PDA

View Full Version : Electric Tape Around the Axle

Foxrage
06-06-2003, 11:37 AM
I have A lonestar axle. I ride on rough practice track with weeds and stuff and i sometimes do off roading in the woods. My question is If i wrap it with electrical tape will this help keep its chrome till i go to the races? I dont want my axle being all rusty and chipped if you know what i mean. I was also wondering if i put it on good enough it shouldnt hold in moisture right? Thanks

DEAL
06-06-2003, 11:39 AM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

06-06-2003, 11:42 AM
yah thatwould stop the moisture..it did in my friends when he had stripped the grooves & thought that tape would mgve the hubs better grip since the grooves were stripped. Lets say that didn't work for but maybe 5 minutes & when we were riding o nthe road to our local powerlines the back tire fell off & he died. so this is just a lesson not to use it as a alternative since your grooves are stripped.....oh yah, he had a 1998 recon & he was doing 45 wide open.

400exBro
06-06-2003, 11:51 AM
i just got a lsr axle, so the chrome chips easily??

also does anyone put duct tape or electical tape around their axle nut to keep it from moving??? i my big nut spins, so i thought maybe wrap something around it to keep it from spinning...

also did you get a lonestar sticker with yours?? when i got mine, it was missing:confused: , i think i will call lsr and ask them were the hell it is...

dirtmomma
06-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by 400exBro
i just got a lsr axle, so the chrome chips easily??

also does anyone put duct tape or electical tape around their axle nut to keep it from moving??? i my big nut spins, so i thought maybe wrap something around it to keep it from spinning...

also did you get a lonestar sticker with yours?? when i got mine, it was missing:confused: , i think i will call lsr and ask them were the hell it is...

Putting duct tape around the axle nut:huh :huh :huh If I was you I would use Locktite or something like it, but thats jmo. Or get one of the aftermarket ones from Durablue?? Anyway good luck

Foxrage
06-06-2003, 12:18 PM
Mine didnt come with any stickers either i was kinda disapointed. O well ill just have to send them an email. anyway my lonestar axle just had some small scuffs and stuff from weeds. But if you have small tires its more prone to hit and rub stuff so im just trying to keep mine as good looking as possible. Thanks

Foxrage
06-06-2003, 12:20 PM
Also electrical tape works good around the stock axle nut thats y i just kept going all the way around the axle. LOL locktite works too but the tape is just an extra additive. I wouldnt use duct tape that stuff will leave sticky stuff all over the nut and axle thats y i used electrical tape.

06-06-2003, 01:31 PM
my friend used the same stuff for the same thing & look what happened to him in my previous post on this thread.

Rip_Tear
06-06-2003, 01:48 PM
That sucks Crazy400exMan, but that was a real dumb idea (if I am getting it right) to put tape on the hub to hold it on... It doesn't make sense either...

Is the chrome actually chiping, or just getting sratched?

Nausty
06-06-2003, 03:08 PM
lol, yeah my bolts to my motor mounts fell out so umm I just duct taped it to the mounts.

lol anyways if you wanna keep it nice by putting tape around it it may be a good idea just make sure the stuff your using doesn't leave a lot of residue when you take it off.

400exBro
06-06-2003, 03:13 PM
ya i was diapointed too when i got the axle and found no, stickers, i searched the box twice too see if i miss them... can't wait to try the axle out tomorrow, i jsut got 2 8x8 burgard beadlocks and some tuf tamers, so handling should be a lot better now...

trx400ex
06-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Yeah after you peel tape off all the dust will stick to it and look like sht......Also those LSR axles chrome doesnt come off easy and i dont think i would mess with it...as long as you dont hit a big rock or something it shouldnt chip....and you shouldnt worry about the races so much,nobody there cares if your axle is perfect

JOEX
06-06-2003, 04:28 PM
I didn't get stickers either:( Not that it matters that much. My stickers go on the tool box not the quad;)

Why are you so concerned how shiny your axle is at the races?

Joe

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Putting duct tape around the axle nut:huh :huh :huh

Alot of people do this and it works quite well. My nuts stay nice and tight with the tape :devil:

JOEX
06-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Alot of people do this and it works quite well. My nuts stay nice and tight with the tape :devil:
I don't think we need to know how you keep your nuts tight!LOL!:devil: j/k

Joe

Nausty
06-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I don't think we need to know how you keep your nuts tight!LOL!:devil: j/k

Joe

lol, beat me to it.

06-06-2003, 07:47 PM
well it didnt work very god for him...hes 6 feet under now....

Foxrage
06-07-2003, 02:44 AM
I just wanted to keep it looking as good as possible for the races. I have had it for around 3 weeks and it has summ decent scuffs and scratches just from weeds and stuff. Maybe no one else cares but i dont want everyone eating roost from a stock motored 400 with a rusty lookin axle lol

Foxrage
06-07-2003, 02:46 AM
Also I used electrical tape so no dust will stick to it when i take it off

400exBro
06-07-2003, 08:44 AM
a quick question how many spacers are there supose to be on the axle???

Foxrage
06-07-2003, 10:17 AM
1 on each side.

dbsbl1
06-07-2003, 03:03 PM
Instead of taping the whole axle, how about using that foam pipe insulation and just taping it in a few places. It would save you time and tape. Plus you wouldn't have to worry about tape marks..sometimes when elec. tape gets hot it leaves black sticky crap . Just a thought.

250x#93
06-07-2003, 04:38 PM
5 minutes & when we were riding o nthe road to our local powerlines the back tire fell off & he died. so this is just a lesson not to use it as a alternative since your grooves are stripped.

Thats very sad that he died, but I was wonderin how the wheel and tire fell off, On most axles you have splines which lock the axle to the hubs and then thats how the axle spins the hub, but on the end of the axle after you put the hub on there is a nut that is supposed to go on and have a pin threw it to keep it from spinnin off, SO...... If the hub fell off it must not of really been that he used electrical tape on the hub. Becuz the nut would have kept the wheel on, so if it fell off it seems to me that its more like he didn't have the nut on. I know my hub stripped out and the only thing it did to me was that that wheel didn't spin right. I welded splines sort of back on and then welded the hub on and made damn sure to put the nut back on:devil: JMO on things cuz that sounded a little fishy.

Seriosly though I'm very sad that ur friend died. My cuz died on a quad too. and thats purty scary:(

forum
06-09-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
well it didnt work very god for him...hes 6 feet under now....

man.. you do'nt get it.. Im sorry your friends pased. BUt stop dsaying that. foxrage isn't holding on a hub with the tape hes only protecting the surface of the axle and using it as a thread locker on the axle lock nut.. NOT IN PLACE OF THE HUB BOLT. thats just stupid!

Do you even read the posts?

250x#93
06-09-2003, 08:21 AM
man.. you do'nt get it.. Im sorry your friends pased. BUt stop dsaying that. foxrage isn't holding on a hub with the tape hes only protecting the surface of the axle and using it as a thread locker on the axle lock nut.. NOT IN PLACE OF THE HUB BOLT. thats just stupid!

Right on!!!!!!!!:)

06-09-2003, 03:23 PM
i cant read too well, I think I have add so what I read usually gets misinterpreted into something else & then I reply to it totally digffrent like I did here. I dont even know what happend.

250x#93
06-10-2003, 01:41 PM
i cant read too well, I think I have add so what I read usually gets misinterpreted into something else & then I reply to it totally digffrent like I did here. I dont even know what happend.

Ok, Is that u in ur avatar???