PDA

View Full Version : New Info on the CPSC ATV BAN procedings

BigAl
06-06-2003, 02:55 PM
I stole the following post from ********.com by motochicksmom:

Talking with Rich from Hetrick racing today. He and some others went to the Consumer Product Safety Committee hearings on the possibilty of banning ATV's. THIS IS SERIOUS FOLKS, you may think it will only affect us in the youth classes but there is also consideration of banning all riders under the age of 21. That's most of the riders in the national series, almost ALL of the riders at your local tracks. The groups we are up against are strong---2-3 times the petitions signed to ban the ATV's compared to our group supporting ATV's.
We need help.....NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are not ruling on this until July 5th now, the safety committee needed time to review data. Please urge everyone you know with any interest in quads to e-mail in their support of quads.
I was hoping to find an e-mail addy for a site specifically addressed for this issue. But I just did a search for the Public Safety committee and got www.cpsc.gov.
I am writing them in support of our youth classes and youth riders locally. We need all the help we can get. I am hoping Doug Morris will report more on what was brought up on the meeting as I am only repeating a small portion of the options the committee is considering. And my head was spinning after hearing some of the possibilties.
We need everyone and their mother, father, sister, brother, aunt, uncle to write to support our sport.
Any one with more info than me can join this post to explain more and how serious this is. Also forward this notice to every site concerning atv's that you know of. There are so many sites you guys know about that I don't.
Pass this along to all you know and ask them to do something about it! Come the 5th of July- Our youth classes might be no more, but are they going to stop there? Why risk it? LET OUR VOICE BE HEARD! We have less than one month guys.......

Ryan
06-06-2003, 03:00 PM
I have wrote letters to them pryer to this.

These people are horrible. I am wondering if the Manufactor companies such as Yamaha, Suzuki (ect) will back us up.

There must be some way to fight them!

Please send your letters people.......

Nausty
06-06-2003, 03:00 PM
i'm starting to wounder if this country really is a free country sometimes. Its no ones fault if you crash but your own. Is all these bans are doing is making it so people don't have to watch their own arses.

Ryan
06-06-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
i'm starting to wounder if this country really is a free country sometimes. Its no ones fault if you crash but your own. Is all these bans are doing is making it so people know have to watch their own arses.

I agree.

Anyways, I just sent out another letter to them.

Ryan
06-06-2003, 03:42 PM
bump:ermm:

06-06-2003, 03:48 PM
i dotn think this country is has as many personaly freedoms as some other countries we have more liberties and stuff but are lives are all controlled by government its ridiculous

06-06-2003, 03:55 PM
man that makes me so mad:mad:

yettiatcpg
06-06-2003, 04:06 PM
I did not know how up to date your forum was with this issue, so if you would like to get the low down on the rights of atv's in this country , keep reading

originaly posted by Damocles in highlifter

I attended the hearing personally; I offer a comment about the stories: Newspaper reporters have deadlines; sometimes, as I suspect in this case, reporters must necessarily leave before the ballgame they're covering is over to file their stories in time to make the press run for the next newspaper edition. When this happens, the final score isn't in the story, although the game is over.

The hearings lasted from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., approximately; from the newspaper story links, I calculate the reporters left before lunch (Mr. Hagie, the last witness quoted, was the last speaker before the lunch break). Thus, the newspaper articles are incomplete, regarding the content and sum total of the hearing.

The first article appears heavily influenced by early testimony; less so, the second one--apparently, reportage stopped, the reporters left, before a number of significant and credible ATV supporters testified; e.g., representatives of the West Virginia Recreational Vehicle Association; the American Motorcyclist Association; the Pennsylvania Off-Highway Vehicle Association; the ATV Safety Institute; the National Off Highway Vehicle Conservation Council; the Blue Ribbon Coalition; Hatfield-McCoy Trails; to name a few.

Most significantly, the newspaper reporters apparently left before Doug Morris, Director, ATVA, testified--informing the Commissioners of the Utah ATV training system, where age-displacement guidelines are ignored, replaced by a common-sense approach--can the rider reach all the controls? Can the rider steer and stop the ATV competently? Does the rider have the developmental skills to operate and understand the functioning of the ATV? If so, the rider receives the training and certification, regardless of his age or of his ATV's displacement. Mr. Morris provided significant data from the program; of the thousands of ATV riders trained under the Utah system; NOT ONE ATV-related fatality has been recorded among its graduates.

