PDA

View Full Version : No longer a honda rider...

BANSHEEadam
01-05-2002, 04:15 PM
Well I traded my 300ex this morning for a 97 banshee. It's bored .40 w/ wiseco pistons, FMF Gold series pipe & silencers, nerfs, and some other stuff. I love it.. don't miss the ex at all. I don't think the banshee handles bad like everyone says. I feel better on it than the 250r I drove. I can even ride wheelies on it already. It jumps like a dream too. Does anyone know the displacement that it has now, being bored .40 over? Just wondering, cuz that thing flat out flies. Well just wanted to let you all know I'm no longer a Honda rider. Hope I put it in the right forum. I'll attach a picture when I get home.

-Adam

trx400ex
01-05-2002, 05:03 PM
hey man, i just got a banshee, your right, they flat out rip...i do agree that it doesnt handle as well as my 400, but i have over 1500$ into the chassis,,, i tried jumping it, but it lands pretty harsh,,,but it climbs hills AWESOME...i like it better than the 250rs ive rode too, heres a pic..

Guy400
01-05-2002, 05:13 PM
trx, the Shee's do climb extremely well. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Banshee. Only reason I'm asking is because my friend is selling his '01 Shee. It's in mint condition with Toomey T-5's and has less than 20 hours on it. He's asking $4600-4800 for it, I don't know if that's a good price for his quad or not. Like I said, less than 20 hours with T-5's, Uni filter and Uni-vents and the quad is spotless. He's one of those guys that washes and WD-40's his entire bike down after every ride.

BANSHEEadam
01-05-2002, 05:30 PM
Here's mine. It really isn't clean at all around the engine or other parts besides the plastic, but I will fix that when it gets warmer. I paid $800 (plus the trade for my 300ex). Depending on how you look at it, it could've cost me 2650 or 2900. I bought my ex for 1850. I was selling it for 2100. Well anyway, I really love this bike. I think everyone should ride one at least once;) What do you guys think? BTW, anyone know about that displacement or where I can find out?

BANSHEEadam
01-05-2002, 05:35 PM
woops
Here she is

Guy400
01-05-2002, 05:46 PM
Adam, your displacement is 358.5 cc's.

shock400ex32
01-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Well Adam, I'm not flaming the Shee but i think you will miss the 4 stroke when you have to tear down the motor and put new rings in it. The 2 stroke will take much more matience than the 4 strokes plus most places are banning 2 strokes because of the environmental harshness.

trx400ex
01-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Guy660R
trx, the Shee's do climb extremely well. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your Banshee. Only reason I'm asking is because my friend is selling his '01 Shee. It's in mint condition with Toomey T-5's and has less than 20 hours on it. He's asking $4600-4800 for it, I don't know if that's a good price for his quad or not. Like I said, less than 20 hours with T-5's, Uni filter and Uni-vents and the quad is spotless. He's one of those guys that washes and WD-40's his entire bike down after every ride.

ok, it is a 2001,as you know the 2002s are out, the guy at the dealer said that they usually take money off the price of the banshee, but we traded in a motorcycle for it, so they gave us more for it, it was a 2001 suzuki gs500 BRAND NEW, they gave us 3500 and then charged an even 6k for the shee, that probably doesnt help you, but if you went to the dealer right now, you could probably get a leftover 2001 for 5700$.. 4800$ seems like a very good price and i bet he could get a little more if he tried.....banshees are a little harder to get premium dollar for snce there 2 strokes, and most,, or some are beat up real bad

are you going to buy it? or is it that guy you ride with,, scott i think????

NJ300ex
01-05-2002, 07:13 PM
Adam- get rid of those purple nerf nets and get some black or red ones. then put on better tires and youll have a really nice machine.

BANSHEEadam
01-05-2002, 07:58 PM
They're dirty, not purple.

Guy400
01-05-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
are you going to buy it? or is it that guy you ride with,, scott i think???? Yes, it's Scott's bike. I'm not going to buy it, my terrain around here isn't fit for a Shee. I've probably got 12 of his 20 hours on it. About 2 or 3 months after he bought the bike he found a new woman and now he's getting married and doing the house shopping thing. I was just curious what they were going for nowadays.

**Note, buy a set of Toomey's for that thing** In terms of power Scott's bike went from "pretty good" to "Holy $h!t". I believe you can get the whole Toomey kit through Rocky Mountain ATV. It came with the pipes and silencers, Uni filter, 12 Uni-vents and a jet kit that Toomey sets up for you. Toomey calls it the "Perfect Jet Kit" and they tell you that if your bike doesn't run right afterward it's because you did something wrong. In Toomey's defense, we slapped the pipes on and put their jet kit in and it was right on. The power increase was extremely impressive.

optikid123
01-05-2002, 09:15 PM
really i thought a shee bored .40 over was a 430 cause they bore it 40cc for each cylender

BANSHEEadam
01-05-2002, 09:30 PM
Well it doesn't work quite like that... you'll have to have someone better qualified to explain. I'm pretty sure it's a total of 40 though.

