PDA

View Full Version : 400ex grips

01-05-2002, 09:46 PM
What's the best grips or personal preference for grips on the 400ex? My are due for a changing. Also, I noticed on the exploded parts picture there are some end caps on the handlebar ends. My 99 doesn't have these? Anyone know why?
John

400exJOE
01-05-2002, 11:13 PM
grips are a personal perference. If you like thick or thin grips, or hard or soft compound. Soft ones wear away faster. As for the end caps, my 2001 had them but the one always came loose and finally fell off. New grips will cover up the holes anyways. I don't have them on my renthals and i dont notice a difference. I'm not even sure why they bother putting them on.

01ytrx400ex
01-06-2002, 12:38 AM
This time of year it would be worth checking out Hotgrips. The are heated ATV/snowmobile grips that I swear by. It really sucks to have cold hands riding. Check them out they are worth the $$!!
www.hotgrips.comhttp://www.hotgrips.com/kw_black.jpg

Leo
01-06-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by quadindad
What's the best grips or personal preference for grips on the 400ex? My are due for a changing. Also, I noticed on the exploded parts picture there are some end caps on the handlebar ends. My 99 doesn't have these? Anyone know why?
John

Best bet on getting grips is to take a trip to the local shop and check out the various styles... The make so many different styles, in different compounds that it's really a matter of personal preference.

As far as the end caps, did you buy your 400EX new? Or is it possible that the previous owner replaced the grips, and left the end caps off?

Leo

NJ300ex
01-06-2002, 07:30 AM
make sure you get atv grips and not dirtbike grips.

01-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was looking at some soft compuond Renthal grips. The package says Mtn. bike/Watercraft grips also fits ATV. Are these the right size? It also said 7/8 diameter. Is that the stock handlebar diameter?
Yes, I bought my 400ex new, maybe I lost those end caps and didn't even notice. I don't think I'll replace them, they seem kind of unneccessary.
John

NJ300ex
01-06-2002, 09:39 AM
you should get medium compound renthals because the soft grips wear out in 2 months if you ride alot. That is the right bar size and if it says it fits atv it should be right. Ask them when you order them. Also if you get soft grips glue them and safety wire them on too because they don't hold very well on the bars.

Leo
01-06-2002, 12:15 PM
I've been running the renthal mediums (gray) and like them so far. They seem to be wearing OK (I was worried they would wear out quickly)..

It really boils down to a matter of personal preference.

Leo

004exkid
01-06-2002, 02:29 PM
With a thumb throttle I like to use 2 sets of dirtbike grips and slightly trim the throttle side flange. I have a twist throttle rite now and am running pro-grip sport bike grips the have a medium sized flange and are very soft.

inacoma91
01-06-2002, 05:43 PM
I am running the Renthal soft grips. They havent wore at all and i have had them since mid summer. I like the soft grips better since they put less stress on your hands............

Andrew
Thunder Racing

TRFOXX
01-06-2002, 06:42 PM
Pro Grip Gels

RideRed04
01-06-2002, 07:25 PM
I got scott hurricane grips on my new bars, and love them. They are softer, but havent been wearing too bad. They are easy to find, and cheap.

400MXer
01-06-2002, 09:33 PM
I use renthal, medium compound atv grips. I like them a lot. But don't use cheap grip glue. make sure you use good stuff.