PDA

View Full Version : The Honda Dealer's statement today

FastHonda400ex
06-04-2003, 09:22 PM
I went to the Honda dealer today when I went to college this morning and he asked what I was up to. I told him that I wanted some valve seals for my 400ex while I had the head and cylinder off for the 416 kit and cam. He said "Speaking of 400ex's, The Honda rep came out to my shop last week and I asked him about the new Honda quad." Then he told the rep that Honda was getting their butt's spanked by the competition and they needed to bring out a quad to compete against the other manufacturers. He then proceeded to ask the rep as to what size of quad Honda is working on, and the rep said "You know the Honda XR650R, well put 2 and 2 together" If I would've had a camcorder or a voice recorder I would've taped it for everyone. All I could think is it's about time!

So hopefully they will bring out a 650cc hi perf quad to spank the competition? Just thought I'd let you all know what I heard from a dealer that doesn't bullsh$t anybody. Hopefully they'll get it out this fall?

killed300ex
06-04-2003, 11:40 PM
dude no offense noone is going to beleive you untillw e see it with our own eyes. Not that we dont believe you but people lie and honda i dont think will release it by fall if they are making it
killed

250EXking
06-04-2003, 11:56 PM
honda is a bunch of idiots. no offense. if they dont get a new quad and yamaha comes out with one then they are pretyy much in trouble. but i will believe the new quad when i see. but till then just keep spending thousands of dollars for upgrades for your 400 or just get a z.

blondie69
06-05-2003, 12:08 AM
No matter what.....I'm a Honda chick.....won't ever go Yamaha. (no offence to Yami ppls) But its kool that yamaha came out with this one, it looks sick n all....but honda will come out with a new and better one....and if i were gonna get new quad.....i'd get the honda no matter what:D

Dunlap
06-05-2003, 01:31 AM
I have raced for HONDA and I know them well,you will NOT know anything until everyone knows.

Taco
06-05-2003, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Mickey Dunlap
I have raced for HONDA and I know them well,you will NOT know anything until everyone knows. Yup that 250ex took pretty much everyone by surprise.:D

quadman22
06-05-2003, 04:18 AM
no offense but if honda does come out with a 650, it might be too bulky and it might not be able to keep up with all these new 400 class bikes as far as MX goes. IMO

sly400ex
06-05-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by quadman22
no offense but if honda does come out with a 650, it might be too bulky and it might not be able to keep up with all these new 400 class bikes as far as MX goes. IMO

Good point, they need to just work something based off the CRF 450 motor.:o

Bretmd94
06-05-2003, 05:18 AM
what honda dealer were you at?? It says your from Eastern Oregon. Im in K Falls right now. I havent bugged the local dealed lately.

toby400ex
06-05-2003, 05:20 AM
why would honda use an old on 650 motor when they have the 450.:huh

Str8Wicked
06-05-2003, 05:31 AM
Yeah Whatever.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 05:40 AM
i can only hope honda doesn't do anything stupid and release a 650 quad

exriderdude
06-05-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
i can only hope honda doesn't do anything stupid and release a 650 quad

its not all that bad....just as long as they come out with a 450 too;)

06-05-2003, 06:19 AM
a crf450 quad AND a 650 quad realeased at the same time:eek2:

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer27

ya sounds real great you can go race your 450 then when you get home you can go and plow the fields with you 650:huh

06-05-2003, 06:23 AM
ya sounds real great you can go race your 450 then when you get home you can go and plow the fields with you 650:huh plow the fields?....by the way ive been meaning to ask you this....why does you name have tm next it?

UglyMotha™
06-05-2003, 06:26 AM
the only thing a 650 quad is good for is hooking a plow to the *** end

my name is trade mark, so if you use ya gotta pay up sucker:cool:

Waynes400ex
06-05-2003, 06:31 AM
I would be so depressed if Honda released a 650 , thats not what the people want. They need to get off there high horse and realize they dont have the best quad out there anymore. Come out with something that will only need suspension mods to be able to race. An as far as a bike having reverse, get your lazy but off the bike and back it up , our make it an option if it really that important to you.

