PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on riding geer!

wilson10
06-04-2003, 06:10 PM
Well I just got my quad about a month ago and just ordered a new Suomy helmet and Smith goggles, but I was really considering atleast new boots (Sidi) and possibly Jersey, pants, chest protector and gloves. Thing is I am also buying new tires and wheels and would really like a few more goodies (new bumper, skid plates, and a graphic/seat kit for the orange plastic) but wife will only let me spend so much. So if i don't plan to race do I really need all the gear? I mean those of you that don't race but may occasionally visit a track to mess around do you have all this gear and wear it all the time? I just don't know if I will get lazy and not want to throw it on and just go in jeans and a T or if I will feel funny wearing all that just to trail ride.

Just looking for a few opinions and personal experiences. I would hate to spend 200-300 on gear and not use it much. But on the other hand I am all about safety etc............. :confused2

Thanks!

QuAdRaCeR244
06-04-2003, 06:24 PM
it's gear not geer;)

and if you do buy get get Thor! i love it, it is all i will wear

310Rduner
06-04-2003, 06:47 PM
get Thor, and forget about the jeans.. the pre-bent knees and all of the other effort and choice of the material makes it more comfortable than anything else you could wear.

and yes buy a chest protector too, even if you dont get roosted it is well worth it when you crash. ive got scratches on the back on my chest protector from when i decided to roll around 4-5 times underneath my frame... body turned into a curb lol. much better to get plastic scratched than your back or arse...:chinese: :p

310Rduner
06-04-2003, 06:49 PM
pic of me and all my Thor gear... get cor5 btw if you do choose to get gear, its the best out there i think.

FourFiftyFour
06-04-2003, 06:50 PM
also if u tend to get bruises on the insides of your knees... get those knee/shin guard things.. those work miracles....

tryken
06-04-2003, 06:58 PM
If you ride smart and don't get outta control a helmet and goggles will be fine. Spend the money on go fast stuff for the quad first. Then tell your wife that you need the protection b/c your quad is alot faster than it used to be.

wilson10
06-05-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
also if u tend to get bruises on the insides of your knees... get those knee/shin guard things.. those work miracles....

LMAO good idea but she says its fast enough now. Actually wasn't really buying any go fast goodies. I already have a full E-series jet and webcam. So need to protect it some but maybe I should protect myself first ;) So the Thor stuff is nice huh......I looked at the Core5 Bud Light replica (my beer of choice) but I really like the shift stuff. I like to be a lil different so long as its not Fox I don't really care ;) Thanks for input so far guys (and gals ;) )

Taco
06-05-2003, 01:50 AM
Oneal Appocalypse:D I can't stand tight gear and I like to cover my boots up.

spincr4hire
06-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Oneal Appocalypse:D I can't stand tight gear and I like to cover my boots up.
I love my Apocalypse pants...good stuff

Silverfox@C&DRacing
06-05-2003, 03:52 AM
I would suggest at least get the BOOTS (for me that is a must have) and a chest protector... The jeans and t shirt is ok but like someone said the pants with the prebent knees or the baggier style are great. Jeans tucked into boots HURTS.. I do like the thor gear and the oneal apocalypse pants, LBZ is cool also..

Doibugu2
06-05-2003, 04:36 AM
I rode all last year without gear, and finally bought gear over the winter.

I'm kicking myself now for not getting it sooner. Boots are awesome to wear. They protect your legs so much better. All I do is trail ride so I am constantly getting wacked with tree limbs. Also the pants are expensive but worth it. I used to ride with jeans or windbreaker type stuff. Well when you get wet the jeans never dry and the windbreaker stuff tears easy.

The gear is much cooler, dries quickly, and is more comfortable.

I have shift cloths and Sidi boots and I like them a lot. My buddy has the apacolpse stuff and his is nice too.

David
06-05-2003, 04:43 AM
SHIFT then FOX

www.shiftmx.com
www.foxracing.com

JLanphear
06-05-2003, 04:47 AM
I just got my stuff from www.speedrag.com , very nice. The Tech Pants that they have would make a good casual riding pant, they are very tough and have padding and stuff in the impact areas. They are designed for motorcycles, but I really like them for quad use.

-Josh