PDA

View Full Version : How Can I tighten a 400 ex chain?

01-05-2002, 03:42 PM
My chain is loose and i wanna tight it again...

mikeboone
01-05-2002, 07:51 PM
I guess you didnt have a manual. Start at back of bike. Look down at the swingarm and loosen the 4 hex head bolts. Use a flat screwdriver and insert in a hole on left side of swingarm and pull back and down toward you. Leave a little slack though. Retighten 4 bolts. It may be your chain is stretched to far to tighten--if so check with SERVICEHONDA.COM for a cheap price. Be sure you use a good chain lube after each wash. (not wd-40)

Alberta EX
01-06-2002, 06:27 AM
I find its easier to adjust the chain if you prop the back end of the bike on a pail so the wheels turn freely, this makes it easier to move the chain adjuster and get the chain slack just right.

Bspring
01-08-2002, 02:24 PM
What is wrong with WD-40? Think about how hard you have to squeeze the O-rings in the master link. There is NO WAY any chain lube in going to get to the pins. The only thing chain lube will do is prevent surface rust and keep the O-rings soft. WD-40 should do both of those just fine.

Atomic83
01-08-2002, 02:33 PM
I agree

400exRacerX
01-08-2002, 08:43 PM
You need to loosen the 4 allen head bolts then hit the edge of the axle carrier right next to the sprockte with a scredriver and a hammer.

barbwire44
01-09-2002, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Bspring
What is wrong with WD-40? Think about how hard you have to squeeze the O-rings in the master link. There is NO WAY any chain lube in going to get to the pins. The only thing chain lube will do is prevent surface rust and keep the O-rings soft. WD-40 should do both of those just fine.

Hate to burst any bubbles but wd-40 is not a good choice for a chain lube. WD-40 is an effective moisture dispersant and penetrating lubricant for stuck fasteners. As far as the label on the can, I couldn't find anything mentioning it's lubrication ability. one of the main ingrediants in WD-40 is kerosene which is a good detergent, I assume thats the reason it works so well as a cleaner/degreaser. Also knowing the penetrating values of WD-40 yes it would get behind the o-rings on you're chain but it would then degrease whatever lube you have in there. I actually talked to a lubrication salesman a few weeks ago who sold wd-40 products in his line of items and suggested not to use it around rubber o-rings and seals, because over time it would shrink and harden rubber causing it to crack. According to history WD-40 was originally developed to wash salt water off naval ships and prevent the corrosion caused by the salt. So i would say keep the WD-40 around for squeaky door hinges and a good degreaser for you're motor but keep it away from you're chain!

01-09-2002, 11:36 AM
I’ve been using WD-40 for years on o-ring sealed chain without any problems. You bring up an interesting point, though. Can you provide any documentation supporting your claim? This isn’t a flame. I believe what you are saying merits more research.

01-09-2002, 11:49 AM
Here's a link to gt thunders chain adjustment guide..

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/sitemap_set.html

I also don't use wd-40 on my chain, and really wouldn't recommend it ,for some odd reason i use chain lube.:huh

But wd-40 is like duct tape,,it has over 100000000000000000 purposes in life.

barbwire44
01-09-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Itch
I’ve been using WD-40 for years on o-ring sealed chain without any problems. You bring up an interesting point, though. Can you provide any documentation supporting your claim? This isn’t a flame. I believe what you are saying merits more research.

I didn't have time to look but i found one site pretty quick that did some testing on wd40 and chains here is the link.(long article)

http://www.bikesite.com/gearbox/lubes2.shtml

Bspring
01-10-2002, 12:48 PM
D.I.D recommends cleaning “X” and “O” ring chains with Kerosene, as barbwire44 pointed out WD-40 is mostly Kerosene. However, they also recommend using their special chain lube after cleaning it.
If you use a dry lube it will come off at the first water crossing, and if you use a tacky lube it will collect grit and the process of running across the sprockets will create unnecessary wear.

http://www.didchain.com/question.html

exTAZe400
01-10-2002, 01:01 PM
Barbwire is correct.

I don't know where I read it but I did read somewhere that you are NOT suppose to use WD-40 as a lubricant on 0-ring chains. I think it was on a chain manufacturers site not a chain lubricants site. Its the same way for mountain bike chains.

Use the right stuff and you will get more life out of your chain.

01-10-2002, 02:07 PM
Heres the other catch to proper chain maint. Most chain lubes want you to ride the bike for 5 or 10 minutes getting the chain hot. Just walkin out in the garage and hosin the sucka down normally isn't gonna get the chain lubed like it should. Next time ya buy chain lube read the directions on how they recommend you do it properly.

"BLAHH"300!!
01-11-2002, 06:19 AM
from what i've read than ..."use a tacky chain lube when it's wet "humid" and use a" dry chain lube."like wd-40" when it's dry?".....so if your in sand you dan't want the "gunk" sticking around your chain..duh.."sand, dirt , grit"....but when it's a wet "moist" day you don't want the stuff just slidin' off either.....i think i got all that right.....i understand what you mean butt,,,,,,,
......i usually just see how it's ridin'.....loose.?... give it a whirl... too about 1/2 to 2 inch..play in slack."i think"? if i push down on the rear shock and the chain tighten's....loosen it....if it has about a hair's play.it's all good...am i right????.....also as far as a lubricant.....i check my oil before i go ridin' and ...if i need oil i add......then i check my chain...and add about 2 / 3 spins of the rear wheel of just plain "oil"...i don't "dump it"...just let it roll onto the chain and loosen it up a bit..................................for me.....goin' out and buying a specific "chain"oil"lubricant"gunk"tacky"solution" is a waste of money as far as the time it takes to eat through a srockett......i've had this bike for a while and.....what am i talkin' about....you get it......

max400EX
01-14-2002, 12:27 AM
WD-40 = Cleaner

Tri-Flow = Great lube, this stuff has teflon in it (yes like the pan coatings). It is even better than silicone.

01-14-2002, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Heres the other catch to proper chain maint. Most chain lubes want you to ride the bike for 5 or 10 minutes getting the chain hot.

This is what Maxima Chain Wax says also. What I do is clean my quad, then spray WD-40 on the chain liberally. After it drips for a few minutes, I'll prop the quad up on a center stand (actually a five gallon bucket placed up-side-down) then start the bike and put it in 1st gear. The back tires will slowly rotate. This is when I wipe the excess WD-40 off then let the chain warm up a bit will gently pressing the throttle. Then comes the Chain Wax.

I do this after every ride and everything seems to be fine. I follow the same procedure on my CBR (except for the five gallon bucket and after every ride) and have never had any problems.

In my previous post, I meant that I have used WD-40 for years on o-ring chains, but not as a lubricant alone.