Striker49
06-05-2003, 06:53 AM
Just face it people. No one is going to know anything for sure and everything is going to remain a rumor til the R&D staff at Honda get off their lazy asses, walk up to the podieum with all the press standing around, and make the announcement to the public.

Get over it, you're going to have to wait like everyone else.

If you really want to think about it...look at everything that has gone on in the past year and look at who has realeased what. Every big company out there has released their "lead production" quad. The only manufacturer that hasnt released a new big quad is Honda. Yamie, Polaris, Zuki, Kawi, and CDale have released theirs. Now, IN THEORY, Honda will look at all these bikes...take their goods, trash their bads...put 2 and 2, 3 and 3, together, and bring out a bike thats one step ahead of all of the competition. They did it with the 400ex and had no competition until the Raptor was released in 2001. Just think about it for a while.
I wouldnt count on anything though. :ermm:

QuadTrix6
06-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Hey Guys!!!! i was at my honda dealer today and i know for a fact that the new 650 is comming out but they are gonna put it in its own class because this quad can actually fly..yea it has wings and stuff and runs on water :huh

i hate rumors :ermm:

Waynes400ex
06-05-2003, 07:05 AM
A 650 to me is a dissapointment. 450 would be heaven.

sportraxrider10
06-05-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by nacsracer27

thats what i was thinking:devil: :eek2: :macho

06-05-2003, 10:45 AM
its not a dealer statement its some guy runnin his mouf

trueblue450
06-05-2003, 10:49 AM
650 would be pointless.. it better be a 450 or thats bull. But you know, how much faster can you have your quad go until you kill yourself!!???

Bill Fuller
06-05-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by blondie69
No matter what.....I'm a Honda chick.....won't ever go Yamaha. (no offence to Yami ppls) But its kool that yamaha came out with this one, it looks sick n all....but honda will come out with a new and better one....and if i were gonna get new quad.....i'd get the honda no matter what:D I love that girl,if anyone wants to jump ship I say see ya you will be back.Blondie and myself will keep the faith.And by the way a 650 I don't think so!!:rolleyes:

Glow Plug
06-05-2003, 11:36 AM
I think it would be ponit less to even think of releasing a 650cc sport quad, the only people that could use it really to it full potentail would be people who live in the desert and sand duners. Other than that it would be bothersome on the trails not allowed on most tracks and pretty much point less. So in my opion a 450 based quad would be much better . :D

zzbudzz
06-05-2003, 11:41 AM
ya sounds real great you can go race your 450 then when you get home you can go and plow the fields with you 650:huh thats funny ....a 650? is the xr650 air cooled or water cooled?

DirtDiggler
06-05-2003, 12:01 PM
Water cooled. I think the XR600 was air cooled. I'm sure someone on here knows for sure.

06-05-2003, 12:04 PM
I have raced for HONDA and I know them well,you will NOT know anything until everyone knows.

Have to agree with that thought, and from what I hear they execute anyone who leaks info :D

Though my blood is red I have had fun on some yami's and kawi's too so I am not going to bite on any ole stuff Honda ships out but it would be nice that since they have sat back and watched what every single other mfg including poopalaris has brought to the table I would think anything less than a destroked crf450 engined quad with a completely new design al frame wwould be a total disapointment and slap in the face to the seriously fanatical Honda fans. All this not to mention they would be letting Zuki, Kawi, Yami, and yes even pooplaris be way ahead in the performance quad market.

I hope they do a better job battling against this new yzfquad than they did with pitting the 959 against the gsxr cause if they dont you wount be seeing as much red out there as you used to.

DirtDiggler
06-05-2003, 02:08 PM
I agree with you. I will say one thing that's interesting though.