Leo
01-05-2002, 09:37 PM
I seriously doubt it was bored .40 over, I think what he meant to say was "bored .040" over..

there is a big difference between .4 and .04 :D

Leo

moving this thread to the non-honda forum

BANSHEEadam
01-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Sorry Leo. I should've put it there.

He told me .40 over. That would be .20 each side... would it really be too much? I guess you know more about it than I do.

SGA
01-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Thats 40 thousands of a inch each cylinder has been bored bigger, not 40 CC's. To give you a idea of the thickness, a dime is about 35 thousands of a inch thick. Sure, it can be broken down to a smaller fraction, but mechanics need very precise measurments for piston to cylinder clearance. 5 thousands of a inch ( about a business card thick) is alot when it comes to piston clearance. the difference between just reringing :) or boring to the next size up.$$$:(

DEAL
01-06-2002, 07:44 AM
I'm never listenin to what magazines say again, They were always saying how bullet proof the 300ex motor was ... and it took me a year to blow mine up..... or i mean less than a year.
I've ridden with alot of banshees and they look FUN.. They spin rocks every where , I've watched them do awesome burnouts on pavement without any brakes.. just clutch .. they sound awesome, theyre basass!

crday98
01-06-2002, 10:34 PM
.40 is four hundred thousands of an inch think. what leo said & i think he meant was .040 = forty thousands:)

2k2-300exnj
01-07-2002, 02:13 PM
.40 is four tenths of an inch or fourty hundreths:devil

JabberJaw
01-07-2002, 02:33 PM
Man! Just wait til my wife hears how long my johnson is when measured in 'thousanths'...she's going to be impressed!

01-07-2002, 03:24 PM
i think my 250x bored .80 over was a 256x :) i think

01-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Thats a sweet banshee. But now stay in this section. Or go to ATV connection for more info on your quad. But you'll be back in 15 minutes. How much did that banshee cost you cause it came modded. What are the mods that you bought it with, or did you put those on.:devil :macho

BANSHEEadam
01-11-2002, 11:19 PM
Well the mods are a little fuzzy...I traded for my 300ex and $800 to boot. I have to get in contact with the first owner out in California I think... but the things I know for sure are
the FMF fatty's (friggin loud), EMGO bars, K&N's (with no air box... i tell ya there's some smart people in the world),
he switched the rims on me, to outdated itp's with big dents, titan AT 489's (22in) on back and ohtsu's on the front, some kind of nerfs,
the front bumper looks like an armadillo but i'm not sure about that, it was bored w/ wisecos, rebuilt last summer, boost bottle, swingarm skid,
I sanded the side case last night, and some things on the handlebars. I'm going to get a bunch of Cascade products... I think they really have some cool stuff, and not overly expensive for what they are.
The clutch is starting to slip so I'm going to have to fix that in a short time, the shifter broke last night -it had been welded-so I welded it again, but beyond that everything is decent on it... nothin real special yet, but the mofo flies.
It's a fun jumper too. I agree the shocks are a little stiff in front but when you do the landing right it's not bad at all. Most of my jumps don't have a landing... they do, but I land past it so it makes no difference. I really like the way it handle's... don't know what all the hype is about. I guess "to each his own", or maybe it's because I've never ridden a 400ex. No matter what I'm very content with it, that's all that matters.
I guess that about sums it up... I know there's more stuff I'm forgettin about. Ill take some pictures tomorrow of it and me jumpin it and stuff... and I'll make sure to post it here in the non-honda section Leo:D

Also, I'd appreciate it if any of you Banshee owners could pm me so I know who I can go ask if I have a question.

Thanks alot... sorry about the length

trx400ex
01-12-2002, 08:30 AM
i took my shee out to a friends house who has some jumps, it handles fine, not as well as a 400ex, but you wouldnt complain if rode one. i dont think this would be something that youd want to be your first quad, they say the front ends heavy but if you hit a jump in the powerband the thing shoots striaght up like a rocket

on jumps or a mx track id rather ride the 400 anyday..in the woods id ride the shee handsdown

hey adam, are you planning any chassis mods, the shocks are alot harsher than the stock 400 shocks to me, and i dont want to bust the frame like i did on the 400 from botoming out,,,i guess id like to see what other banshee owners are running and what they like

BANSHEEadam
01-12-2002, 04:49 PM
Well I might just be forced to mod the front end now... I was jumpin my banshee on one jump about 20 min. ago, going around the same tree each time before I jumped. Well I got a little squirrely and ended up clipping the tree at a fairly good speed- 2nd gear almost maxed out. It hurt so bad when it jerked that I just let go.. and it died. Somethin is seriously wrong with my left pointer finger. I don't think it's broken, but i think i tore some stuff in there. It's swollen up huge and I can't move it at all. I haven't checked out the banshee much yet... but coming back home it looked like my bars were pointed to the right when my wheels were straight. Man I hope it isn't the steering stem, cuz the tie rods looked allright, by glancing at them. Could be alot of money goin into that front end. (not that i would mind having a new chrome stem, new a-arms, shocks, etc.)
Well i'm done writing cuz it hurts like a mother.

