View Full Version : any really good mechanics

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 02:16 AM
I'm at a loss here, i have a 84 cutlass ciera that i originally took a 88 2.8 mpfi engine and put in it i'm trying to sell cause it has just sat around for the most part cause i bought a new truck a couple years ago, anyways here is the delima it has a really bad hesitation from when i put the gas down all the way up to about 25 mph if i put the gas all the way to the floor it chokes worse and somtimes even stalls but once i get about 25 it's like nothing is wrong it doesn't miss a beat i can kick it down and it takes off like a raging bull like there's nothing wrong but but from idle to 25 is where the problem is and when i'm in drive and shift to rev it will stall and it just acts like it struggling to run it kinda reminds me of when you go the choke on a motorcycle and ya give it the gas and it just chokes and sputter, plugs are fine i've checked all the vacum lines and they seem fine i brought my gauge with me to work and i'm goin to check the pressure at the fuel rail during my lunch break but other than that i'm not sure what it is a while back my brother has the grand prix only with the 3.1 same motor just a different stroke, and i swaped the crank pos sensor throttle pos sensor and the map sensor and nothing helped so i got no clue, like i said it's only from idle to 25mph then after that it runs just fine, any ideas:confused:

300exOH
06-05-2003, 02:39 AM
check the fuel filter fuel pump and the injectors. that's all I can think of right now. good luck

Guy400
06-05-2003, 02:48 AM
Sounds like it's way rich off idle. An injector might be hanging open. Swap the injectors out of your 3.1 and see if that helps.

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 02:59 AM
hhhmmm i put the injectors in bout 2 summers ago cause the car was starting to have the symptoms that i describe and that didn't fix it and it has only gotten gradully *sp worse so i wouldn't think that its my injectors when i do my pressure test at lunch that should tell me if the filter and pump is ok or not, i'm not allowed to take parts off the 3.1 anymore cause my brother uses that car, the only reason i was able to use the parts off his car is cause it was out of commision while we were painting it, but thanks though guys

CUZ'n
06-05-2003, 03:06 AM
check dat der igntution module day sumtimes go bad:( if da timming don advanse it wont run fer nuttin

300exOH
06-05-2003, 03:13 AM
I have an ignition module and fuel rail and injectors for that engine. It was from my old 88 Chevy Celebrity. Please take them. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he gave them to me for spares when I had the car. Sold the car so I'm stuck with the parts. Let me know. Later.

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by CUZ'n
check dat der igntution module day sumtimes go bad:( if da timming don advanse it wont run fer nuttin

dank nuggets ya just made me jaw drop :huh

ignition module, is that the same as the coil packs, cause i swapped those to and nothing, or is there somthing else between the ecm and the coil packs, i though it could be timing also since it's electronically controled but wouldn't you feel it all the time instead of just from idle to 25 :confused:

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
I have an ignition module and fuel rail and injectors for that engine. It was from my old 88 Chevy Celebrity. Please take them. A friend of mine is a mechanic and he gave them to me for spares when I had the car. Sold the car so I'm stuck with the parts. Let me know. Later.

heck ya i'll take them if you have no need for them i'm willing to do anything to get rid of this car the longer i keep it seems the longer it becomes more of pain in the ***, i'll try to swing by your place monday or tuesday evening i'm leaving to West virgina tomorow and i'll be gone for the weekend but thanks a bunch those just might help me out a bunch

CUZ'n
sum gm carz have dat module an it advanses da timming . when day go bad dat car won start and sum tim it won advanse dat timming. on dem cheby trucks it is in dat distibuter under duh cap

monkeyboy
i no mekanik butt i cann helps u if u neeedz me 2 ;)

300exOH
06-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
dank nuggets ya just made me jaw drop :huh

ignition module, is that the same as the coil packs, cause i swapped those to and nothing, or is there somthing else between the ecm and the coil packs, i though it could be timing also since it's electronically controled but wouldn't you feel it all the time instead of just from idle to 25 :confused:

The ignition module is behind the coils. They mount on top of the module. Could even be the ECM itself. I've dealt with both. It isn't throwing a code is it? Feel free to stop by an pick up those parts. I'm usually here. :cool:

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by monkeyboy
i no mekanik butt i cann helps u if u neeedz me 2 ;)

if you bring some of dem der green smokes ya can come over and help me work on my car any day of the week :blah:

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by 300exOH
The ignition module is behind the coils. They mount on top of the module. Could even be the ECM itself. I've dealt with both. It isn't throwing a code is it?

nope no code yet that's what i hate, i wish it would already so i could pull it fix my problem with ease i'll have to do some digging if i remember correctly i think there's a way i can short the ecm and put in into a self diagnosing mode where it test's itself least that's what i've read

300exOH
06-05-2003, 03:29 AM
If I'm not mistaken you can short out the only 2 side by side terminals and turn the ignition on and wait for the codes. I think it will do code 11 first to let you know it's in diagnostic mode. I think that's right.:ermm: :) :o

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 05:35 AM
well i just got back from hooking my gauge to the fuel rail and all looks good setting at an idle it had about 35psi and then if i reved it, it went up up to 40psi even 42 so i think everything up to rail is good so that just leaves me with the injectors or else it's somthing electrical when i get the injectors and module from 300exoh i'll swap them out and hopfully my problem will be solved:ermm:

anybody else have any suggestions

SlapNutz
06-05-2003, 06:04 AM
it junckde up, :mad:

wilkin250r
06-05-2003, 06:46 AM
Shocking that CUZ'n is a shadetree mechanic. I bet he also has a painted tractor tire with flowers growing in the middle of his front yard.