In the last issue of cycle world (GSXR100 on the cover) they do a huge naked bike / semi-naked bike shoot out. All of the test riders said the Honda was to mild and not exciting enough BUT out of the 8 or 10 bikes tested the Honda put in the second best track times second only to Suzuki's 1000cc naked bike.

I agree that Honda has waited long enough and now they can see where Yamaha has raised the bar to. If they took the CRF450r motor and put it in an all aluminum chassis made it well suspended, the same weight as the Yamaha or lighter and made it wider I think it would be a done deal. It's just a matter of whether or not they got the nads to do it.

06-05-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by DirtDiggler
I agree that Honda has waited long enough and now they can see where Yamaha has raised the bar to. If they took the CRF450r motor and put it in an all aluminum chassis made it well suspended, the same weight as the Yamaha or lighter and made it wider I think it would be a done deal. It's just a matter of whether or not they got the nads to do it.

Wider or not, XC or MX as long as it right otherwise we know we can customise it to our liking.

C'mon Honda where are you. :)

Got Huevos?
06-05-2003, 03:10 PM
i think if this is tru that the honda rep was bullchitting u and lied about it being a 650. think if Honda is putting so much effort into keeping this a well indowed secret do u think an actual Honda rep will come out and say this to a dealer? i dont tink so. and if it is a 650 they can completely re make the motor to make is even lighter and faster. and improve it in n e way they want. they couold prolly make it even smaller and use a big lengthy chassis like the new Yamaha does did u see how long and wide that thing is? they can do the same. but i still think the honda rep lied and is still keeping the secret.

bongwater200
06-05-2003, 03:31 PM

Yep..... Until its released, or Bruce Ogilvie (sp/) shows up with it in the back of a pickup, you won't know what Honda will do!

By the way... Mickey.... good to see you on here!

bongwater200
06-05-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by FastHonda400ex
I went to the Honda dealer today when I went to college this morning and he asked what I was up to. I told him that I wanted some valve seals for my 400ex while I had the head and cylinder off for the 416 kit and cam. He said "Speaking of 400ex's, The Honda rep came out to my shop last week and I asked him about the new Honda quad." Then he told the rep that Honda was getting their butt's spanked by the competition and they needed to bring out a quad to compete against the other manufacturers. He then proceeded to ask the rep as to what size of quad Honda is working on, and the rep said "You know the Honda XR650R, well put 2 and 2 together" If I would've had a camcorder or a voice recorder I would've taped it for everyone.......................................... ............................................

LMM-FingAO

Well....... I was at my BMW dealership today, and the salesman told me that BMW was coming out with a 328i that has Humvee wheels on it and a 6500 horsepower turbo-diesel that runs on either soy-diesel or flatulence. To hold up the engine, it will have a 14,000lb axle in the front end out of a Ford F-750. I figure that 2+2=4, so that means that it WILL undoubtedly have a 24,000lb two-speed rear axle (probably a tandem, since it has 6500hp).

Here's the best part........... It will run 9.85 in a quarter-mile!

I would have taken a video of the whole conversation, but I dropped my camera and ran when the salesman snaked a rubber hose up his *** to prove to me that it could run on flatulence.

Nausty
06-05-2003, 04:20 PM
650=http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon13.gif
450=http://www.exriders.com/vbb/images/icons/icon14.gif

forum
06-05-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda wouldn't let such information slip out. The chance of honda actualy producing either the 650 or 450 is both as likely. They actualy both but out almost the same peek HP. the 450 is light and revs faster, but the 650 is more relaible and is easier to ride. But with yamaha pointing its guns towards the race scene honda will either give it all they got to beat out yamaha and be woried about the same thing that happend to the 250r, or go out and try and beat up the open class market seeing as there not much competiton. ds650,raptor ect. .... Take your pick?? has honda been known as the ones to take the safe way out?? or the risky??like yami!

brif
06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I was at the local Honda/Yamaha dealer today. Asked him about the YFZ he knows about as much as us now. Asked him about a new Honda and he said he hasn't heard anything. He said I'd prob find out about it on the computer before he did anyway!!

