PDA

View Full Version : Heres what Yamaha says about the new yzf 450

tryken
06-04-2003, 05:02 PM
Welcome To the New ATV World Order

If you've heard it, you can't forget the awesome sound of the liquid-cooled DOHC five titanium-valved single in the baddest motocrosser ever built - the YZ450F.

We had no choice but to adapt that engine for use in the most serious ATV the planet's ever come up against. We call it the YFZ450, and nobody else builds anything like it.

Not only is the hybrid 439cc DOHC titanium-valved five-speed engine far superior to anything that's come before, at 350 pounds, the YFZ450 is endowed with the highest power-to-weight ratio of any four-stroke ATV ever built.

Yes, it even has electric start, and when you open the 39mm Keihin carburetor all the way and take aim, you'll also appreciate the lowest center of gravity in the class and the latest industry-leading suspension technology.

But we’re just getting warmed up here, so why don’t you visit the Features & Benefits page to get a closer look at the YFZ450's list of incredible features.

You'll see, it all adds up to the lightest, most powerful, best-handling ATV ever produced. It's simple. You'll either be riding a YFZ450 this season or trying to catch up to one.

Manufacturer's Sugg. Retail Price...$6,899*

tryken
06-04-2003, 05:04 PM
$6,899* Available from June 2003

Engine
Type 439cc, 4-Stroke Single, Liquid Cooled w/ Fan, Titanium 5-Valve DOHC
Bore x Stroke 95mm x 62mm
Compression Ratio 11.9:1
Carburetion Keihin 39mm FCR w/ Throttle Position Sensor
Ignition DC - CDI
Starting System Electric
Transmission 5-Speed Manual Clutch
Drive Train 2WD; Sealed O-Ring Chain
Chassis
Suspension/Front Independent Double Wishbone, 9.1” w/ Compression and Threaded Preload Adjustment
Suspension/Rear Aluminum Swing Arm, 10.1” w/ Rebound, Compression and Threaded Preload Adjustment
Brakes/Front Dual Hydraulic Disc, Twin Piston
Brakes/Rear Hydraulic Disc
Tires/Front AT21 x 7-10 Radial
Tires/Rear AT20 x 10-9 Radial
Dimensions
L x W x H 72.4” x 46.1” x 42.9”
Seat Height 31.5”
Wheelbase 50.4”
Ground Clearance 4.4”
Fuel Capacity 2.6 Gallons
Dry Weight 350 Lbs.
Other
Lighting Dual 30W Krypton Multi-reflector Headlights & 21/5W Brake light
Colors Team Yamaha Blue/White; White/Red
Warranty 6 Month (Limited Factory Warranty)

tryken
06-04-2003, 05:21 PM
No reverse as I expedted. Much more expensive than I thought it would be. What does everyone think.

Nausty
06-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by tryken
No reverse as I expedted. Much more expensive than I thought it would be. What does everyone think.

what do I think? I think I need to go out to get a rope from the shed and hang myself. Lol. I really really hope it doesn't handle as good as they say it does.

JUSTINcredible
06-04-2003, 05:31 PM
350 Ibs.!!!!! what does a blaster weigh?? 330??

batgeek
06-04-2003, 05:32 PM
yeah thats what caught my attention the most 350lbs dry weight!

Nausty
06-04-2003, 05:33 PM
yes but thats dry weight on a liquid cooled machine. Just weight tell all the oil, coolant, grease, gas is all added in. Not to mention the numbers might be a little fudged as it is.

AZblaster44
06-04-2003, 05:33 PM
close it's like 320 sumthin, and I too hope it doesnt handle like they say it does.......that is unless i get one:blah:

newjacksm
06-04-2003, 05:35 PM
350 witb eletric start and battery and stuff. you can get a kick starter for it. Its said that it will shed 30 more pounds if u do take out the battery and electric start :eek2:

06-04-2003, 06:13 PM
bout time yami made a decent machine, but since I have not seen one that time is still not here.

twisted threads
06-04-2003, 10:58 PM
It looks like Yamaha moved the bar up a few spots with this bike. It does have a big price tag on it though but if the YZF goes like It says its does I dont think people will care. It looks like im going to start saving my money and if honda dont have a new quad out by winter I might half to go BLUE!:huh

killed300ex
06-04-2003, 11:38 PM
one thing that caught my eye in looking at it is that it takes race gas from factory i wonder how many people are going to blow up their engines because they arnt using race gas? Also that seems like a damn lot for that quad last time i saw a quad that expensive the buisness went out 1 year later! hope it proves true again
killed

sweet300ex
06-04-2003, 11:53 PM
I've gotta admit, Yamaha did a good job for once, I mean it has a 50" wheelbase!

mxdave28
06-05-2003, 12:49 AM
hehehe well, i remember seeing in one of these other threads last night that somebody said it looked like a mosquito on crack or something to that effect hehehehe, if you look at the straight on shot of it, i think it kinda looks like a King Cobra, shocks are the fangs:D cant wiat to see one up close and check things out first hand.

mxdave28
06-05-2003, 12:55 AM
hehehe well, i remember seeing in one of these other threads last night that somebody said it looked like a mosquito on crack or something to that effect hehehehe, if you look at the straight on shot of it, i think it kinda looks like a King Cobra, shocks are the fangs:D cant wiat to see one up close and check things out first hand.

jmoney45
06-05-2003, 12:58 AM
How about the 11.9:1 piston and FCR stock? Doesn't seem like they detuned it that much. I can't wait to see one of these and hear how it performs.

