6000. I got mine for 5600.

trailburner
06-07-2003, 02:18 PM
I agree with [fred55!!] last weekend I went riding one of my buds had a raptor the other a pred, they went at it on black top from a 2-gear roll to wide open & the pred beat the raptor buy about half a quad length....I was very inpressed with the preditor!!!

250EXstud
06-07-2003, 03:50 PM
I ride trails and will race gncc with it.

newjacksm
06-07-2003, 04:55 PM
preditor is not made for the trails

Z is made for GNCC and XC and MX not stock though your gonna have to dump money into it :-P either way your going to spend u money.. Oh and you can buy Z400's for 4900 - 4995 ... I know couple of places 1 place is about 10 miles from me aswell

06-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Like i said before, predator stock is great. It already has awesome shocks, Z you will have to buy some different ones! You will have to dump money into the Z's engine! Oh and the Predators frames dont snap!

Doibugu2
06-08-2003, 06:25 AM
If your going to trail ride I would get the Z strickly for the reverse.

I rode in my first race yesterday and for whatever reason I was pulling on the Z's. All I have is a slip on my bike too. But I got stuck twice and reverse would have been a like saver. I was exhausted and trying to move that quad around was a pain.

There were a couple of preditors there and one of them was having problems. He kept stopping and looking at the engine every couple of miles. Not sure what was wrong with his quad.

But I was very impressed with my Honda. Stock form its awesome. If I were you, I would buy a used honda and save a grand or so and buy aftermarket shocks. I know my Elka's paid for them selves this race.

danyeo
06-08-2003, 08:53 AM
I know a few people that got Z's for 5000. If you can find one for that much that gives another 1000 to play with.

newjacksm
06-08-2003, 09:37 AM
ehh place by me sells em for 4900

QuadJunkies
06-08-2003, 07:08 PM
Well I m a bit biass, but if you mosyl trail then I think you would be happy with the Z. Its all in prefernce. You any anyone you cann try out both quads and see which you like best? I have to say the Predator has been a big hit for us..Worth EVERY dime.....:)

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
06-09-2003, 09:20 AM
My predator rides fine on the trails except for snow!and thats when diff. tires would come into play!As for the price range I got my pred for $5200 OTD....So some people will give great deals! Iwould fully got with the Pred. I love mine!

KrazyKid300ex
06-09-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by newjacksm
preditor is not made for the trails

Z is made for GNCC and XC and MX not stock though your gonna have to dump money into it :-P either way your going to spend u money.. Oh and you can buy Z400's for 4900 - 4995 ... I know couple of places 1 place is about 10 miles from me aswell

MX not stock? my friend was killing smoe jumps at rausch creek with a stock KFX so i find that har to believe

VegasEx'r
06-09-2003, 11:24 AM
The Predator is a much better machine.

DUNE PREDATOR
06-09-2003, 11:45 AM
:devil: Z'S BEND & BRAKE!!!! BIG $$$$$

:D PREDATOR IS SOLID!!!

GO TO PREDATOROWNERS.COM AND READ THE PRO'S & CON'S

U CANT MAKE A CHOICE WITHOUT DOING SOME HOMEWORK!!

I DONT KNOW IF THE Z'SS GOT A WEB SITE 4 YOU YET?

:D

flyin#5
06-09-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Fred55
Actually, if you buy a Z (5600) and spend the difference in prices (Pred=6000), you only have 400 left......you cannot get a Z to perform like a Pred for 400. And its not hard to get a Pred for less than 6000. I got mine for 5600.

very well put. get the pred i hear there sweet. i dont think you should change your mind based on the seat:huh

newjacksm
06-10-2003, 12:16 AM
preds are starting to blow 4th gear

newjacksm
06-10-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by KrazyKid300ex
MX not stock? my friend was killing smoe jumps at rausch creek with a stock KFX so i find that har to believe

yeah i know im talking about racing it though :-D sorry for the mix up.............. I know the Z is good at MX and jumps stuff like that but not for racing stock

06-10-2003, 05:09 AM
preds are starting to blow 4th gear :eek2:

Fred55
06-10-2003, 05:25 AM
preds are starting to blow 4th gear

Hey, when you say stuff, back it up, where did you hear this, and dirtwheels doesnt count, nobody should beleive them. If Preds are blowing 4th, it would have been mentioned on Pred500central or Predatorowners, but it hasnt.

The Z frame is WEAK! check out the movie at Bluetraxx, the guy comes down on his front hard...but it wasnt that bad.....and the crack the frame TUBE, not the shock mounts, but the actual tubing of the frame.....the Zs frame seems to be barely strong enough to be sitting on the showroom floor.

newjacksm
06-10-2003, 07:28 AM
4th gear on the pred have been blowing, well i did see the video but the guy did other jumps to put stress on it, but guess what guesset the frame.................... or get an ftermarket one

Fred55
06-10-2003, 07:34 AM
If it is a problem among all machines (Raptors tranny and Z400s frame) People would know about it. Dirt wheels is the only place i have seen it, and i dont trust them enough to take any notice....they didnt even give the reason why, they just dont like
Polaris. If there was a problem, it would have been mentioned by other Pred owners on the forums.

ChuckMoe
06-10-2003, 08:08 AM
get one of each and post a review for us. :D

newjacksm
06-10-2003, 09:13 AM
wait let the predator be out for a year:o

Fred55
06-10-2003, 09:37 AM
Same with the Z, they are both 03's! :rolleyes:

Ryan
06-10-2003, 02:06 PM
They are both great machines, but I would go with the LTZ, IMO.

The one thing that holds me back from the preditor is, well, its over 450cc's which limit it to cetain classes in racing. And the weight of the quad.

I got some good seat time on a KFX400. I was pretty impressed. It especially worked well in the trails. The only thing I dislike about it, and I feel this on the Preditor too...... They are both pretty tall (seat hight and ground clearance). The KFX wasn't really too tippy, but kinda freaked me out making turns on high speeds. Speaking of the speed, it was pretty powerful to say the lease. I rode a few stock 400ex's and relized the kfz/ltz has good amout of power over the stock 400ex's.

QuadJunkies
06-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
They are both great machines, but I would go with the LTZ, IMO.

The one thing that holds me back from the preditor is, well, its over 450cc's which limit it to cetain classes in racing. And the weight of the quad.

I got some good seat time on a KFX400. I was pretty impressed. It especially worked well in the trails. The only thing I dislike about it, and I feel this on the Preditor too...... They are both pretty tall (seat hight and ground clearance). The KFX wasn't really too tippy, but kinda freaked me out making turns on high speeds. Speaking of the speed, it was pretty powerful to say the lease. I rode a few stock 400ex's and relized the kfz/ltz has good amout of power over the stock 400ex's. I should post a pic of my 400ex next to our Preddy, my seat feels taller than the preddy.....:eek: it feels stiffer and isnt as comfy, but heck how can you judge a quad by a seat? You can always have the padding done different,that would be the last of my concern.... I have to say, I have seen a few post about 4th in there Preddys, Im not gonna make up stuff, but your gonna havce things here and there go wrong with ANY new quad, and there after too... So far Ive had mothing but good things on my PReddy and on trails, heck, it schools alot thats out there on trails and you point it, it goes....... with all four on the ground.. ITs all a preferece guys and gals, The Z is a god choice also.. You really should just go out and try a test ride on both....