Chairman Stratton specifically asked Director Morris if he wished to submit the 1300 petitions, received by mail in the few days before the hearing, to the Commission. Mr. Morris asked for an extension of time, to the 30-day deadline, to accommodate petitions from others expected. (So, if you haven't sent in your signed copy of the petition yet; you still have time--click on http://www.atvaonline.com/index.asp , download the petition, and send it in--the Commission is interested in your opinion; the Chairman specifically ASKED for it; each individual can still make a difference, if you will go to this effort).

Mr. Morris represented the ATVA membership, carrying a brief for all ATVers, presenting a persuasive and logical case for sensible action, preserving ATVing as a continuing activity. His remarks were well-received by the Commissioners, as were his answers to the perceptive questions the Commisoners asked.

A word about the Commissioners--they appear to be reasonable people; not terrifically knowledgeable about ATVs, but, willing to learn--invited to take the ATV Safety Institute Riders Course, they reacted favorably towards the suggestion; I believe they take their work, SAFETY, seriously; and, I further believe they are honestly and sincerely seeking information to help them do their job. Thus, it is important for ATVers to provide them with correct and favorable information to counter the exaggerations, distortions, and, sadly, untruths the enemies of ATVing provide advancing their agenda (banning ALL ATVs; something the CPSC, in its power, can do; however, thanks to, among other things, the representation at this hearing, I do not forsee the CPSC taking this action, as they did in the case of the three-wheelers some years ago).

Inquiring minds want to know, but--the scope of the hearing, involving approximatlely 35 witnesses, exceeds this forum's capacity as appropriate media; look for more detailed reports and analyses elsewhere.

Bottom line:

* The CPSC has an open mind on ATV safety, in my opinion.

* The interests of ATVers were well-served by the representatives testifying before the CPSC.

* If you haven't sent in your signature for the ATVA petition, there's still time, and the CPSC will accept it.

Finally, I see no imminent threat to the absolute displacement of ATVs at this time; however, if this issue concerns you, notify the CPSC with your interest--misleading data was presented, regaring the increase in accidents from larger ATVs in recent years, without normalizing the data regarding the POPULATION INCREASE of big-bore ATVs in recent years--OF COURSE accidents with larger ATVs involved have increased recently, because--earlier, VERY FEW large-displacement ATVs even EXISTED. Thus, the Commission isn't working with meaningful data; possible if the accident rate is considered with respect to the population of large-displacement ATVs.

If you want to preserve your rights and privileges as an ATVer, I recommend you join and support ATVA and the organizations mentioned above; sign the petition and contact the CPSC with your own comments; and contact your elected representatives with a respectful and objective justification for ATVing. With united efforts, we can win!

please submite your pettion so it won't be a battle not fought.

cool 300ex
06-06-2003, 04:15 PM
Wow thanks!

RoadkillerRyan
06-06-2003, 04:18 PM
why is it that every time i try to get somthing i just DLed on Microsoft Word, it saids i have to encode it and none the the chooses work for me

"BLAHH"300!!
06-06-2003, 05:02 PM
"my oppinion"
i think atv's of our caliber SHOULD be limited to older rider's.
..no-one under 16?...a 16 yr old on a DS650?..nah, not my kid.
i don't think they should make the limit 21 yrs old..that's rediculas, 18yrs' old would be about right..

"i'm 18, i've graduated high school, i can vote, smoke ciggerets, and move outa my moms house,
but i can't ride a honda 300ex :( "

250cc should be the largest bike a 16yr old should be alowed to ride, with exeption's made for the blaster, and mojave
...18 and up after that..same goes for utility and sport model's.
..i know some of you are 15, and ride a 400ex, prolly ride one better than i can...i'm not talkin about you in particular, i'm thinkin' about that little city boy down the street, and all the other's like him across the U.S..
I don't know if i'd rather have my kid ride a 500lb 4wd monster, or a 350lb woods rockett...both could hurt a 16yr old easy.

(i can't wait untill tomarrow..blahh :blah: )

Nausty
06-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
"my oppinion"
i don't think they should make the limit 21 yrs old..that's rediculas, 18yrs' old would be about right..