Taco
06-05-2003, 01:10 AM
I aint sellin my 400ex yet. After all its still a First Year Yamaha.:D

06-05-2003, 01:34 AM
I'm picking mine up at lunch today i'll tell ya how I like it after i take it for a ride....:blah:

Taco
06-05-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I'm picking mine up at lunch today i'll tell ya how I like it after i take it for a ride....:blah: :eek:

Chanman420q
06-05-2003, 02:10 AM
i think what im going to do is wait after the first year or 2. see what problems come up, get some performance parts made and if all is fine and dandy then im selling my EX. So i better start saving now :blah:

Im not sure about that compression level tho..... I think they need to take that electric start out and put a lower compression piston. Because if i have to buy race gas every time i wanna go riding, then forget it, it already costs to much as it is.

Oh and u think this Yamaha is sick, wait til honda tops it ;)

racerx573
06-05-2003, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by killed300ex
one thing that caught my eye in looking at it is that it takes race gas from factory i wonder how many people are going to blow up their engines because they arnt using race gas? Also that seems like a damn lot for that quad last time i saw a quad that expensive the buisness went out 1 year later! hope it proves true again
killed

If youre saying that because of what is says on ********.com then I think it means 93 octane or higher.

This is what is says on the scene.

"The compression ratio is 11.9:1 so you'll want to feed this monster at least premium unleaded fuel."

dhines
06-05-2003, 03:40 AM
Yeah, check out the article on ********. They claim that Yamaha didn't detune the engine one bit. Yamaha will also be offering performance ads-ons for the machine like pipes, pistons, extended a-arms, etc.

I have to say that it is perhaps the most impressive machine, on paper, that I've seen to-date. Even the Cannondales didn't compete at this price-point. This bad-boy is ready to race for $6899 and only the moto and the blaze (at several $$ thousand more) from Cannondale had comparable performance packages.

Fully adjustable shocks with piggies, over an inch more travel front and back than the 400, magnesium quick-release clutch cover, wide pegs with kick-ups - this thing looks BAAAD! The same guy from Yamaha who built the YZ bike built this machine and he claims that "The YFZ [the quad] is our greatest accomplishment ever." Sounds promising!

Of course we'll have to see how it holds up but if Honda doesn't do something soon they may just lose me as a customer...

400exrules
06-05-2003, 03:41 AM
they say its 10 times better then the R and its going to replace it. I really think many racers will use this bbike in pro production but I would only buy that bike if I raced cuz u have to deal with the racing fuel and the price is alittle hi, i would stick with honda if u didnt want to pay a whole lot for a quad if u arent going to race or even if u race alittle. The YZF450 seems like it should be best for ppl who are going to use it to race only.

forum
06-05-2003, 06:06 AM
after reading the specs on it. Im buying one ofrsure!. Im fixing up my 400ex to get ready to sell it. Then i just need a few more bucks. the price is outragous. but this thing rocks!. THe specs are amazing!.. ALuminium subframe design is sick! My blood is blue!

GOMER007
06-05-2003, 06:28 AM
I think it's time to get our EX's dun up so wee can kick sum yamahuggy but!just might take a little time:ermm:

airheadedduner
06-05-2003, 08:13 AM
Anyone else notice that it is 439cc?!?!?!:D

They where thinking when they came up witht his one. To bad the R won't bring in what they want for one of them. That is sweet:cool:

Nausty
06-05-2003, 08:16 AM
I think we have our modern day 250r....

lol, its like the 80's again.

Got Huevos?
06-05-2003, 09:09 AM
if Honda is smart they will bring something back or build something new to be the next R

Merriman
06-05-2003, 09:21 AM
I just talked to my Yamaha dealer (about an hour ago to be precise) the sales rep there had alot of info on it already. Besides the info you get off the web, he stated that it has more HP than the raptor (obvious) but that it would be around the 50HP mark which would be outstanding. He also is getting a couple in 3 weeks, 3 are already sold, but he'll have a few more up for purchase. he ran the numbers for it, and after all the BS charges they add to it, out the door is about 7500.00 bucks. I just may have to buy one.....we shall see.

AL81
06-05-2003, 09:33 AM
I think the sweetest thing about it is that you can take out the battery and all the electrical stuff and put a kick start on it with it weighing 20 pounds or lighter and you can also buy a yzf 450 cam and put in it, this thing is awsome i think

Merriman
06-05-2003, 11:41 AM
The yamaha dealer told me it was a little over 10lbs savings with the kickstater, but when you change the exhaust you'll save close to another 10lbs. Also it comes with the ysf intake cam, and a wrf exhaust cam. He said it was for faster throttle response, and a better low end that the quad will need.

CBW
06-05-2003, 12:13 PM
My red/white one is on order as we speak:D

anybody want to buy an R:devil:

250xex
06-05-2003, 12:52 PM
If you take out the eletric starter and add the kicker on, would you need the decommpression lever thing, like they have on the bikes?

dabombdale
06-05-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by CBW
My red/white one is on order as we speak:D

anybody want to buy an R:devil:

i cant wait to see one of these chromed up, let me be the first to say congradulations

400EXrider#91
06-05-2003, 01:45 PM
when will they hit the dealers??? i just wanna know when i can pick mine up:eek:

la400ex
06-05-2003, 02:03 PM
@#(##$%%#$!!!! Finally getting my R going and now this comes out. Figures. Oh well, its way out of my price range anyway. Maybe in a few years.