Dan_Guetter
06-05-2003, 07:43 PM
im gonna say 650 boyz:(

RuffRyder400ex
06-05-2003, 11:58 PM
well i think they should bring back the r

400exBro
06-06-2003, 12:10 AM
nowing honda they are going to *******s and bring out a pos 650, not that i wouldn't like it, but it will be to damn heavy... the 450 is abetter mx engine...
rrrrrrr honda you make me so fustarded :cuss: especailly that oil tank on the ex, i broke it 2 times and had to pay 250 each time, and when we called about it, we never got answer back.....

hopefully the new yammy won't be like my old blaster... i always blew the head gasket on it, i guess the over bores on the blaster are not the best idea... plus it was a old one,

James70214
06-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Definitely going to be a xr650 motor. I'd put money on it to.

Guy400
06-06-2003, 12:14 AM
bongwater, I wouldn't shop at any dealership where the salesmen had hoses in their asses (we all know they have their heads up there but not garden hoses):D

Look, I don't think it's a secret that Honda is working on something. There have been known meetings with consumers concerning a sport quad. Heck, in 2001 when I bought my Raptor there was a Honda rep. in the dealership that asked me several questions. He obviously didn't tell me what this is for but he was asking questions like what lured me into buying a Raptor, if I had to choose a quad right now what are some of the most important attributes I look at, etc. Very vague questions but was undoubtedly gathering market research. I'm not losing any sleep wondering where the new Honda is and I'm not losing any sleep thinking about this new YZF. The YZF has to prove it's long term reliability to me before I'd even consider purchasing one so as of right now it's a non-issue for me. I've also anxiously awaited every September for the dealer show where Honda announces the new sport quad but I keep getting let down with Rincon's, Aquatrax's, 250EX's, etc. The dealer show no longer excites me. If I wake up the morning after this September's dealer show and you guys are posting pics of a new Honda, then I'll start budgeting. As of right now I'll keep riding the trusty ol' EX.

250EXking
06-06-2003, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Yup that 250ex took pretty much everyone by surprise.:D

you trying to say something;)

GETSOME
06-06-2003, 06:00 AM
A couple of pages back on the open forum I started a thread giving my vote that honda will take the XR 650 motor and put it in a quad frame. XR 650 motors have made COUNTLESS appearances at the Baja 1000 and 500 in 400EX frames.

Ralph
06-06-2003, 06:11 AM
if honda releseses a ****y 650 im going yami!

twisted threads
06-06-2003, 06:45 AM
I really think it would be a great idea if Honda made a 650 to spank on the Raptor BUT ITS a MUST that they make a 450 also. Like I have said before im going to give Honda untill 2004 and if they dont have a new quad out by then im going to...........freak out!!:scary: :cool:

born-to-race
06-06-2003, 10:21 AM
What's wrong with a xr650? The rapter did really good for sales.
But I agree that they need to release a 450 to compeat.

hawiianpwr
06-06-2003, 10:43 AM
I agree with ya Twisted. They should come out with both. Personally I'd like to see them come out with the 450:D

brif
06-06-2003, 10:54 AM
I think if Honda came out with a 650 before Suzuki released the z it would have been the right decision. Now that the z , kfx and the yzf are here, then consider the pro-production class I think Honda would be best off releasing a 450. :)

phatswinn
06-06-2003, 01:34 PM
the sound of a 650 quad from handa makes me want to go buy....

a ricer:(

toby400ex
06-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Ill just stick to my lawn mower on noz:o

coryatver
06-06-2003, 03:47 PM
I don't understand why honda would release a 650. The big thing now is the 440 motocross pro production class and it is getting a lot of attention. It will get even more now that the new yamaha is out. If they do make a 650 for sport riding they better updated the 400ex to a 440 motor. Honda doesn't hype up there new models like yamaha they will release it to everyone at the same time.