Sleeping Catfish
01-12-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
i took my shee out to a friends house who has some jumps, it handles fine, not as well as a 400ex, but you wouldnt complain if rode one. i dont think this would be something that youd want to be your first quad, they say the front ends heavy but if you hit a jump in the powerband the thing shoots striaght up like a rocket

on jumps or a mx track id rather ride the 400 anyday..in the woods id ride the shee handsdown

hey adam, are you planning any chassis mods, the shocks are alot harsher than the stock 400 shocks to me, and i dont want to bust the frame like i did on the 400 from botoming out,,,i guess id like to see what other banshee owners are running and what they like

Rather ride the shee in the woods than the 400!? You know the black/white one is the banshee...

trx400ex
01-12-2002, 05:59 PM
that sucks, hope nothings wrong....the stock yamaha tierods are some of the weakest around, i dont see how it could have twisted the stem without bending a tierod....i dunno, if you do get a stem i would rec. the chrome laegar, its as much as other aftermarket stems, but still pricy @ 300$, could be alot of things.....i had a friend with a warrior that snapped a shock in half riding on flat ground...like golfcourse smooth, i hope banshees arent the same....
are you gonna race your shee? i want to do some xc in the stock gncc class next year, just need some fornt shocks,,,im thinkin the dualrate axis with comp adj.

good luck with your hand and your qaud.

trx400ex
01-12-2002, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Sleeping Catfish

Rather ride the shee in the woods than the 400!? You know the black/white one is the banshee...

yeah i know what i said, i have both thats just my opinion, the banshee will do things the 400 wont, in the woods i havent found anything that the 400 does better except provide a less taxing ride with alot less yamathumb

Sleeping Catfish
01-12-2002, 08:26 PM
from the very low hours i have on a 2 stroke i can say i like the 4 stoke better in the woods. the banshee makes me sit too weird to feel good about woods riding but i have never ridden one. you are one of very few who thinks banshees are good woods bikes, i hear the low end is just nothing at bt.

BANSHEEadam
01-13-2002, 04:27 PM
from the very low hours i have on a 2 stroke i can say i like the 4 stoke better in the woods. the banshee makes me sit too weird to feel good about woods riding but i have never ridden one. you are one of very few who thinks banshees are good woods bikes, i hear the low end is just nothing at bt.

So you've never ridden a banshee, but yet you still say they aren't any good... hmm... that's interesting that you would say something is bad when you've never been on one. (besides sitting on one at one of your many local dealers)

Those people who say they aren't good in the low end are right. But that's not something that is hard to correct. You just have to know how to ride it.. Keep it in the powerband, no matter what gear, and you'll smoke anything. The only thing you have to worry about really is going slow in first gear. It will bog a little when you get on the gas. Way to correct that: tap the clutch. The second you do it-better hope you are holdin on.

You better get some riding time on a banshee before you dis it. I thought they weren't very good either til I rode one, just from what everyone else said. And you can't just ride it once either-have to get some real seat time on one.

Guy400
01-13-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by 300EXadam You better get some riding time on a banshee before you dis it. I thought they weren't very good either til I rode one, just from what everyone else said. And you can't just ride it once either-have to get some real seat time on one. "DING, DING, DING!! We have a winner!"

This has been my point since coming to EXRiders. I don't mind when people have educated, negative comments about an ATV. People that say "I don't like Quad A because of..." and they list detailed information are fine. The ones that annoy me are the ones that have negative comments about every ATV besides the one that they own. "Quad B sucks because..." in one paragraph and then in the next it's "that's what Dirt Wheels says anyway."

BANSHEEadam
01-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Thanks Guy, glad to see I'm not the only one annoyed by ignorance.

P.S. I sat on a raptor the other day and thought it really felt like a bad quad. I would never trade my banshee in for a stupid raptor (even though I've never even started one up)

No... actually I sat on one the other day, all modded for racing, and it felt like I was on my old 300ex- despite the size difference.

Guy400
01-13-2002, 05:29 PM
I had a similar situation to yours. I sat on a 250R the other day at my local dealership. It was running +4/+1 a-arms, +4 axle and sitting on PEP ZPS shocks. It felt very unstable. The bike never moved but that was my feeling of it's ride:D

BANSHEEadam
01-13-2002, 05:43 PM
As a matter of fact after riding both a banshee and a 250r, the 250r did feel unstable. Maybe it was the one inparticular R that I was on. Don't take that as a personal attack 250r owner's, that's just my measly opinion. (seems like one's opinion can turn into everyone's opinion though..)

DEAL
01-14-2002, 06:35 AM
A raptor does feel alot like the 300ex.
They feel like they have similar gearing when riding them, but the raptor pulls much harder and has a much higher top end.