PDA

View Full Version : FST oil cooler???

Glamis400ex
06-06-2003, 02:56 PM
Hey folks,

I tried a search on this but couldn't get to much to come up.

Where can I find one online and can I do the work myself? Will this benifit the 416?

Glamis

29FTEX
06-06-2003, 04:28 PM
check your PM

bmw500hp
06-08-2003, 08:24 AM
I have one glamis but have not installed cause havent done the build yet...you can do it yourself but there are some fine points to cover..do your homework first. Location of taps and epoxy of bearing are 2 areas to research. Search again under *fst*.

F-16Guy
06-08-2003, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
I have one glamis but have not installed cause havent done the build yet...you can do it yourself but there are some fine points to cover..do your homework first. Location of taps and epoxy of bearing are 2 areas to research. Search again under *fst*.
I don't recommend gluing a check ball into the oil passage, they are known to come loose and end up rolling around next to your cam. I drilled and tapped the oil passage on the case where the base gasket sits (cylinder removed) to accept a set screw that is slightly larger than the passage. Only drill and tap down far enough to make the set screw flush with the gasket surface. Install set screw with loc-tite, and you'll never have any problems. Anything you can do to make this bike run cooler is a good investment.

L.Vegas400
06-08-2003, 08:49 AM
f-16.. do you have any pics of this set screw install? if not can you edit a pic with where you put it. im gonna do this while i am into it for the 416. any help is apriciated(sp?)

F-16Guy
06-08-2003, 09:02 AM
No pics, but it's very simple to do. When you take the cylinder off, you'll see the hole on the right side, just outside of the slot for the timing chain. There's lots of meat around the hole, so you don't have to be a surgeon when you drill and tap it. Buy the drill bit/tap combo and a matching allen head set screw (a little larger than the oil passage) from your local hardware store. Put a piece of tape on the drill bit that matches the length of the set screw so you know how deep to go. Carefully drill, tap, and install the set screw with a little loc-tite. The set screw only needs to be about 1/4" long.

bmw500hp
06-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
I don't recommend gluing a check ball into the oil passage, they are known to come loose and end up rolling around next to your cam. I drilled and tapped the oil passage on the case where the base gasket sits (cylinder removed) to accept a set screw that is slightly larger than the passage. Only drill and tap down far enough to make the set screw flush with the gasket surface. Install set screw with loc-tite, and you'll never have any problems. Anything you can do to make this bike run cooler is a good investment.

F-16, thanks! great improvision........

F-16Guy
06-08-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
F-16, thanks! great improvision........
I can't take credit for that, I'm just passing on some good info.:)