MCSS
06-06-2003, 04:43 PM
I like the idea of a 650ex because of its bullet proof motor. Just because it is a 650 does not mean that it would corner like a raptor. The 450F motor uses revs to make its power while the 650 makes its power on torque. The 450F motor would make a good quad motor but it would require more maintenance especially on the top end. Honda will not come out with an atv that is high in maintenance. A new rumor that ATV Action started is that Honda might come out with a new 440 oval piston, single cylinder, twin sparkplug, 8 valve motor. I think that Honda invented the oval piston just like they invented the top end of the crf motor in its auto racing division. What ever Honda comes out with, it will be better than anything out there.

Giz400ex
06-07-2003, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Str8Wicked
Yeah Whatever.....

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Yeah, check your pm box:mad:

lil400exman
06-07-2003, 04:43 AM
i talked to honda of troy and a honda rep there and they know about exriders and they have told me they read this page..... ever see the vistors...well those are honda ppl and they are getting info from us right now without us even knowing it!:p keep up the work HONDA! i am thinking from talking to guys at honda (these are NO facts) but they have been talking aluminum frame and a detuned 450:rolleyes: but i was looking at a 400ex intake and there are gobs of pwoer that can be made there;)

GETSOME
06-07-2003, 04:44 AM
It doesn't matter if honda comes out with a 450 first or a 650 or both at the same time. As soon as honda comes out with a new quad, every guy and his dog on this forum is going to be blowing it in their pants!!! :eek2:

dhines
06-07-2003, 05:00 AM
The new Yammy is just looking too awesome. I'm not at all interested in a 650 because of the weight. I've never owned anything but a Honda ATV and I certainly believe in their quality (2 400EX's, plus 2 Acura cars, a Honda lawnmower, Honda pressure washer, etc.) but either they anounce something very exciting (450-ish) in the next 6 months or I'm going blue...

Ralph
06-08-2003, 12:15 PM
650's are no fun unless u are a desert racer or some**** like that,

i want a powerfull 440-450 and if they make a 650 its either custom chassys and 450 motor or 426 or the new yammi if it holds up

GETSOME
06-08-2003, 12:30 PM
60hp = XR650 motor

More reliable than CRF450 which has less piston rings to reduce friction.

CRF450 = not 60hp

400exredrider
06-08-2003, 01:59 PM
But Hey you guys know somethin Sport ATVs are soon going to end up like dirtbikes all the companys will hvae out a certain cc like 450 and all you will hafto do is pick between brands.if it did end up that way.which it most likely will then you know everyone would pick honda because of reliablity so its your decision be patient to wait for it or dont be patient and go out and buy your self a yfz450 or a kfx400 or a predator or somthing that is in the range just what i think its coming to:D ;) :devil:

400grl
06-08-2003, 05:50 PM
I just think it's going to be interesting when all the people that are getting impatient with Honda see what Honda releases. I don't mind waiting. It's hard - I have to swallow some pride and get envious at times - but I honestly don't mind too much. Good things are worth the wait. Look at the 250R - look at the 400EX - look at how they kicked ***** when they came out and raised the bar. I think that the reason Honda has been waiting so long is to be sure they keep up a good product, be sure they give what the riders want, learn from the competition, and they want to be sure that they hold up the Honda name of reliability as well as rideability. I would rather their test riders work out the bugs than me.....any day. And I can wait for that.

Besides, I still haven't gotten my full "throttle-thumb" strength going on my 440 (meaning I'm still a partial weenie) - I don't deserve anything faster yet! ;)

Vtr_Racing
06-08-2003, 08:15 PM

Nice to see ya still around Mickey.......I think we will all be pleasantly surprised when it comes out. :eek2: