PDA

View Full Version : denton stabilizer placment?

shorty's400ex
06-05-2003, 01:51 PM
I'm trying to install this stabilizer tonight but i just cant seem to figure it out. the picture they gave me isn't very clear. could you all post some pics of your denton stabilizer for me? THANKS A LOT!!

wgbanks
06-05-2003, 04:51 PM
Here are a series of pics for a "Muscle" brand...similar to denton.

wgbanks
06-05-2003, 04:52 PM

wgbanks
06-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Finally, and for those wondering I did slightly rotate the rod end ant the forward end so it did not ride the sides of the fitting. Hope this helps a little.

06-06-2003, 02:50 AM
:scary:

Zingnut
06-06-2003, 05:03 AM
I mounted mine slightly different so I figured I would post it for ya. Mine allows almost perfect inline travel, the body of the stabilizer does not move to either side stays straight during complete turning radius. I thought this would give me the most true performance out of the stabilizer.

http://www.zingnut.com/Pics/Wheeler/denton.jpg

Doibugu2
06-06-2003, 05:22 AM
I got mine the same as Rico and WG. It was the biggest pain in the but to install. I think I spent at least 2 hours trying to get it right. It still isn't perfect, it doesn't allow me to completly turn my quad the last 1/4 inch or so on one side. But I can force it that little bit. Oh well I guess.

My arm muscle's are bigger now, though

muff
06-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Doibugu2
-what you need to do is move the clamp that clamps the main body of the stabilizer, you'll need to move it in more (towards the damper) then adjust your stem mount and frame mount

look at how wgbanks has his set up, notice how the clamp is further towards the middle of the stabilizer than zignuts is

thejeepdude
06-11-2003, 06:34 AM
So just to clarify, for those of us considering the purchase of this stabilizer, it is possible with proper adjustment to retail full lock-to-lock turnability, right? I've heard that some people lose some turning radius, but I'm assuming they just didn't mount it correctly?

RiPPiNiTuP7
06-11-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by thejeepdude
I've heard that some people lose some turning radius, but I'm assuming they just didn't mount it correctly?

Correct. My steering is the same as before I installed mine.

muff
06-11-2003, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
Correct. My steering is the same as before I installed mine.

same here

Zingnut
06-11-2003, 08:06 AM
Yea I retained full turning radius. If you look close on the pic of mine you can see the oil line on the front of the rod. I still have a quarter inch of the rod left on both ends even under full turns.

Doibugu2
06-11-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by muff
Doibugu2
-what you need to do is move the clamp that clamps the main body of the stabilizer, you'll need to move it in more (towards the damper) then adjust your stem mount and frame mount

look at how wgbanks has his set up, notice how the clamp is further towards the middle of the stabilizer than zignuts is

Doh, I didn't even think to move that. I dread trying to change that think again.

Do you guys put anything around your steering stem to protect it from the clamp. I've taken mine off and adjusted it so many times, I have chipped the hell out of Pappys pretty PC job.

remlapr
06-11-2003, 08:51 AM
I have the Denton rebuildable mounted like Zingnut has his. The key is definitely sliding the clamp down the body - I fought with mine for about an hour before I remembered reading that. I have a couple of complaints and want to see if you guys agree. Mine rattles up and down like crazy on the trails at that spot in the circle. It is tight, but the joints looks like it is just designed to be able to move during the stroke - but I get tired of listening to it all day on the trails. Anybody know of a way to stop the rattling without making it so tight that it will be in a jam during the stroke? Also I think mine feels stiffer when turning it right then left?? Anybody else notice this with theirs?

Meek
06-11-2003, 05:29 PM
You can rotate the ball joint that you have circled, so there is not as much play, but don't rotate it so much that it binds up.

muff
06-11-2003, 11:15 PM
you could probably make 2 small rubber washers and stick them in there, they dont need to be very thick at all, just so theres no metal to metal contact between the stabilizer itself and the joint

QuadTrix6
06-12-2003, 08:21 AM
hope mines on right

muff
06-12-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
hope mines on right

well if you can turn from full lock to the left and right with it stopping cause of the bottom bracket of the stem and not cause of the damper then you're all set