"i'm 18, i've graduated high school, i can vote, smoke ciggerets, and move outa my moms house,

250cc should be the largest bike a 16yr old should be alowed to ride, with exeption's made for the blaster, and mojave
..i know some of you are 15, and ride a 400ex, prolly ride one better than i can...i'm not talkin about you in particular, i'm thinkin' about that little city boy down the street, and all the other's like him across the U.S..
I don't know if i'd rather have my kid ride a 500lb 4wd monster, or a 350lb woods rockett...both could hurt a 16yr old easy.

man i'm 16 and i'm pushing my 400ex to the limits and to be honest is probably to small for it with me being 6'2 and 190lbs and no way I could stand riding on a blaster and it would pry cause me to crash more often because its no wear near my size. That and i've been around motorcycles all my life so I know the dangers and relize how quickly things can go wrong. The parents should decide, its not the governments decision and actually i'm more responsible about wearing gear and riding practices than grown men twice my age that I know.

Glow Plug
06-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by "BLAHH"300!!
"my oppinion"

i agree with you in some ways but not in others. Yes i do think so quads are to big for 16 year olds but i think we need more of must be this tall to ride type of rule inseady of a age limit. I know some 16 year olds that are 6 foot or taller and some shorter than like 5'2. So LEAGALLY they could all ride a ds 650 or something but how many of then could properly handle it? Not to many.

And saying that you couldn't ride a quad bigger than 250 cc's before your 18 well thats crazy. I am 14 and nearing 6 foot tall and mabye 170 or so pounds and i am riding a bayou 220 my knees are almost touching the handle bars during conering tell me I be safer on that than i would be on a bigger machine? I don't think so.

QuadJunkies
06-06-2003, 08:18 PM
21 yrs old!!!! give me a break...... this just ticks me off like no other.....!!:mad: at 18 your old enough to fight for your country,driving a tank or flying a plane, your considered an adlult leagally at the age of 18 :rolleyes: ... I see plenty getting hurt on a pedal bike........ Im not going to even get started on this topic but the letter is on its way. Gosh what would my kids do w/o there pride and joy???:(

Evan
06-06-2003, 09:08 PM
If you ask me, our laziness has got the better of us. Not only are we to lazy to write in and stand up for our rights(which usally is the case, the good side lays low while the bad side takes over).
We are more interested in quads with electric start, which means its very easy for kids to start. I think this alone would cut down a majority of the underage riding. How many scrawny kids do you see being able to start a kick start yfz 450 or something like that, not many, and if they can start it, then they proably got the brains to ride it. If their parents start it for em, then hopefully the parents are standing there watching them. This is a big help to dirtbikes as most kids cant hold them up and start them at the same time, if they can, then they are proably big enough to ride and handle the bike. I know this would be a PITA for ute quads but the way I see it, maybe they could come up with something better.

DMH
06-07-2003, 06:27 AM
bump

TheRedRebel17
06-07-2003, 06:44 AM
I just dont see how a 15 year old can go and buy a 125cc two stroke dirtbike, but a 15 year old is only allowed to ride a 90cc atv.:confused:

Ryan
06-07-2003, 07:31 AM
yettiatcpg, thanks for the update!

Instead of some of us lying around this thread complaining...... I hope you are also sending in your letters with reasonable thoughts. We have a 30 day deadline to get those petitions in. LETS GET THEM IN PEOPLE!

Martin Blair
06-07-2003, 02:26 PM
if they ban it for riders under the age of 21 thats rediculas. your can vote at 18, you can get killed fighting a war at 18 but no you cant ride a 4wheeler until your 21 thats 6 more years for me, thats BS. im still riding.

06-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by TheRedRebel17
I just dont see how a 15 year old can go and buy a 125cc two stroke dirtbike, but a 15 year old is only allowed to ride a 90cc atv.:confused:

its totally different, u cant get into trouble as easy on a bike because they scare the **** out of u if u havent taken your time to get to know the bike

Martin Blair
06-07-2003, 04:39 PM
well if sometihing does happen i got a dirt bike picked out the new crf230fs my dad said if they ban them for people younger the 21 we can sell the 400 and get me a bike.

newjacksm
06-07-2003, 04:45 PM
before they ban atv's they should ban guns that kill a lot more people then quads do in a day

Brad
06-07-2003, 05:01 PM
I as a citizen to the united states of america firmly believe that our basic freedoms are being revolked as we watch and do nothing about it, think about how much they have done on gun control, the ammendment was made so that the people could rise in revolution ageanst their government if they tried to take it away. but no, no one has challenged anything, just sat back and watched as our rights as citizens are being taken away.

i sent a letter and an email on 2 different adresses

im fighting for this one